Home Park Development (PCC agenda 14th December 2pm) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park Development (PCC agenda 14th December 2pm)

Oct 24, 2010
In the last 15 - 20 years football has cleaned up it's act and attendances have improved accordingly. Back in the bad old days of the 70's, 80's and 90's when football was blighted by mob violence the attendances were understandably low, football matches weren't for the faint hearted back then.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
esmer":3qidovzu said:
SwimWithTheTide":3qidovzu said:
No soapbox my devilish friend, just a simplistic breakdown.

What? Grandstand.
For who? PAFC
Paid for by? PAFC
Funded by? Hallett family loan.

What? Everything else.
For who? Akkeron/James Brent.
Not sure how he intends to fund it mind.

Just my point that the joint application decision seems to have delayed things. The Grandstand refurb is a fairly straightforward application isn't it and unlikely to be rejected? It's based on an existing structure.

The HHP and Western Gateway stuff is irrelevant but has been added to the application, why? As I said, some say it was a logistical move and money saver. Others may see it as a sly way to put pressure on accepting the lot because of the Grandstand lure. I'm not saying it's necessarily my view, but I can see why it can be read as such.

If I want to put an extension on my house and build a conservatory, I'm not going to knock on the door of the landlord of the local pub and ask him if I can add my conservatory plans onto his plans to demolish and build flats am I?
Who is paying for the planning application? James Brent

I wouldn’t bother Rich, Sam has been working away at the back of his fag packet again.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
SwimWithTheTide":3sjhp1hf said:
No soapbox my devilish friend, just a simplistic breakdown.

What? Grandstand.
For who? PAFC
Paid for by? PAFC
Funded by? Hallett family loan.

What? Everything else.
For who? Akkeron/James Brent.
Not sure how he intends to fund it mind.

Just my point that the joint application decision seems to have delayed things. The Grandstand refurb is a fairly straightforward application isn't it and unlikely to be rejected? It's based on an existing structure.

The HHP and Western Gateway stuff is irrelevant but has been added to the application, why? As I said, some say it was a logistical move and money saver. Others may see it as a sly way to put pressure on accepting the lot because of the Grandstand lure. I'm not saying it's necessarily my view, but I can see why it can be read as such.

If I want to put an extension on my house and build a conservatory, I'm not going to knock on the door of the landlord of the local pub and ask him if I can add my conservatory plans onto his plans to demolish and build flats am I?

You seem to be under the impression that the refurb is no more than a spruce up, new seats to the front and a few bars below decks.

The purpose of the refurb is actually to attract income to the club, particularly on days when there is no football and Mr Brent is very clear that conferencing is the direction that he'd like to go in a similar way of the Exeter Chiefs. If you cannot see that a hotel on site would make conferencing facilities ten times more attractive to possible clients then you are very short sighted. The hotel is very important to the club.

Hotels cost money to build though so by bringing in other partners to the development the cost can be spread. It happens all the time.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":6uuz6clp said:
You seem to be under the impression that the refurb is no more than a spruce up, new seats to the front and a few bars below decks.

The purpose of the refurb is actually to attract income to the club, particularly on days when there is no football and Mr Brent is very clear that conferencing is the direction that he'd like to go in a similar way of the Exeter Chiefs. If you cannot see that a hotel on site would make conferencing facilities ten times more attractive to possible clients then you are very short sighted. The hotel is very important to the club.

Hotels cost money to build though so by bringing in other partners to the development the cost can be spread. It happens all the time.

Correct, but my issue is when it will include sites in direct competition to income to the club, such as food outlets which could be club run for more non-matchday income instead of rented out.

Aug 5, 2015
Just how many times have we had a massive fixture at home? Does that justify spending money we can’t afford on a 30000 capacity stadium which is going to be half empty for years on end? I really wish it would happen but I don’t think it will any time soon

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
PlymOdi":1w7vmbp8 said:
Lundan Cabbie":1w7vmbp8 said:

Correct, but my issue is when it will include sites in direct competition to income to the club, such as food outlets which could be club run for more non-matchday income instead of rented out.

So what type of businesses would you invite in their place?

Argyle have no fast food retailing/restaurant experience to guarantee that those outlets be a success if they ran them themselves. Go into any new shopping mall and you will find all the food outlets placed together. Why? Because by giving customers choice it actually increases profits for everyone.

C

CADMAN

Cabbie, this is a park we are talking about not a shopping mall.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It's a vets and kennels to be pedantic. Not sacred soil, already built on and unable to be used by any of us.

C

CADMAN

Animals in the park are ok with me. Obviously some people would prefer 50 foot concrete blocks.

C

CADMAN

Are you saying the vets and kennels aren't in the park? I am looking out of my window now, and can assure you they are .

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I must admit Hubble, if I live where you live, I wouldn't be happy.

The objectors that have suddenly found an interest in parking make me smile though. Some haven't even got the wit to change the wording from their 'friends' objection. :funny:

C

CADMAN

To be honest I am not that unhappy IJN. I think the grandstand referb is ok. Nothing really special in getting a low interest loan, over a long period, to improve an asset (grandstand). It's the other stuff that grips me. I just think our chairman is making a bit of a killing, when you take into account the deal with the pavilions,vets and higher home park, ect . I know people will say business is business and all that, but some things are just more important than that.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Hubble":1v4j2obm said:
Cabbie, this is a park we are talking about not a shopping mall.

The question lobbied was why Argyle can't run these outlets. They'd still be in the park. A park that in my opinion lacks the ability to attract people unless they are walking their dogs.