Grandstand/PCC | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grandstand/PCC

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I'm not sure how anyone can criticise the council. They've ensured the safety of the club twice now, by 1) purchasing Home Park and 2) providing a loan to pay off the football creditors.

Anyone can see that Bretonside is a far more suitable place for an Imax and retail/restaurants, and Plymouth needed a new bus station. What we want to see now is a sport and leisure (minus cinema and fast food eateries) complex being developed at HP instead....but funded by who??

EDIT: I actually agree with the statement that the West End is a more suitable place and that further East End development is unhelpful. But then Central Park isn't exactly an ideal location either. Interesting times ahead!

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
If HHP had been good enough then tenants would be signed up and building would have started by now. Ultimately Bretonside is being driven by people who know what they are doing and HPP is seeming rudderless by comparison. The whole thing, especially the ministand, was a balls up from the start.

I agree with a fair few of the points raised in the PAFC statement, but also feel that the statements reads like one long excuse. Ultimately PCC are not "shafting" Argyle, their is no need for "war to break out" (ffs boys), the council are doing their job comparing all plans on their merits and the likelihood of delivering them. HHP has been a disaster from day 1.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
IJN":2rotl7m6 said:
Agree with all of that Jerry, every word.

Perhaps the Council could flog Brickfields for development as well.

Let's have a centre of sporting excellence at Home Park, I think we'd all be happy with that.

We can also have our 25,000 seater stadium as well.

The job's a good one.

I personally wouldn't be happy with egg-ball being played at HP. :scarf:

Oct 24, 2010
This is really confirmation that PCC will not be funding the construction of the stand. HHP has been a dead duck for a while. If the Bretonside development is to blame then I can't see PCC not giving planning consent, they are unlikely to turn their noses up at millions of pounds worth of investment in the city by a developer with a proven track record.

We got to the Championship before with the old stand and we can do it again.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Disagree 100% Richard.

Not a chance in hell in my book.

We need a Grandstand (and extra seats).

Just praying that PCC come up with the wherewithal as our Landlord.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Your average person on the street in Plymouth doesn't give two hoots about Argyle - sorry, but that's true.

They're far more likely to care about new leisure facilities at Bretonside, which has badly needed demolishing for years - it's an absolute disgrace as it is.

A hotel etc in the middle of Central Park still makes no sense - the only reason for it being there is because Brent wants to exploit the land he's got access to.

PCC should, and will, consider that - taxpayer money is not there to assist Brent's business interests when he's failed to close the deals he intimated several times were nailed on. Plymouth as a city cannot sit and wait for Brent to get something done.

I maintain what I've said all along - the Mayflower as it is will still be there in 10 years time.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
IJN":1ut8vmsq said:
Pafcintheplace":1ut8vmsq said:
he's had plenty of time to get the diggers in.

That would make sense wouldn't it?

Spend (say) £300k in ground works, without the required number of tenants signed up. :facepalm:

I don't think that Pafcintheplace's post was meant in quite the literal sense you've taken it in there.

Feb 26, 2011
I didn't read the full statement, but the way I see it Brent has had plenty of time to build the stand and adjoining structures, but we are yet to see and diggers. The city wants to move forward and if the club are not in a position to build why should they wait? I see it as the council putting pressure on the club to get a move on and rightly so.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Andy, I think the main point is, IF PCC doesn't supply the tenant (PAFC) with a Grandstand fit for use, then we are stuffed.

We'll be a fourth tier club for the foreseeable future, and that's a sad state of affairs.

I agree with you about the average Plymothian. I would love our club to be called just 'Argyle' in recognition of that fact.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
up_the_line":3hfz1vzc said:
IJN":3hfz1vzc said:
Pafcintheplace":3hfz1vzc said:
he's had plenty of time to get the diggers in.

That would make sense wouldn't it?

Spend (say) £300k in ground works, without the required number of tenants signed up. :facepalm:

I don't think that Pafcintheplace's post was meant in quite the literal sense you've taken it in there.

If that's the case, then I apologise.

I'm sure Dave Burns did though. :greensmile:

Sep 28, 2003
London
Why does the Mayflower staying as it is mean we can't get promoted? We've still got resources that comfortably outstrip most teams in our current league.

Teams with far less going for them than us get promoted all the time - Yeovil got in the Championship, for crying out loud.

There is absolutely no basis in fact for the "don't accept the deal as it is and we're doomed to staying in League 2 forever" argument.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Perhaps I should have said bottom two leagues.

The chances of us getting to the Championship are slim in my eyes, and of staying there, with these facilities, almost impossible.

You can believe it if you want, I certainly won't.

Sep 28, 2003
London
It might be easier with better facilities, sure - but the only difference between now and when we rose up the leagues (and maintained our place in the Championship) before is that there's no-one standing on the Mayflower.

Good managers and players get clubs promoted - ice rinks and cinemas do not.

Oct 24, 2010
IJN":1wkbm8oo said:
Perhaps I should have said bottom two leagues.

The chances of us getting to the Championship are slim in my eyes, and of staying there, with these facilities, almost impossible.

You can believe it if you want, I certainly won't.
The chances of staying in the Championship for long with a17,000 capacity stadium are also very slim, Ian.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Andy Holland":s1i2mfu1 said:
It might be easier with better facilities, sure - but the only difference between now and when we rose up the leagues (and maintained our place in the Championship) before is that there's no-one standing on the Mayflower.

Good managers and players get clubs promoted - ice rinks and cinemas do not.

Where does the money come from that provides the good managers and players?

I seem to remember someone saying that Chesterfield's income from their new stadium dwarved ours, despite being a significantly smaller club and ground. They're now in League One, having been able to fund stellar lower league acquisitions like Gary Roberts and Eoin Doyle while in League 2.