Goodbye Argyle, thanks for the memories. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Goodbye Argyle, thanks for the memories.

May 16, 2016
Thank goodness for technology :)

I'm only a 50% er away but that's enough to have developed RSI in my thumb from overuse of the phone. I was away a lot in my younger days and relied on BBC World service for scores and whatever papers got sent. The occasional fanzine helped.

Matchdays are the worst. Argyle World on the headphones coupled with constant flicking between here, the BBC site and dashing indoors to catch Skysports news updates (wife allowing). The feelings you get are the same, trying hard not to shout random weirdness is a little more difficult.

The hardest part is admitting that your life really is planned around the fixtures. I'm lucky in that I'm close enough to return briefly for the run in games, hopefully the clincher. Either way, as said, it doesn't leave you, it stays with you. (Imagine an Argyle version of the end of the film "Ghost" ;) )

Good luck with the move.

Feb 21, 2011
There is another P.A.F.C. Based down in Adelaide, admittedly they play a strange variation of "football".

AdelaideGreen

πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί
Jan 11, 2017
BadBoy":d8wjr0zk said:
There is another P.A.F.C. Based down in Adelaide, admittedly they play a strange variation of "football".

As an Argyle "exile" now living in Oz, Port Adelaide Football Club (PAFC) is definitely NOT my poison of choice, even if on a dark night their "teal, black and white" colours might look familiar. Aussie rules is well worth a look at though.

With today's technology, staying in contact with what is going on is getting easier and easier. I am not aware of an "Argyle down under" fan club, but I would join one if it existed.

You may be interested in watching matches in the National A league - but don't expect too much. Decent games sometimes (about Div 1 standard), but all the clubs are new with little tradition. Tradition exists at lower (state league) levels, but they are still largely "ethnic" based.

So, like me, don't stop supporting Argyle!! That form of masochism is still possible Down Under :greensmile:

Melbourne Green

Jul 12, 2005
Where in Oz are you moving to?

It's pretty easy following Argyle from afar, but there's always the A League over here, which is getting better each year.

You'll also have to get into the local footy (rhymes with 'goody' not 'Sooty'!) code - if you're in Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth it'll be AFL, Sydney or Brisbane is rugby league. Tassie is mostly AFL, but they're a bit odd over there :)

Whilst there's things I miss about Europe, there's no doubt that we're pretty lucky to live here. All the best with the move.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Mork. I note from below your avatar that you are leaving St Mawes for Oz. That must be one hell of a wrench. I love to walk with a mate from St Just in Roseland around to St Mawes and have a liquid lunch in one of the villages 2 pubs.
Ignoring Argyle for a moment, I could not easily forego overlooking that fantastic waterfront. Perhaps you can wangle something similar around Sydney. Good Luck and I hope the Argyle withdrawal process will not be too hard.

Keepitgreen":3a9i6uo5 said:
Mork":3a9i6uo5 said:
smudja":3a9i6uo5 said:
Subscribe to the Argyle tv service and watch the whole games rsther than just match day moments
Thanks smudja, can honestly say I didn't realise this exists.
Do you have the link?
All the best with the move Mork.

The link you need is:

http://www.pafctv.co.uk

"The service is available without any geographic restrictions – wherever you are in the world, you can sign up and watch".

The problem with that is that you have to avoid all contact with social media, email, pasoti, everything, lest you find out the score in advance. Even gambling websites you see the score before you hear it on the comms. You'll find new ways of getting your fix. I've listened to argyle on racing yachts, on beaches during volleyball games, in packed pubs with plastic fc v another plastic fc. You'll be on p@soto more than ever, you'll be scratching around for every little detail which you'd never considered when you were in the UK.

What you will miss though is the matchday smell, the real beer, the accents, the pasties.

Good luck!

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Good luck Mork!

I know it is a wrench, I have been in Italy a few years now (at least I can get back to HP a few times a season) but, if anything, you become even greener than before.

For a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon (or during the week) you are in England, in Plymouth or Accrington or wherever... Italy and Australia don't exist for that time, you and all of us exiles are Argyle!

Enjoy Oz but remember, whatever Mrs Mork says, it's more than a game!

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
βœ… Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
If you are heading to Perth, ex-Pilgrim Shane Lowry plays for Perth Glory in the A-League.

Mork

Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Ottawa Green":nnimzmgk said:
Mork as an expat i wish you good luck in your venture, I think i have become much more of a fanatic about Argyle since the introduction of the Internet, when i lived in Plymouth up to the age of 16 the only time i thought of Argyle was game day, then when we moved to Canada my only way of getting any news was from the Sunday Independent and the Football Herald which arrived about 2 weeks after the game, i could get the BBC shortwave so i at least new the score but no details. Then along came the Internet, the very first thing i searched was Plymouth Argyle and then i was hooked and one of the first sites i saw was PASOTI, so that would be back around 1996, this was the first way i could get instant Argyle info without being in Plymouth.
Today we have video, live tv (stream), facebook, twitter etc. you will be in Australia but you will have instant news.

Enjoy Oz
Thanks Ottawa

Mork

Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
TinTin":yqeyc0y1 said:
Mork, you ask how Ottawa Green and I survive in your opening post ?

Good question !

I am only away for just under a year each trip - the academic year - so get home [Plymouth] for July and August each year.

The beginning of the season so catch 2 or 3 games before I return.

Yes, like most of the guys, I have modern technology to utilise and keep up-to-date with PAFC - Argyle Player, Pasoti, Match Moments, The Herald and Argyle Chat etc.

Yes, I DO miss the games and

The Britannia [my local] and my mates I meet before the game on Match Day.

BUT all these important things are NOT as big as the bigger picture - your are emigrating !

A new way of life, new environment, new this and that in Oz.

Sounds wonderful and I have shared my mate, Greeneagle's, experiences of living in Oz and tasted a little of it through him.

Mork, I wish you and the family all the luck in the world - Argyle will always be here !

And finally.......................

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Very kind Tin Tin thank you

Mork

Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Koala Green":3kypxvez said:
G'day Mork,

Welcome to OZ!

Firstly I get where you are coming from, you will miss Argyle a but not as much as you may think. However you cherish any visit back to the UK and build it around the fixture list! I still keep connected as much as possible to Argyle this includes:

Listening late nights or early mornings to the games on Argyle World Radio, waiting in anticipation 24 hours for Argyle 10 min highlights, Loving Matchday moments to give me that sens eof being there, reading the Herald every day, checking out Pasoti, and then surprisingly I will be seeing my 5th live game of the season for Argyle this year on TV in OZ (on ESPN or BE INSports channels). You'll miss the Saturday afternoon buzz which is uniquely England (Aussie sporting events do not have the tribal rivalry of football in England) with Final Score/ Gillette Soccer Saturday or 606 or watching Argyle. But there are enough football loving Poms to banter with and actually it is enjoyable to be sat in my shorts, flip flops by the pool in 30 degree heat listening to Argyle with a cold beer in hand while everyone in Home Park is freezing their t1ts off on a cold January evening!
Thanks for this, I'm trying to look at the positives.

Mork

Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Guiri Green":2tpbfui3 said:
Thank goodness for technology :)

I'm only a 50% er away but that's enough to have developed RSI in my thumb from overuse of the phone. I was away a lot in my younger days and relied on BBC World service for scores and whatever papers got sent. The occasional fanzine helped.

Matchdays are the worst. Argyle World on the headphones coupled with constant flicking between here, the BBC site and dashing indoors to catch Skysports news updates (wife allowing). The feelings you get are the same, trying hard not to shout random weirdness is a little more difficult.

The hardest part is admitting that your life really is planned around the fixtures. I'm lucky in that I'm close enough to return briefly for the run in games, hopefully the clincher. Either way, as said, it doesn't leave you, it stays with you. (Imagine an Argyle version of the end of the film "Ghost" ;) )

Good luck with the move.
Thanks Guiri

Mork

Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Richard Allan":2ls8rbj4 said:
Where in Oz? Perth is like little Plymouth....definatley a few Argyle meet ups could be arranged I'm sure.
Initially going to Forester NSW, and will probably settle two hours either side. However we have got relations in Perth, so you never know. Cheers!

Mork

Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Lousy_Pint":38uwvyyp said:
Good luck Mork!

I know it is a wrench, I have been in Italy a few years now (at least I can get back to HP a few times a season) but, if anything, you become even greener than before.

For a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon (or during the week) you are in England, in Plymouth or Accrington or wherever... Italy and Australia don't exist for that time, you and all of us exiles are Argyle!

Enjoy Oz but remember, whatever Mrs Mork says, it's more than a game!
Thanks lousy! Appreciate it.