Greatest Day Ever At Home Park | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Greatest Day Ever At Home Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cobi Budge.

Not the greatest but loved Argyle 3 Bristol City 2 on a Tuesday night in the championship, Clarke and BWP (overhead kick) put us two up, they pegged it back to 2 2, before Carl Fletcher squeezed in the winner during stoppage time. I believe Gary Johnson was sacked after that one.

Mar 9, 2011
Can’t go back as far as some of the moments being mentioned here :sad: and whilst it's probably not 'up there with the greats', I'd put 'seeing my first match at HP' as a memorable day for me (2004 beating Sunderland 2-1).

Prior to this, I was never ‘into’ football and only happened to be at HP that day because my eldest son asked if I could take him to watch Argyle play. I walked away from my first ever experience of a football match thinking … I bloody loved that! Haven’t stopped going since!

Enjoyed the Cardiff match where we came back from being 3-0 down to level the game to 3-3

My greatest day is yet to come though - when I finally get to see a promotion!

John Cooper

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
The Stu Evans volley to beat man city 3-2 is one of many.(are you listening Sheridan?) 0-2 down at HT, tactical substitutions at HT! Coming from behind to Win.

4-0 at HT, against blackburn, a Win guaranteed safety. FT 4-1

As others are posting away matches.
0-2 at orient, got to see Kevin Ayers in concert that night as well.

1-2 midweek at blackburn, darren rowtbotham winner, abother Win after being behind.

0-3 at wolves , began to believe. Supporters coach bricked, drafty journey home.

6-1 defeat at Maine road in Simod cup. Don't recall many fans there? Were any of posters there?

0-1 at pompey, super sub Kevin summerfield, first touch of match.....

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The Cardiff 3-3 was a cracker Sue, what a great night that was.

Bluebirds playing in a Brazil strip played like them, 3-0 up and then the green tide hit them in the 2nd half. I think we equalised in the 94th minute and still had time for Lee Hodges to hit a post with a 30 yard daisy cutter.

Great game and one I'll never forget.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
John Cooper":daf6e0zk said:
6-1 defeat at Maine road in Simod cup. Don't recall many fans there? Were any of posters there?

It was 6-2 Coops, crap crowd and I happened to be working in Manchester that day. :lol:

Mar 9, 2011
Almost lost my voice that day Ian, willing them on to get the equaliser and then jumping around like a lunatic when it came! :lol:

Moments like that are brilliant!

Jun 16, 2006
Nissie would have put it in like the two in 4-4 v Cardiff on NYD 86.

If following lead of adding away days Cardiff on Easter Friday in 86 outnumbering them at Ninian takes some beating.

Sue. My Admiration for your work for Argyle is even greater knowing you hadn't seen the highs of 02-04.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Sue Pollard":cbfdqpxz said:
Almost lost my voice that day Ian, willing them on to get the equaliser and then jumping around like a lunatic when it came! :lol:

Yep, I hurt my larynx that night.

Funny thing was, on the way home I listen to BBC radio and some Welsh bloke was on there saying that the referee didn't blow up soon enough because he was English. :lol:

Mar 9, 2011
IJN":2f6xo3iz said:
Sue Pollard":2f6xo3iz said:

Yep, I hurt my larynx that night.

Funny thing was, on the way home I listen to BBC radio and some Welsh bloke was on there saying that the referee didn't blow up soon enough because he was English. :lol:

:facepalm: :lol:

Jun 16, 2006
IJN":3sl3thun said:
John Cooper":3sl3thun said:

It was 6-2 Coops, crap crowd and I happened to be working in Manchester that day. :lol:

Did well. They'd put ten past Huddersfield on the previous Saturday.

That was their fledgling team that had five in England u21 at HP and went on to beat Utd 5-1.

Mar 9, 2011
Stuart_C":42w1ll7c said:
Nissie would have put it in like the two in 4-4 v Cardiff on NYD 86.

If following lead of adding away days Cardiff on Easter Friday in 86 outnumbering them at Ninian takes some beating.

Sue. My Admiration for your work for Argyle is even greater knowing you hadn't seen the highs of 02-04.

Sorry Stu, I've just seen your comment here ... I only wish I could have witnessed those seasons they sound great and I would have loved it.

I can't remember this happening, but my son told me a while back that he had asked me to go to the QPR match that saw Argyle gain promotion to the Championship. Apparently, I wouldn't let him go :oops: (I didn't know anything about football or the importance of the match :oops: ) ... oh how I wish I knew differently back then!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
jerryatricjanner":2b7ve4r5 said:
Quintrell_Green":2b7ve4r5 said:
memory man":2b7ve4r5 said:
Ottawa Green":2b7ve4r5 said:
1. Plymouth Argyle 1 Tottenham Hotspur 5 Jan 27 1962 Att. 40,040

Anderson

3 weeks earlier

2. Plymouth Argyle 3 West Ham United 0 Jan 5 1962 Att. 27,534

Carter, Williams, Maloy
Similar era.
1. 27 December 1960 Argyle 6 Charlton 4 with Wilf Carter getting 5 of Argyle's goals
2. That West Ham game
3. 22 August 1962 Argyle 7 Preston 1 (Johnny Williams, Wilf Carter 2, Mickey Lill 2 and Jim McAnearney 2)
4. The Colchester game in the play-offs. Wonderful atmosphere. I had met Dave Basset in the services at Exeter on my way down from Wiltshire. He was working for the media and asked me who he should look out for. I told him I reckoned that Mickey Evans could play at a higher level - then three minutes after the start ...........

Although the Spurs result above doesn't look good in terms of atmosphere and entertainment it was a truly great day, the last time more than 40,000 packed into Home Park. It should be remembered that there was very little TV coverage so the only way to see great teams was to buy a ticket.

It was the Argyle v. West Ham game for me also. As far as I am concerned it was the most complete performance ever by Argyle, and against a First Division team including International players. Bobby Moore and Martin Peters, were just two.
I don't think Peters would have been in that West Ham team as he would have been too young and it was 4 years later before he made his England debut. Nevertheless a fine team that finished 8th in the top tier that season. How times have changed though. Ipswich and Burnley were top 2 with both Sheffield clubs in the top 6 as well and of the current big 5 of Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool it was Arsenal in 10th place who finished highest. Looking at that West Ham squad it comprised of 1 Welshman, 2 Scots and the remaining 20 odd all English.
You are right about Peters. He was busy that day, playing for West Ham Reserves at Upton Park against Argyle's second string. He made his League debut just over three months later. Geoff Hurst played at right half at Home Park, his preferred position before Ron Greenwood turned him into a striker. Future Argyle boss Ken Brown played at centre half , Bobby Moore at left half and future Argyle physio/coach Malcolm Musgrove was their outside left. Liverpool won the Second Division that season.

John Cooper

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
IJN":1hxl96ke said:
John Cooper":1hxl96ke said:

Oh, how the memory fades.... bit like my hair.4 of us hired a car, we went to a chippy whilst driver parked car. Dave Smith gave us free tickets, then ran off with off with the drivers chips. Tickets were in grandstand in amongst city fans. Got worse on way back, ran out of petrol about a mile short of Michael woods services....

Did every match that season, home and away....

C

Ceebs

I'm not sure if this match has already been mentioned, but a home match againgst Rotherham United in September '93 stands out for me. I couldn't, in all honesty, describe it as a great day or even a great match, but it was a great 45 minutes. If memory serves an aging Imre Veradi put The Millers 2 up inside the first 20 minutes. However, Argyle hit back with 4 goals before half time. The atmosphere was brilliant and I clearly remember singing all the way through the half time interval from the sparsely populated Lyndhurst stand.

This is just one of the many highlights from an excellent season. It was a great time to be an impressionable 15 year old Argyle fan with new players arriving for big money, England's most capped player becoming the Argyle manager and I was at an age when heroes were created in the blink of an eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.