Grandstand/PCC | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grandstand/PCC

Mar 14, 2009
I read the statement and my first thought was "oh we going to give up, if we don't get our own way"!!

I cant for the life of me think why Argyle have released the following statement because it sounds nothing more than a tantrum because everything is not going our way. If I was in the council, I would be wondering what exactly does this statement do apart from put the blame on the failings of the grandstand being built at the council's feet when for some time now we have said shouldn't the Argyle board have a PLAN B!

However, the bit where I agree is that I don't even know why the council thinks why putting a cinema within touching distance of one already in place is a good idea. Its like they have no idea of how to pay for redevelopment unless we put a cinema on site.

I am really disappointment by the statement. Its very defeatist. When you read the article it seems makes a lot of claims, except like people have pointed out Bournemouth and Brentford are flying high in championship so they can achieve sustainable championship football on a tight budget. Yet accordingly to our board it is impossible. Its not impossible, its just they aren't getting their own way and basically stating if you don't give us what you want the football club wont be progressing because we lack the vision to take this further.

I get really angry and annoyed sometimes about how clever people supposedly only know one way of dealing with a plan.

If we all had this defeatist attitude a couple of years back there wont even be an Argyle to support! Imagine if all the staff at PAFC had decided that they might as well give up because they weren't getting paid at the time. Really, really makes me :furious: that Argyle are making ultimatums. Has it really come down to this?

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":6gobvguw said:
I read the statement and my first thought was "oh we going to give up, if we don't get our own way"!!

I cant for the life of me think why Argyle have released the following statement because it sounds nothing more than a tantrum because everything is not going our way. If I was in the council, I would be wondering what exactly does this statement do apart from put the blame on the failings of the grandstand being built at the council's feet when for some time now we have said shouldn't the Argyle board have a PLAN B!

However, the bit where I agree is that I don't even know why the council thinks why putting a cinema within touching distance of one already in place is a good idea. Its like they have no idea of how to pay for redevelopment unless we put a cinema on site.

I am really disappointment by the statement. Its very defeatist. When you read the article it seems makes a lot of claims, except like people have pointed out Bournemouth and Brentford are flying high in championship so they can achieve sustainable championship football on a tight budget. Yet accordingly to our board it is impossible. Its not impossible, its just they aren't getting their own way and basically stating if you don't give us what you want the football club wont be progressing because we lack the vision to take this further.

I get really angry and annoyed sometimes about how clever people supposedly only know one way of dealing with a plan.

If we all had this defeatist attitude a couple of years back there wont even be an Argyle to support! Imagine if all the staff at PAFC had decided that they might as well give up because they weren't getting paid at the time. Really, really makes me :furious: that Argyle at making ultimatums. Has it really come down to this?
Sad but true unfortunately.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'm not sure that Brentford or Bournemouth are achieving 'sustainable championship football on a tight budget' MGM. They're certainly achieving it on ting crowds, but that's not the same thing is it?

As for 'Plan B' - That seemed to be, according to very strong rumours, a Grandstand to be built by PCC. That's what worrying me about this apparent falling out.

Why on earth would PAFC fall out with PCC if that was the case? It would appear that isn't the case, so another cause for concern methinks.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
IJN":1pxpn3b0 said:
I'm not sure that Brentford or Bournemouth are achieving 'sustainable championship football on a tight budget' MGM. They're certainly achieving it on ting crowds, but that's not the same thing is it?

As for 'Plan B' - That seemed to be, according to very strong rumours, a Grandstand to be built by PCC. That's what worrying me about this apparent falling out.

Why on earth would PAFC fall out with PCC if that was the case? It would appear that isn't the case, so another cause for concern methinks.

So the PCC was definitely the 'city institution' the statement refers to? It does seem odd that the club is questioning the PCC and referring to them separately as a partner in the same breath.

It wasn't the University? Plymouth University Mayflower Stand sounds pretty good. With teaching facilities included, would that be a good investment for them?

G

Greenskin

Andy Holland":3u4zb7tl said:
Biggs":3u4zb7tl said:
Andy Holland":3u4zb7tl said:
It might be easier with better facilities, sure - but the only difference between now and when we rose up the leagues (and maintained our place in the Championship) before is that there's no-one standing on the Mayflower.

Good managers and players get clubs promoted - ice rinks and cinemas do not.

Where does the money come from that provides the good managers and players?

I seem to remember someone saying that Chesterfield's income from their new stadium dwarved ours, despite being a significantly smaller club and ground. They're now in League One, having been able to fund stellar lower league acquisitions like Gary Roberts and Eoin Doyle while in League 2.

Where did the money come from before?
Does every club that gets promoted have adequate conferencing facilities?

As I remember, quite a lot of it came from Nick Warren.

Jan 29, 2010
plymouth
Does anybody know the identity of these people who are going to give us £1,000,000 per year to have a conference in the new grandstand ? It sounds as much a fantasy as the world cup bid and the HHP scheme.

C

Cobi Budge.

Bournemouth and especially Brentford have small stadiums, with small crowds, both are in the championship, and neither have sugar daddies behind them.

I think the bit about getting back in to the championship being a pipe dream without a new stand is utter poppycock, and really quite a desperate, defeatist thing to say.

To me, the article reads as a little winge from the club, that won't do anything to fix/keep relations between Brent and PCC.

Nov 16, 2008
United Kingdom
I feel that PCC should realise the benefits that a successful Argyle brings to the city as a whole. It's not just the revenue that comes in to pubs/eateries on match days. There are more intangible benefits. Plymouth gets a higher profile nationally thus making inward investment more likely. This isn't just wishful thinking, when Leeds United were in their heyday under Revie surveys taken at the time showed productivity up and investment in the city of Leeds up. Basically the pride the folk of Leeds had in their team became linked to a pride in the city itself.

I know we talk of the indifference of most Plymothians towards Argyle but I remember how the city was buzzing before the Watford FA Cup semi-final and the League Cup semi-final against Man City let alone our promotion seasons. We can get those times back, but we need the infrastructure in place (21st century grandstand/training facilities etc). As landlord PCC should have some long term vision as to the benefits a top flight Argyle would bring to Plymouth and have the balls to weather any short term political flak and build a stadium befitting the stature of the city.

Mar 14, 2009
IJN":11z36nrl said:

Maybe not sustainable, but no one knows this for certain. It might not have to be if they reach the premier league just like Holloway did with Blackpool in one season. THIS IS ALL YOU ARE LOOKING TO ACHIEVE AS PARCHUTE PAYMENTS WOULD KICK IN!

If you look at the championship in general, there are a lot of big clubs, but run very poorly which allows for well run clubs with a very good manager to take advantage. So you don't need swash buckling finances to get have a chance because every year we see a very competitive league that top to mid bottom is separate by a handful of wins.

You only need one good run, like Argyle were having (and a bit of sensible financial backing by a fairly wealthy board which Argyle didn't) to get into the final mix at the end of the season. Then of course you pray for lady luck to be smiling on your side.

Its like this league. Argyle are one of the bigger teams but we are no way the best team in this league because there are better managers and club boards at league two clubs who managed their resources much better than we do. Clubs like Dagenham, Morecombe & Accrington spring to mind who always find a way of competing when really they shouldn't be able to given their budgets and backing. Switch this idea around and think of Argyle as your Dagenhams, Morecambe, Accrington etc.... that is competing in the championship against the big boys and I don't think its impossible.

We have had years of defeatism as a football club with people saying its impossible. Its not. Its just the attitude of people who run the football club.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
Cobi Budge.":1q6d3eem said:
Bournemouth and especially Brentford have small stadiums, with small crowds, both are in the championship, and neither have sugar daddies behind them.

I think the bit about getting back in to the championship being a pipe dream without a new stand is utter poppycock, and really quite a desperate, defeatist thing to say.

To me, the article reads as a little winge from the club, that won't do anything to fix/keep relations between Brent and PCC.

I would call a Russian owner that bailed out Bournemouth after a £15M loss a sugar daddy:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27224806

As is Brentford owner Matthew Benham who has pumped £43M into the club so far.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...r-league-and-we-are-no-different-9336176.html

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Cobi Budge.":30qahawf said:

Bournemouth are co-owned by a very wealthy Russian businessman Maxim Demin, actually. Similarly to us in the Championship, Brentford have started well but they won't maintain this on a long-term basis unless they build a new stadium (which they are doing). They also have the geographical factor in their favour.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
Biggs":31kq3jd1 said:
Cobi Budge.":31kq3jd1 said:

Bournemouth are co-owned by a very wealthy Russian businessman Maxim Demin, actually. Similarly to us in the Championship, Brentford have started well but they won't maintain this on a long-term basis unless they build a new stadium (which they are doing). They also have the geographical factor in their favour.

..and an owner that has put in £43M

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Metal_Green_Mickey":2gi9aolk said:
IJN":2gi9aolk said:

Maybe not sustainable, but no one knows this for certain. It might not have to be if they reach the premier league just like Holloway did with Blackpool in one season. THIS IS ALL YOU ARE LOOKING TO ACHIEVE AS PARCHUTE PAYMENTS WOULD KICK IN!

If you look at the championship in general, there are a lot of big clubs, but run very poorly which allows for well run clubs with a very good manager to take advantage. So you don't need swash buckling finances to get have a chance because every year we see a very competitive league that top to mid bottom is separate by a handful of wins.

You only need one good run, like Argyle were having (and a bit of sensible financial backing by a fairly wealthy board which Argyle didn't) to get into the final mix at the end of the season. Then of course you pray for lady luck to be smiling on your side.

Its like this league. Argyle are one of the bigger teams but we are no way the best team in this league because there are better managers and club boards at league two clubs who managed their resources much better than we do. Clubs like Dagenham, Morecombe & Accrington spring to mind who always find a way of competing when really they shouldn't be able to given their budgets and backing. Switch this idea around and think of Argyle as your Dagenhams, Morecambe, Accrington etc.... that is competing in the championship against the big boys and I don't think its impossible.

We have had years of defeatism as a football club with people saying its impossible. Its not. Its just the attitude of people who run the football club.

You have to take my word for this, but I have spoken to an awful lot of people at other clubs in this league who are very happy to be a League 2 team. Not all, but a lot.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
Metal_Green_Mickey":xfyhkcxk said:
IJN":xfyhkcxk said:

Blackpool got to the Premier League on the back of the Oystons millions and now they are wanting (and getting it back it seems) from the parachute payments leaving the club in a perilous position.