James Brent??? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

James Brent???

Sep 8, 2013
I'm most certainly not a Sheridan fan, but do believe he gave it a go this season. Unfortunately it backfired and everything went awry. He should have learnt a lot from the lessons of this season and have formulated a much clearer picture of what is really wanted. Whether he can recruit the players needed to make a better fist of it next season remains to be seen...if, of course, he remains. But he should know what is required...and perhaps more than a new manager without the background. I'd love to believe that a new man could come in and wave a magic wand, but am not convinced such a man would materialise.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Womble":1k9wlz4u said:
We'll find out alot about the current ownership at HP over the summer. While i think Shez has done well i dont see us making any significant improvements next year. The fan base needs something to get excited about again.

The dire football, bottling the most important team selection he has made down here and the fact he has not committed to the area are all factors against. Hopefully he will go now and be remembered as the man who saved us from non league and sowed the seeds of recovery before leaving at the right time.

Good post

P

Positively Green

greenwelly":yyi9pfhd said:
I'm most certainly not a Sheridan fan, but do believe he gave it a go this season. Unfortunately it backfired and everything went awry. He should have learnt a lot from the lessons of this season and have formulated a much clearer picture of what is really wanted. Whether he can recruit the players needed to make a better fist of it next season remains to be seen...if, of course, he remains. But he should know what is required...and perhaps more than a new manager without the background. I'd love to believe that a new man could come in and wave a magic wand, but am not convinced such a man would materialise.

I agree :thumbup:

J

James_Dennis

greenwelly":3kscgecr said:

It's a good point to be fair. The question is, has he learned from his mistakes and even if he has, can he/does he know how to turn it round? That damning statistic - failure to win from a losing position since March 2013 - indicates something intrinsic to his management style. Will he suddenly turn into a manager that extracts everything possible from his players? Will his side be well organised both defending and attacking set pieces? I just don't get the sense that he can change that much.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
James_Dennis":1zaehx5x said:
greenwelly":1zaehx5x said:

It's a good point to be fair. The question is, has he learned from his mistakes and even if he has, can he/does he know how to turn it round? That damning statistic - failure to win from a losing position since March 2013 - indicates something intrinsic to his management style. Will he suddenly turn into a manager that extracts everything possible from his players? Will his side be well organised both defending and attacking set pieces? I just don't get the sense that he can change that much.

That's the thing, I don't think the bloke is capable of change. The fact that he pretty much word for word matched the warnings Chesterfield fans gave us when he first took charge shows that he didn't learn one thing from the decisions that got him sacked from his last job and his time here has given him 2 years to reflect on his failings to which he doesn't seem to have learnt from one at all, he's the same stubborn, tactically inept, de-motivator that took the job on 2 years ago.

If there was ever an opportunity to fall on his sword with some dignity left in tact now is the time, he could very well walk into another job having taken a team from relegation obscurity to playoff qualification in 2 years which on paper will sound very nice for any northern employers he wishes to apply to. The only way forwards here is by seeing out his contract or having it terminated early, he has lost fans and dressing room alike by the looks of it and after defeat number 1 of next season that will be that, he won't be able to win anybody back.

Of course there is every possibility that the replacement could be just as bad (with our track record they probably will be). The thing is this club needs someone to spark some life into it again, the fact that people are talking about sackings and poor performances despite us reaching the playoffs for the first time in 10 years speaks volumes for the current mood surrounding this football club, we should be celebrating turning the ship around and looking forward to going one step forward next year but instead our fans are looking like the only saving grace for this club after two p*ss poor playoff performances. We are in desperate need of new ideas and a new way forward and the one thing we have learnt over the last 2 years is that new ideas and change are beyond John Sheridan's skill-set.

The thought of him continuing for another year fills me with dread, to the point where I am tempted to look into the club's ST refund policy, which is a huge shame because we should be looking forward to next season and giving promotion another go :furious:

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
great post ollie which many of us endorse.i feel like we have been relegated after that pathetic 2nd leg against wycombe. :furious:

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Ollieargyle9":3sq8cak0 said:
James_Dennis":3sq8cak0 said:
greenwelly":3sq8cak0 said:

That's the thing, I don't think the bloke is capable of change. The fact that he pretty much word for word matched the warnings Chesterfield fans gave us when he first took charge shows that he didn't learn one thing from the decisions that got him sacked from his last job and his time here has given him 2 years to reflect on his failings to which he doesn't seem to have learnt from one at all, he's the same stubborn, tactically inept, de-motivator that took the job on 2 years ago.

If there was ever an opportunity to fall on his sword with some dignity left in tact now is the time, he could very well walk into another job having taken a team from relegation obscurity to playoff qualification in 2 years which on paper will sound very nice for any northern employers he wishes to apply to. The only way forwards here is by seeing out his contract or having it terminated early, he has lost fans and dressing room alike by the looks of it and after defeat number 1 of next season that will be that, he won't be able to win anybody back.

Of course there is every possibility that the replacement could be just as bad (with our track record they probably will be). The thing is this club needs someone to spark some life into it again, the fact that people are talking about sackings and poor performances despite us reaching the playoffs for the first time in 10 years speaks volumes for the current mood surrounding this football club, we should be celebrating turning the ship around and looking forward to going one step forward next year but instead our fans are looking like the only saving grace for this club after two p*ss poor playoff performances. We are in desperate need of new ideas and a new way forward and the one thing we have learnt over the last 2 years is that new ideas and change are beyond John Sheridan's skill-set.

The thought of him continuing for another year fills me with dread, to the point where I am tempted to look into the club's ST refund policy, which is a huge shame because we should be looking forward to next season and giving promotion another go :furious:

Good post :clap:

It's such an odd feeling right now. We've been through so much, but the playoffs were such a dire disappointment.

I think all of us can take defeat. We've shown that in abundance over the past 5 years, but it's the manner of the defeats in two PLAYOFF games which is quite astounding, and in some ways unforgiveable.

We need something to reignite the flame. The fans deserve it. The two playoff games demonstrated that this support base is something a little special, and we deserve someone who recognises that and embraces that.

For what it's worth, JS has done fine...above average if i'm honest, but it's time for change. It's time for that spark.

S

satfan

greenwelly":a3sc2xqt said:

We thought he learnt from the dramatic falling away of the 2013/14 season. The same thing would have happened again our run in was terrible only Luton,s unexpected collapse and Exeter,s shortcomings saved us from finishing 9th again.

Sep 8, 2013
Yes, I do accept that there is frustration and demoralisation amongst the fan base. If he goes I will in no way be disappointed. It's just that Sheridan, having been in situ this season SHOULD be only too aware of what needs to be put right next season. But I also concede that for so many fans a new man, a fresh start, someone who can engage with the club more successfully ois the dream.Let's hope and pray that such a man can be found who can give us this lift but also quickly understand why we have fallen short this season.

Apr 5, 2008
i like to see mark warburton at argyle.he has left brentford now.Did a great job there .

Oct 5, 2013
Daddy Kool":3frfno8v said:
So James you said you know very little about football, well you do now!
Can you now come forward and tell us this is the manager to take us forward?
You have the best fans in the land, we now need someone to take us forward.
Totally appreciate what you have done for the club ,but now is the time to make another big decision.
How can you expect us the fans to carry on with no passion from a manager and no team motivation,hope you have the courage and love for our club to do the right thing quickly !

Unfortunately, it could be that the Chairman sees this season as a huge success financially, particularly with the income from the playoffs, so his vision of things may be entirely different from that of the supporters.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
philevs":qk133cs9 said:
Unfortunately, it could be that the Chairman sees this season as a huge success financially, particularly with the income from the playoffs, so his vision of things may be entirely different from that of the supporters.

I understood that most of the pot for the two play-off matches went, not to the clubs involved, but the F.A. and that because of this, we would be lucky if we broke even?

Oct 5, 2013
kernow19":2lil7i95 said:
philevs":2lil7i95 said:

I understood that most of the pot for the two play-off matches went, not to the clubs involved, but the F.A. and that because of this, we would be lucky if we broke even?

Less of a reason to retain JS then...

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
kernow19":286d0101 said:
philevs":286d0101 said:

We will recieve 12.5% of the pot once all expenses have been taken out not including the tv money which goes to the FA. Not a lot I grant you but it's still a bit of unbudgeted income and as they say, every little helps.