Home Park Development (PCC agenda 14th December 2pm) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park Development (PCC agenda 14th December 2pm)

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
GM Vauxhall":1f3eue2p said:
IJN":1f3eue2p said:
Did he ever say he would? I think JB’s strategy of spending what the club can afford is well enough documented.

No, he didn't. Which is why I disagree with the suggestion that he'd be likely to put his hand in his pocket to pay for a push on the Premier League.

Has someone said he would? The man himself certainly hasn't.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Lundan Cabbie":2cgydrvx said:
GM Vauxhall":2cgydrvx said:
IJN":2cgydrvx said:
Did he ever say he would? I think JB’s strategy of spending what the club can afford is well enough documented.

No, he didn't. Which is why I disagree with the suggestion that he'd be likely to put his hand in his pocket to pay for a push on the Premier League.

Correct. A return to the Championship has always been the limit of Mr Brent's stated ambitions.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
kernow19":1a3ou12o said:
Lundan Cabbie":1a3ou12o said:
GM Vauxhall":1a3ou12o said:
IJN":1a3ou12o said:

Correct. A return to the Championship has always been the limit of Mr Brent's stated ambitions.

Poor choice of words there. You make it sound as if that's as far as the club would want to go. When saying that the goal is to return to the Championship, they are NOT saying that this is the limits of their ambition.

Lundan Cabbie":2vpm5lsv said:
kernow19":2vpm5lsv said:

Poor choice of words there. You make it sound as if that's as far as the club would want to go. When saying that the goal is to return to the Championship, they are NOT saying that this is the limits of their ambition.

I think he's clued up enough to know that the Championship is probably as far as he can get us. If and when that happens, we will be a far more attractive proposition for a potential buyer than we are now, plus Mr Brent will still be sitting on the commercial activities. Everyone's a winner.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep makes sense to me. I bet he still attends games though.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
SwimWithTheTide":2a6j2iki said:
Our fan base is larger now than it was 15 years ago, but if we were to repeat the achievements of 2004 once the build is complete we'll fit 3,500 to 4,000 less fans in the stadium than before. We turned away plenty of fans from *that* QPR game, a game that I'd suggest is a major cause for the larger core support we have today.

I really like the plans for phase 2 (when I say plans, I mean the Hallett Grandstand, not the non-Argyle nonsense that's been shoehorned on the application and delayed the process). Phase 1 looks fantastic too, a major improvement that delivers the facilities the club desperately requires. To start with Phase 1 and get those facilities in place is smart. Not having any plan to finance or timescale to aim towards for Phase 2 suggests there's no actual will to get that done. It's just a pretty picture to try and make the rest of the plan a more attractive proposition.

A bit like James Brent adding his personal business ventures onto the Hallett family's Grandstand application, putting pressure on to accept A LOT of other units in order to actually see some progress on the old Mayflower. Some see it as manipulative, some see it as a clever logistical move. So far it seems to have just caused a stir among fans and delays with the bit that we're actually bothered about.

Funny, I must have missed the bit when JB sold out to the "Hallett family", I understood it to be a joint PAFC/Akkeron application. Oh well we live and learn. :twisted:

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Are the offices, gym, ice rink, hotel, restaurants and coffee shops joint with PAFC then? Must have missed that. Please enlighten JAF.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
SwimWithTheTide":1bs10xfp said:
Are the offices, gym, ice rink, hotel, restaurants and coffee shops joint with PAFC then? Must have missed that. Please enlighten JAF.

The view from your soapbox is obviously not that great, you should re-read my post, "joint application". :twisted:

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
No soapbox my devilish friend, just a simplistic breakdown.

What? Grandstand.
For who? PAFC
Paid for by? PAFC
Funded by? Hallett family loan.

What? Everything else.
For who? Akkeron/James Brent.
Not sure how he intends to fund it mind.

Just my point that the joint application decision seems to have delayed things. The Grandstand refurb is a fairly straightforward application isn't it and unlikely to be rejected? It's based on an existing structure.

The HHP and Western Gateway stuff is irrelevant but has been added to the application, why? As I said, some say it was a logistical move and money saver. Others may see it as a sly way to put pressure on accepting the lot because of the Grandstand lure. I'm not saying it's necessarily my view, but I can see why it can be read as such.

If I want to put an extension on my house and build a conservatory, I'm not going to knock on the door of the landlord of the local pub and ask him if I can add my conservatory plans onto his plans to demolish and build flats am I?

Aug 5, 2015
I don’t think our fan base is any larger. I remember going to an old div 3 game not so long ago for a midweek game with 28000 other folk. It’s just that our fan base is different. Some people prefer football on their XBox, some prefer to go to Manchester and some still support the mighty greens. But the days when 28000 people would turn out for an Argyle game are long since past I’m afraid.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
I meant in the last 20 years or so Kentish. The Premier League era, as it was clearly a significant shift in the attitude of the game - the days of a working class game that saw 30,000 on the terraces at HP are long gone, but that applies to almost every ground in the country, except maybe our forward thinking opponents from yesterday.

I'm not in a position to pull out the stats off GoS yet, but I think if you compare like for like from the previous times we were in the 4th tier to now, there's an uplift in core support. Particularly with the 6,500 that regularly saw us get turned over at the arse end of League Two.

I asked on a recent thread about an LDV trophy match against Exeter which had about 1,500 turn up to compare with the current situation of the chekafraud when we had 3,000 odd (?). In the same competition and fixture over the last 20 odd years we've had attendances from 1,500 to 11,000 to 3,000 (during a boycott).

Oct 24, 2010
SwimWithTheTide":9lxr6srn said:
No soapbox my devilish friend, just a simplistic breakdown.

What? Grandstand.
For who? PAFC
Paid for by? PAFC
Funded by? Hallett family loan.

What? Everything else.
For who? Akkeron/James Brent.
Not sure how he intends to fund it mind.

Just my point that the joint application decision seems to have delayed things. The Grandstand refurb is a fairly straightforward application isn't it and unlikely to be rejected? It's based on an existing structure.

The HHP and Western Gateway stuff is irrelevant but has been added to the application, why? As I said, some say it was a logistical move and money saver. Others may see it as a sly way to put pressure on accepting the lot because of the Grandstand lure. I'm not saying it's necessarily my view, but I can see why it can be read as such.

If I want to put an extension on my house and build a conservatory, I'm not going to knock on the door of the landlord of the local pub and ask him if I can add my conservatory plans onto his plans to demolish and build flats am I?
Who is paying for the planning application? James Brent

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Kentishgreen":24n88i3z said:
I don’t think our fan base is any larger. I remember going to an old div 3 game not so long ago for a midweek game with 28000 other folk. It’s just that our fan base is different. Some people prefer football on their XBox, some prefer to go to Manchester and some still support the mighty greens. But the days when 28000 people would turn out for an Argyle game are long since past I’m afraid.
We have had sell-outs a few times in recent years, which suggests that crowds of over 20,000 could have been achieved with the capacity to hold them. In my view the crowds could have reached 30,000 for games like Liverpool and the cup quarter final, to say nothing of some of our Championship fixtures. Why people choose to ignore this sort of thing I do not know.