James Brent??? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

James Brent???

Aug 10, 2006
any chance the (owner) may come out with some sort of statement regarding the direction the club will take or is that too much to expect.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
loyal1970":il0qh81a said:
any chance the (owner) may come out with some sort of statement regarding the direction the club will take or is that too much to expect.

May want to talk to Sheridan first. Anyone with a grasp of reality won't be expecting that kind of statement until next week.

C

Connor Clarke

Mark Pedlar":xuqksqg8 said:
loyal1970":xuqksqg8 said:

May want to talk to Sheridan first. Anyone with a grasp of reality won't be expecting that kind of statement until next week.
And by next week we mean mid-June because this is Argyle we're talking about

Jun 26, 2006
What we need is a cunning plan .
Seriously though I do believe that there should be a five year plan that sets out what we as a club are looking to acheive . If you don't have targets you probably won't move forward .
That plan might say 1) Automatic promotion 2015-2016. 2) 25% of the squad developed from our youth team 3) Safe mid table finish in League one 2016-2017 and a decent cup run 4) Play offs in league one 2017-2018 with an outside chance of promotion back to the championship and the grandstand completion . 5) Grow the average attendance figure to in excess of 10000.
There has to be a target and it has to be a tough target . The target this year was to make the play offs and we did although if i am honest that isn't much of a target in this league and we nearly blew that too .
Can I also say that James Brent employs people ( Starnes for example ) to deal with the footballing side as his own knowlege and experience do not necessarily qualify him to run the footballing side of the business .

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
If it is correct that the managers wage is £50,000 p.a., I wouldn't be getting too excited over the calibre of any replacement for Sheridan should he choose to walk away.

If he goes we will likely have a new manager with a mediocre track record at best ( or no managerial experience, ) with an awful lot of players to recruit whilst probably not knowing of the existing contracted players strengths and weaknesses. Also not knowing whats been going on here over the last n years.

So should JS stay or should he go, its a loose / loose situation. Probably. And I wish people would stop dripping on about Warnock. Its not happening, never was likely to.

I dont blame JB. He provided a reasonable budget at a time when once again our finances were precarious.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
ghost of hughie reed":hkrsgl1p said:
If it is correct that the managers wage is £50,000 p.a.

It obviously isn't correct, so best to forget all the rest eh?

Dec 3, 2005
How much money is being lost in Season Tickets because people are fed up with having JS as the manager?

How many tickets have we sold, compared to last season, anyone know?

Going by the feeling about JS, if he went there would be a fresh feel to the start of next season, new hope, anticipation of some football, surely that would go some way to covering the cost of getting rid of him.

What normal person wants to be somewhere, where the fans dislike him, he must feel the dislike towards him.

Yes we got to the play-offs in a poor league, I never once heard a chant, calling out his name, no - there's only one John Sheridan - or - give us a wave John, nothing I can remember. Not many managers who take their team to the play-offs go without that recognition from the supporters.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
djg145":2w0ga5j6 said:
How much money is being lost in Season Tickets because people are fed up with having JS as the manager?

Going by the feeling about JS, if he went there would be a fresh feel to the start of next season, new hope, anticipation of some football, surely that would go some way to covering the cost of getting rid of him.

What normal person wants to be somewhere, where the fans dislike him, he must feel the dislike towards him.

Yes we got to the play-offs in a poor league, I never once heard a chant, calling out his name, no - there's only one John Sheridan - or - give us a wave John, nothing I can remember. Not many managers who take their team to the play-offs go without that recognition from the supporters.

To give us a wave he'd have to leave the dugout wouldn't he??

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
IJN":2x0hepcy said:
ghost of hughie reed":2x0hepcy said:
If it is correct that the managers wage is £50,000 p.a.

It obviously isn't correct, so best to forget all the rest eh?

It's none of my business but I would be fascinated to know what he does get paid by Argyle as I really have no idea what the correct figure might be myself. £50k is a very good salary in normal life, but I would imagine that with football being football, the pressure associated with being manager and the very public nature of the job he'd be on quite a bit more than this.

Apr 13, 2013
Cotswolds
Pogleswoody":3iwzjpei said:
djg145":3iwzjpei said:

To give us a wave he'd have to leave the dugout wouldn't he??

And have surgery to remove his hands from pockets or armpits

Dec 2, 2010
Unless I've missed it Brent, Starnes and the other Directors (remember them?) have not made one public utterance since going out of the play offs with a whimper.

Presumably, if we'd won they'd have been all over the press, like the Wycombe owners.

Disappointment aside, one assumes this is because of Sheridan musing on his own future. Personally, I wouldn't read too much into the retained list. That was clearly sorted before the play-offs and the numbers going, and quality of most (Banton aside) are pretty modest.

Most people are assuming Brent isn't going to sack him. I expect though he is waiting to see if he resigns, or suggest they come to a deal to leave by mutual agreement. If Sheridan suggest such a thing the Board have no option but to act and sort......as his heart is clearly not in it. We don't want any Farage turn arounds!

If JS is still mulling things over, they should be demanding a decision within a tight deadline.

If he stays, we should hear how JS and the Board are going to deliver success next season and get 5,000 plus floating fans back into HP on a regular basis.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
I'd imagine, as the game finished late Thursday night that JB and the other directors wouldn't get a chance to formally meet until Friday (afternoon). With so much at stake it is completely reasonable for JB to take the weekend before calling in JS to either A) accept JSs resignation, B) fire JS, C) listen to JS outline his strategy for next season.
the fly in the ointment is the issuing of the retained/released lists which whilst obviously decided beforehand should not have been issued without a formal statement from the club/manager.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
There is of course, the possibility that the players not offered extensions or new contracts all said they wanted to leave - Allen's reaction kind of goes against that theory but maybe Banton, Norburn and Blizzard had already made up their minds to leave and told the club that.