Is Derek the right manager? | Page 18 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is Derek the right manager?

I wonder if much of the disgruntlement is less to do with tactics and playing style, and more to do with our under-estimation of the quality gap between leagues 1 and 2, where I for one assumed a mid table performance wouldn't be hard to achieve. The quality of Oxford on Saturday for example makes my point, and they're barely in the top third, after a poor run.

I still have confidence in DA because, despite the set-backs, he is a battler who maintains high team morale if all we hear is true. Things can change fast in football, as Shrewsbury are proving. We are not adrift in the league, we have two thirds of the season left, so calls for DA to go are very premature.

Apr 26, 2016
Its hard to watch your side out played week in week out and be satisfied with the odd battling result.
Portsmouth signed Brett Pitman from Ipswich valued at 1.1m estimated wages 18k a week (average at Ipswich) he has
scored 11 league goals, 1 less than the whole Argyle team. Portsmouth are 10th !! sort of puts it all in perspective
After watching Argyle torn apart at by Bristol City second team earlier in the season and walking around their ground
and set-up it gives you a glimmer of a dream just be nice to see it in my life time I aint getting any younger.
How can we attract a nice Saudi Prince to pump 100 million into Plymouth for a hobby.

Feb 8, 2005
Bolshevik1966":7agbg5vq said:
Its hard to watch your side out played week in week out and be satisfied with the odd battling result.
Portsmouth signed Brett Pitman from Ipswich valued at 1.1m estimated wages 18k a week (average at Ipswich) he has
scored 11 league goals, 1 less than the whole Argyle team. Portsmouth are 10th !! sort of puts it all in perspective
After watching Argyle torn apart at by Bristol City second team earlier in the season and walking around their ground
and set-up it gives you a glimmer of a dream just be nice to see it in my life time I aint getting any younger.
How can we attract a nice Saudi Prince to pump 100 million into Plymouth for a hobby.

We aren't going to get ANYONE pumping 100 million into the Club for a hobby.

We have just shown anyone thinking about it that we can go bust very easily, and they could end up with absolutely NOTHING.

It's happened once and it could happen again, so don't be thinking of any knight in shining armour coming to our rescue.

FFS we are a backwater club, trying to do our best to get somewhere where we think we ought to be. History tells us that we should be in the top half of this league and, when we are firing on all cylinders, we could get into the next league up.

Economics suggest that we are where we should be at this moment in time.

Survival will give us a firmer footing, but the Club has so much other stuff to do to even think of getting further up the ladder at the moment.

Time is what we have, time for the Club to improve in all areas, time for the infrastructure to be improved, time for the staffing levels to increase, and yes, time for the football team to improve.

It isn't going to happen overnight.

Everyone wants instant success. Stability is what we need and we don't get that by sacking our manager every time the going gets tough. That's why he had a four year contract. He's going nowhere.

Get behind the Club instead of moaning all the time. We are all in this together.

The Doctor

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I posted this quote from the BBC website in the Tony Pulis thread on the Old Boys board:

Simon Stone from BBC Sport writes:

'The Welshman is a victim of his own football philosophy. He is a results man. The pretty stuff is not his style; Pulis does functional. Supporters don't find it easy on the eye and even his players tire of it. It means when results go wrong, there is no bank of goodwill to buy him time.'

If you replace Welshman with Scotsman and Pulis with Adams you pretty much get how I see things although obviously I have no idea whether the part about players tiring of his style of football is true (I have previously wondered though whether some Argyle players aren't just a bit bored though).

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
they must be bored out of theirs skulls doctor.they,like us,must now it is a freak if we win.anybody knows that playing one up front rarely is successful.

N

NorfolkGreen

jimsing":dsbu0fik said:
Monster Green":dsbu0fik said:
It's just boring. The fact that yet another 20 page thread has been made suggests supporters are disgruntled. I fear we are down now. If this was the prem, most would have expected him to be gone by now. Same principle. I'm in the out brigade fwiw

The facts are that the home and away matches have been so well supported suggest that the fanbase are still supporting the team, and therefore the manager as well.

Disgruntled they may be, but they are with the team so far.

We are not down, not even close to being down. We are not even half way through the season.

FFS Man up you guys.

I think the fans support the club and team, despite the results and football on offer shows what a phenomenal group Argyle fans are. Iā€™m not sure what the results were for the various polls about the manager, but think most wanted him to move on, whether that happens or not is not for us to decide, hopefully things improve and we can survive.

Apr 5, 2008
Emeraldinho":3nj58jxb said:
GreenArmy1984":3nj58jxb said:
Its Matchday

Massive Game tonight at Home Park

Looking forward to it & 3 points

COYGs
I thought you said you were buggering off this site til after Christmas?

Shouldnā€™t you leave this site if someone being positive is too much for you to handle

..Getting rid of Da isnā€™t the answer,the team are probably where they should be,when you compare our standard of players to most other teams in this league.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
Who assembled them Moles?

The Doctor":19bynzj0 said:
I posted this quote from the BBC website in the Tony Pulis thread on the Old Boys board:

Simon Stone from BBC Sport writes:

'The Welshman is a victim of his own football philosophy. He is a results man. The pretty stuff is not his style; Pulis does functional. Supporters don't find it easy on the eye and even his players tire of it. It means when results go wrong, there is no bank of goodwill to buy him time.'

If you replace Welshman with Scotsman and Pulis with Adams you pretty much get how I see things although obviously I have no idea whether the part about players tiring of his style of football is true (I have previously wondered though whether some Argyle players aren't just a bit bored though).
I wonder if losing dave kemp as his right hand man in the summer had an effect on pulis and wba.
I read somewhere that they worked very closely together with kemp often telling/advising him whenever
he thought he was wrong. They were just like best buddies working together apparently.
A bit like the clough/taylor partnership perhaps. Neither of them were as succcessful working alone from memory.
I wonder if DA is the same with wottsie and CB? I cant believe wottsie or pulis to that matter would be
happy with some of our indiscipline we show at times in our defending.
Saturday for example. 10 men and 2 banks of 4 so absolutely imperative we keep a good shape with it.
So first half toums as our main ballwinner in CM decides he is going to chase backpasses to their
keeper upfield. What the **** you doing up there you stupid boy i thought. Knackering himself out too.
As for DA being the right manager. Short term at the moment yes. Long term at the moment nope.
If he keeps us up then fair enough he gets another shot at it next season. Can he improve though?
Been very disappointed with his failing counter attacking style at home this season. I was hoping it
would benefit us long term against higher quality opponents. But the players he brought in are struggling no doubt.
DA i would still rate as a "good" manager at this moment in time though. However, argyle to be successful at this
level usually need a "very good" manager. Even more so now as the quality of this league appears to be much higher
than in the past on what i have witnessed so far this season.
He cant keep on losing home games like this forever. He needs to turn it around here as well as away so the
majority of us fans can then join in and help some more with these mini battles against relegation.
Otherwise with the window fast approaching a decision may well have to be made about his future.
Still half a dozen or so games away yet though so hopefully he can get us moving forward again and win some more
games starting with tonight...Please.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
Mark Pedlar":9fkj49tj said:

I think the ultimate logic here is that with our current income structure we are not big enough to be guaranteed a league 1 team.

Derek has recruited the best he can and they are at ultimate performance although a little unlucky. Derek is getting more than others would and has a better chance of keeping us up.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing; just trying to expand for Mr Moles; although I may have got it wrong.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Mark Pedlar":a23r6fcn said:
As I keep saying, I think Adams is hamstrung by a lack of strikers. Who knows whether this is by choice (he only starts with one) or recruitment/budget difficulties. But he doesn't have many options.