Mike Bickle R.I.P | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mike Bickle R.I.P

Oct 5, 2013
Just loved this piece on the Argyle website, a good bit of wordcraft:
“Famously, Bickle was a milkman by trade, also turning out for the Co-op’s works team in midweek fixtures. Even after switching the gold top for a green and white top, he continued to deliver.”

Oct 5, 2013
A real hero and idol, symbolic of our love for Argyle.
His name even formed part of our everyday language at school in Callington in the late 60s, meaning “great” or “bleddy brilliant”. Someone would say “Whad’ee make of that?” and the answer would come back “Mike Bickle”.

Aug 5, 2015
I too have fond memories of the milkman. Especially that Torquay game on Boxing Day. Must have been 16 or 17 at the time.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
A real hero and idol, symbolic of our love for Argyle.
His name even formed part of our everyday language at school in Callington in the late 60s, meaning “great” or “bleddy brilliant”. Someone would say “Whad’ee make of that?” and the answer would come back “Mike Bickle”.
We second formers always thought some of you fifth formers were a bit strange Phil. Seriously though, I remember as a 10 year old being allowed to catch the train from Kelly Bray to Plymouth with the 'bigger boys' to watch the Corby Town FA Cup match in the Devonport End in which Mr Bickle scored one of his many hat tricks.

Reactions: philevs
Sep 26, 2009
SHERBORNE
Very sad news. Mike was a certainly a goal machine.
Great memories of him scoring against Torquay and Swindon. Also remember him scoring 4 in a 7-1 win against Cardiff.

RIP Mike. Condolences to family and friends.

Reactions: greensalt
Dec 9, 2012
Such sad news to hear of the passing of Mike Bickle - to a generation of fans, a true legend. I have just finished writing a family history - I thought I would do it while I could still remember! Of course, there is plenty about Argyle, as not supporting them was not an option within my family. Here is a short extract, and my memories of 'The Milkman'.

''Another sporting highlight of my time at Montpelier was the daily arrival of a milkman who worked for the Co-op dairy – a certain Mike Bickle. He played part time for St Austell, and was a prolific goal scorer, attracting the attention of professional clubs. He continued to both play football and deliver our daily free milk to school. Yes, in an effort to promote good health all schoolchildren were given free milk. Personally, I avoided it if at all possible. It was just kept in crates and, in warmer weather, was warm by the time we came to drink it. Anyway, once it was known that Mike was going to sign for our beloved Argyle, we used to wait for him to arrive and cheer him as he stacked the milk crates in the playground.

In December 1965 Mike Bickle signed for Argyle and went on to score 74 goals in 195 games before moving to Gillingham in November 1971. Sadly he broke his neck and although he recovered he injured his shoulder in his comeback game and he retired from the game. The ever reliable Wikipedia informs us:

‘’He returned to his native West Country but there is no record of him having any further involvement in football’’

This is not strictly true, as those of us who subsequently played in the Mayflower Five -A -Side League at the old Mayflower Sports Centre will testify.

Who could that somewhat sturdy looking player with the 1950s looking quiff possibly be? Oh gawd, it really is Mike Bickle, and we are about to play against him. As Argyle supporters we loved Mike Bickle. He was local, scored lots of goals and was wholehearted, always giving his all. He seemed to play with a real sense of fun – he was doing what so many of us would have loved to have done in by playing for his local team.To play against him was a different matter, he was strong, rugged and played with all the wiliness of an old pro. Nightmare.''

Thanks Mike, I am sure quite few of us almost found they had something in their eye when they heard the news yesterday.

Copyright 2023 SA

Last edited:
Reactions: djg145
Jul 23, 2021
11 Oct 1966 Vs Hull City. Bicks with a swirling 30 yarder, Richie Reynolds also got 2. My first game standing in the Lyndhurst with 15000 others in HP. ...hooked from that day onwards. Some players leave a never to be forgotten legacy. Thank you Mr Bickle.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Yes, fond memories is right, early days of watching Argyle. At the time he was playing for Argyle I remember as a kid watching a local match at Unity Park (good pitch Unity Park) opposite Peter Andersons shop across the road from Efford Cemetary and thinking that Mike Bickle had probably played there for Co-op Welfare before joining Argyle. That was part of what made 'local boy makes good' something in those days - they probably played on the same local pitches as most others. Wasn't it against Hull when we won 3-1 that he punched the ball in at the Barn Park End and it was given? You, sort of, expected him to score.
Yes, I think he punched that one in as I remember.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
I remember playing against Mike Bickle and Aiden Maher in lunchtime kick abouts in the Dockyard in the mid 80's, they were both Slingers by then and we were the electricians. They still treated the "kickabouts" like cup finals, hard as nails, but with a smile and a pat on the back as we walked away limping. Brilliant memories. Mike Bickle, HERO.
Slingers? Thought they were scaffolders.

Dec 30, 2011
Such sad news to hear of the passing of Mike Bickle - to a generation of fans, a true legend. I have just finished writing a family history - I thought I would do it while I could still remember! Of course, there is plenty about Argyle, as not supporting them was not an option within my family. Here is a short extract, and my memories of 'The Milkman'.
''Another sporting highlight of my time at Montpelier was the daily arrival of a milkman who worked for the Co-op dairy – a certain Mike Bickle. He played part time for St Austell, and was a prolific goal scorer, attracting the attention of professional clubs. He continued to both play football and deliver our daily free milk to school. Yes, in an effort to promote good health all schoolchildren were given free milk. Personally, I avoided it if at all possible. It was just kept in crates and, in warmer weather, was warm by the time we came to drink it. Anyway, once it was known that Mike was going to sign for our beloved Argyle, we used to wait for him to arrive and cheer him as he stacked the milk crates in the playground.

In December 1965 Mike Bickle signed for Argyle and went on to score 74 goals in 195 games before moving to Gillingham in November 1971. Sadly he broke his neck and although he recovered he injured his shoulder in his comeback game and he retired from the game. The ever reliable Wikipedia informs us:

‘’He returned to his native West Country but there is no record of him having any further involvement in football’’

This is not strictly true, as those of us who subsequently played in the Mayflower Five -A -Side League at the old Mayflower Sports Centre will testify.

Who could that somewhat sturdy looking player with the 1950s looking quiff possibly be? Oh gawd, it really is Mike Bickle, and we are about to play against him. As Argyle supporters we loved Mike Bickle. He was local, scored lots of goals and was wholehearted, always giving his all. He seemed to play with a real sense of fun – he was doing what so many of us would have loved to have done in by playing for his local team.To play against him was a different matter, he was strong, rugged and played with all the wiliness of an old pro. Nightmare.''

Thanks Mike, I am sure quite few of us almost found they had something in their eye when they heard the news yesterday.

Copyright 2023 SA
Glad you mentioned the Mayflower Five -A -Side League as I remember seeing him there, albeit his team were in a higher division than mine.