Greatest Day Ever At Home Park | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Greatest Day Ever At Home Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Not sure what the greatest day i've had at Home Park is, one that is certainly up there that i didn't expect to see anyone mention (although Cobi has) is the 1-1 draw with Oxford that saw us avoid relegation. After the years that had gone previously and the start we made to that season to stay up against the odds and with games to spare was absolutely brilliant.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Cobi Budge.":1ajljur1 said:
Argy1e":1ajljur1 said:
Cobi Budge.":1ajljur1 said:
GreenArmy1984":1ajljur1 said:
Argyle Vs Shrewsbury 1-0 This season - My Directors Experience day With RBL

Living The Dream :scarf:

Thumbs Up :thumbs:

If I was offered a 'directors box experience' I'd turn it down and take my normal seat, sounds awful, but each to their own mate :lol:
Out of interest, what is it that sounds awful about it?

Having a prawn sandwich & sitting still in a little wooden seat with JB and the crew. Much rather have an Ivors pasty & stand singing in the Devonport :scarf:
Fair enough, i'm with you that i'd rather be singing/standing in the Devonport with pasty in hand, but i quite like the idea of being able to watch the game from the directors box too. Our board generally seem quite approachable and i don't think you'd get this opportunity at many (any?) other clubs which i also like.

P

Piran-Pilgrim

I have now so many though cobi best for me was 3-1 against Colchester, Warnock climbed into stand near me and wouldn't write let alone say some of what he was saying.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Argyle v Palace FA Cup in Tony Waiters era (74/75)

Argyle v Blackburn same season 28,000 crowd.

Argyle v QPR 2004.

May 22, 2006
Cobi, I did a corporate day about ten years ago - sat in the Chisholm Lounge. It's a lot better than you're imagining. The stadium tour with Peter Hall was great (is he still doing them?), and doing the guard of honour was even better.

Aug 24, 2011
How about December 28th ish 2007 ish Argyle 4-1 Reading I remember that being an awesome result

But my number one has to be 3-2 vs Wednesday. We had zubar sent off before half time but it didn't stop nooney grabbing a late winner after Wednesday made it 2-2 with a thumping volley from 25 yards!

And 2-0 vs city BWP double.

C

Cobi Budge.

Andrew Owen":3khzqinj said:
Cobi, I did a corporate day about ten years ago - sat in the Chisholm Lounge. It's a lot better than you're imagining. The stadium tour with Peter Hall was great (is he still doing them?), and doing the guard of honour was even better.

I've had hospitality and a ground tour at Newcastle, Arsenal, West Brom, Crystal Palace, Manchester United, Stoke City, Southampton, West Ham, West Brom, Burnley, Hull, QPR, Leicester, Derby, Watford, Wolves, Birmingham, Forest, Cardiff, Reading, Brighton, Leeds, Millwall, Blackpool, Bristol City, Sheffield United, Preston, Coventry, Yeovil, Luton, Exeter, Argyle & Pompey, plus Wembley, Hampden Park & the millennium.

I choose peeing against a wall at York & eating a dodgy pukka pie over any them ;) :lol:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Where to start? Here's a dozen that spring to mind, including my top 10 Argyle memories at Home Park.
1. Santos with 38,000 was memorable. It was not every day an Argyle fan got to see the World's best player grace Home Park and we will never again see anything like that number of people packed in the ground. The game itself though had the air of a friendly which it was of course.
2. The first Everton cup game with 35,000 was quite an occasion but there wasn't enough at stake to make it particularly dramatic.
3. The return of Malcolm Allison as Palace manager when a last minute penalty from Terry Venables was saved by Argyle's best ever keeper Jim Furnell to secure a 2-1 win.
4. Blackburn on a Tuesday night with 28,000 plus for a 3rd division old money top of the table clash was pretty special. I can still hear, "Oh Billy Billy, Billy Billy Billy Billy Rafferty" ringing around the ground now as we won to take their place at the top of the table. A few weeks later and 21,000 saw us clinch promotion with a Mariner goal against Colchester.
5. Another Tuesday night with 21,000(yeh right, and the other 7,000) packed in like sardines to see us clinch promotion with a 4 nil thumping of Bristol City with a memorable opener from Garry Nelson and a brace from Tommy Tynan.
6. A 6-0 thrashing of Torquay in an old division 3 game on Boxing Day when I was about 11. I can still remember being stood at the front of the Devonport End as Piper curled in a wonderful free kick. He also scored a second but Mike Bickle took the plaudits with a 4 goal show.
7. Another 4 goal performance I think from Bickle as we beat Cardiff 7-1 in a 2nd division game which until the 7-0 rout of Chesterfield many years later was our biggest ever home win.
8. A 2-1 home win in front of 23,000 for a 3rd division fixture when the Don Roger's inspired Swindon team paraded the League Cup around the ground a week after defeating the mighty Arsenal at Wembley.
9. A few weeks after England won the World Cup I saw the Football League eleven beat the Irish league eleven about 12 nil at Home Park with almost a full World Cup Final line up. I think Callaghan and Budgie Byrne were 2 that were squad players for the World Cup who played that night but it was a strong team England fielded comprising most of the team who had beaten West Germany in the final. I think Byrne scored 4 that night. Again though, a great experience but it had the air of a friendly.
10. The Cheltenham game when we won to claim the title under Luggy and were presented with the trophy at the final whistle. It capped a phenomenal record points breaking season but deep down I think I was still thinking, "but it's only the 4th division"
11. The 2 nil QPR home win to secure promotion to the Championship with Evans header and Friio's neat finish which capped a great tussle that had gone on between two very good sides all season.
12. The Colchester play off winning game when just 15,000 fans made as much noise as any larger crowd I have seen at Home Park when "Charlie" Williams magnificent header settled the tie.

I think my final 3 would be Bristol City, QPR and Colchester. The first 2 pip Blackburn for me as promotion was achieved on the day itself. I think the Colchester game might edge it for me purely because I never other than dreamt I would see an Argyle team run out at Wembley and other than the drama on the night itself there was the excitement of that to celebrate and look forward to at the final whistle.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I'm surprised *no-one has mentioned the 4-0 win against Bristol City that sealed our promotion under Dave Smith. What a brilliant night that was!

A couple of other games stand out, the Colchester one, the 6-3 against Leeds and the 6-4 v Preston - both surreal scorelines.

The 3-3 draw with WBA and the late 3-2 win over Man City always stay in the memory.

Overall, it's the win against QPR that gave us promotion AND the Championship title or the Bristol City game that would be my favourite.

*J has now just mentioned it.

Someone should start a greatest away day thread. :whistle:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
PL2 3DQ":2wf75zdp said:
I'm surprised *no-one has mentioned the 4-0 win against Bristol City that sealed our promotion under Dave Smith. What a brilliant night that was!

A couple of other games stand out, the Colchester one, the 6-3 against Leeds and the 6-4 v Preston - both surreal scorelines.

The 3-3 draw with WBA and the late 3-2 win over Man City always stay in the memory.

Overall, it's the win against QPR that gave us promotion AND the Championship title or the Bristol City game that would be my favourite.

*J has now just mentioned it.

Someone should start a greatest away day thread. :whistle:

On reflection all in all I think the Bristol game for the 90 minutes itself, 4 goals, packed in what is now block 4 at the Devonport End where I think 3 of the goals were scored, a night game under floodlights, the legend Tynan helping us win promotion against all the odds considering where we were when he re-signed on loan etc.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
1. Plymouth Argyle 1 Tottenham Hotspur 5 Jan 27 1962 Att. 40,040

Anderson