Greatest Day Ever At Home Park | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Greatest Day Ever At Home Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
memory man":299n2ql8 said:
Ottawa Green":299n2ql8 said:
1. Plymouth Argyle 1 Tottenham Hotspur 5 Jan 27 1962 Att. 40,040

Anderson

3 weeks earlier

2. Plymouth Argyle 3 West Ham United 0 Jan 5 1962 Att. 27,534

Carter, Williams, Maloy
Similar era.
1. 27 December 1960 Argyle 6 Charlton 4 with Wilf Carter getting 5 of Argyle's goals
2. That West Ham game
3. 22 August 1962 Argyle 7 Preston 1 (Johnny Williams, Wilf Carter 2, Mickey Lill 2 and Jim McAnearney 2)
4. The Colchester game in the play-offs. Wonderful atmosphere. I had met Dave Basset in the services at Exeter on my way down from Wiltshire. He was working for the media and asked me who he should look out for. I told him I reckoned that Mickey Evans could play at a higher level - then three minutes after the start ...........

Although the Spurs result above doesn't look good in terms of atmosphere and entertainment it was a truly great day, the last time more than 40,000 packed into Home Park. It should be remembered that there was very little TV coverage so the only way to see great teams was to buy a ticket.

It was the Argyle v. West Ham game for me also. As far as I am concerned it was the most complete performance ever by Argyle, and against a First Division team including International players. Bobby Moore and Martin Peters, were just two.

Oct 24, 2010
Bristol City and QPR for me, I thought the Chesterfield game was a bit freakish, every time we attacked we scored, it was unreal.

Mar 1, 2008
Graham Clark":2r32tb4m said:
I would agree with those who chose the Bristol City, Colchester United and QPR games as their 'greatest day. in all three games the hopes and expectation were high and on all three occasions the team performance, the atmosphere within the ground and the outcome rightly placed those games as a pinnacle in anyone's love and support for the club.

There was another game, for me, that for different reasons should also be placed at that same pinnacle. It was a League 2 game in January 2004. There was no reason to suppose that the game v. Chesterfield would be anything other than a routine home win as the team Paul Sturrock fashioned was beginning to make its mark as a promotion contender. What happened within 18 minutes of the kick off, as far as I am aware, has never been matched by any other Football League club in the history of League football. Within those first 18 minutes Argyle went 5-0 up. It was euphoric, it was fantasy as the 13,000 strong crowd (yes, it was that large for a League 2 game) collectively shook their heads in disbelief wondering if they would need a calculator by the end of the game.

In the end it was just 7-0 but if, for some, it does not quite rate as the greatest day ever at Home Park it will certainly rate as the greatest ever 18 minutes!

There was a period in that season where we just unstoppable. A 6-0 home win over Tranmere was followed by a 4-0 win over Bristol City in FL trophy in midweek. Then on the Saturday came another thrashing, this time Port Vale were the victims in a 5-1 defeat which also included an absolute screamer from David Friio. It wasn't to stop as on the Tuesday we found ourselves 3-0 up at Hillsborough. I remember when the third went in I just started laughing at how easy it all was! The game finished 3-1 bringing our tally to 18 goals in less than 2 weeks. Hopefully a reminder for some who wish to label Sturrock as a conservative manager.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Argyle Since'68":1ivk1w4j said:
Difficult to pick out one from 44 years.......Recent times clearly not happy but 2004 v QPR was a good game to win! But for obvious reasons my very first one at Home Park.....not the score, Argyle lost 2-1 to Torquay United, 20,810 for a Third Division game.......I was hooked, never looked back. Some fourteen months later .....revenge( :scarf: ) Argyle 6 Torquay United 0.....now that's another story!

A point of order Mr 68.

Either your username is wrong or you are worse at maths than I am.

1968 + 44 years = 2012. :scarf:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Quintrell_Green":1rrwyg1m said:
memory man":1rrwyg1m said:
Ottawa Green":1rrwyg1m said:
1. Plymouth Argyle 1 Tottenham Hotspur 5 Jan 27 1962 Att. 40,040

Anderson

3 weeks earlier

2. Plymouth Argyle 3 West Ham United 0 Jan 5 1962 Att. 27,534

Carter, Williams, Maloy
Similar era.
1. 27 December 1960 Argyle 6 Charlton 4 with Wilf Carter getting 5 of Argyle's goals
2. That West Ham game
3. 22 August 1962 Argyle 7 Preston 1 (Johnny Williams, Wilf Carter 2, Mickey Lill 2 and Jim McAnearney 2)
4. The Colchester game in the play-offs. Wonderful atmosphere. I had met Dave Basset in the services at Exeter on my way down from Wiltshire. He was working for the media and asked me who he should look out for. I told him I reckoned that Mickey Evans could play at a higher level - then three minutes after the start ...........

Although the Spurs result above doesn't look good in terms of atmosphere and entertainment it was a truly great day, the last time more than 40,000 packed into Home Park. It should be remembered that there was very little TV coverage so the only way to see great teams was to buy a ticket.

It was the Argyle v. West Ham game for me also. As far as I am concerned it was the most complete performance ever by Argyle, and against a First Division team including International players. Bobby Moore and Martin Peters, were just two.
I don't think Peters would have been in that West Ham team as he would have been too young and it was 4 years later before he made his England debut. Nevertheless a fine team that finished 8th in the top tier that season. How times have changed though. Ipswich and Burnley were top 2 with both Sheffield clubs in the top 6 as well and of the current big 5 of Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool it was Arsenal in 10th place who finished highest. Looking at that West Ham squad it comprised of 1 Welshman, 2 Scots and the remaining 20 odd all English.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
cheshiregreen":25826haa said:
memory man":25826haa said:
ealinggreen":25826haa said:
Most have been mentioned,just like to add League cup semi finals v Leicester and Man Ciity.The Man City game was brilliant on an awful pitch.Great goal from Steve Davey.Johny Hore demolished anything that came near him.
And due to the political situation, most of the people at the Man City game had either taken a day off work or thrown a sickie?

Or school if you don't mind :)

I was studying in London as a 17 year old so bunked off for the day and caught the first tube out to Hammersmith from Aldwych to hitch hike down to Plymouth thinking about 8 hours would be sufficient for the afternoon kick off. I only got as far as Salisbury Plain by 12.30 and knew I was never going to make it so turned around and made my way back to London arriving home about 10pm having missed the match. I did manage to fix up an early lift on a fruit and veg lorry from Covent Garden for the secong leg though at Maine Road.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The best game I ever witnessed away from home was the QPR game when we dicked them 3-0, they simply couldn't get near us that night.

Strange really as they were top of the 1st Division (Prem for you babies) and we were 3rd Division (League One).

The Burnley game at Turf Moor was the same, a 2-1 win when they were top as well, on a foggy Tuesday/Wednesday night in Lancashire.

It took us 9 hours to get there and about the same coming back. The M5 stopped at Bristol in those days and we had to bump start our 52 seater coach onto the M6 from a service station.

Apr 8, 2014
It has to be the QPR game, we had already sold out the away end at Hartlepool just in case which turned out to be one hell of a party I must say, but to beat them 2-0 at home in front of a full house to claim the league title was so very sweet especially for the 3000 who travelled to the Loft in November of that season, never have I been so embarrassed at an away game as they thumped us 3-0 to go top and put us in 2nd, that incredible run that season as has been mentioned the chesterfield and tranmere games, tranmere especially as my girlfriend at the time was a tranmere fan and in the away end, always remember the palace game around Christmas time when Chadwick scored in seconds, I had a score cast on Chadwick to score and us to win 1-0, then Capaldi scored in about the 95th minute to make it 2, he missed an open goal at Watford the weekend before!

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
IJN":1s9o338l said:
The best game I ever witnessed away from home was the QPR game when we dicked them 3-0, they simply couldn't get near us that night.

Strange really as they were top of the 1st Division (Prem for you babies) and we were 3rd Division (League One).

The Burnley game at Turf Moor was the same, a 2-1 win when they were top as well, on a foggy Tuesday/Wednesday night in Lancashire.

It took us 9 hours to get there and about the same coming back. The M5 stopped at Bristol in those days and we had to bump start our 52 seater coach onto the M6 from a service station.

Yes unquestionably the best performance I have ever seen from an Argyle team too. QPR marginally missed out on the title that season to all conquering Liverpool and having been promoted the previous season were from memory unbeaten at home for about 40 matches. They fielded a full strength line up with numerous England Internationals and U 23 internationals like Phil Parkes, Dave Thomas, Dave Clement and Stan Bowles?( I think he played). Alan Welsh had a blinder on the right wing and we completely outplayed them on the night.

Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Man City in the mid 80s

2 nil down at half time but stormed back to win 3-2.
I'd smuggled a fog horn that I'd brought in Halfords into the Lynhurst and every time I got it out we seemed to score. Vividly remember the Lyndhurst surging and bouncing everywhere when Stewart Evans got the winner. A packed Lynhurst terrace was an incredible place for me and my school mates :thumbs:

Argyle 6 Leeds 3.
A cracking game and as always with Leeds a packed away end and hostile atmosphere

Argyle 3-1 Colchester 1
Quite honestly the best and most hostile atmosphere I've ever experienced at a home game.
When Warnock was sent to the stands after their bald centre half was only booked for a blatant professional foul on Littlejohn I thought there'd be a riot if we'd lost.

The Bristol city 4-0 to clinch promotion. Could still hear the crowd singing an hour after the final whistle whilst walking home along Mutley plain.

Argyle 3 Exeter 0
We'll never play you again!!!!!!!

And virtually every home game from that Shilton season.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The packed Lyndhurst was something special, even when the big fences went in at the front and when it was split by another fence it was still the place to be.

I remember when Pompey came down one year and corner flags and motorcyle helmets were used for another purpose. :lol: Absolute mayhem!

May 22, 2006
Wouldn't argue with most already mentioned but need to include first 45 mins v Fulham in 1975. Mariner and Rafferty and all in full flow, 4-0 up at half time and Bobby Moore needing to be subbed to avoid further embarrassment. Stunning.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Yeah QPR away 3-0 was awesome, as near a perfect team performance as I've ever seen from any team. Ripped them apart!! :nworthy:

Re West Ham game in January 1962: Says on Wiki that Peters made his debut on Good Friday 1962.

Sep 6, 2006
Can't believe the Colchester promotion night April 1975 has got so little mention. Rafferty and Mariner carried off on the shoulders of the fans, most of the 25,000 of whom had got on the pitch at final whistle. Great night to cap a wonderful season.

We thought we were on our way to the Promised Land!. Like so much with Argyle the success didn't last long.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Balham_Green":2v4znw6i said:
Can't believe the Colchester promotion night April 1975 has got so little mention. Rafferty and Mariner carried off on the shoulders of the fans, most of the 25,000 of whom had got on the pitch at final whistle. Great night to cap a wonderful season.

We thought we were on our way to the Promised Land!. Like so much with Argyle the success didn't last long.
Wonder where they all are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.