Nelson captain, McCormick Club Captain (+Daily Mail article) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Nelson captain, McCormick Club Captain (+Daily Mail article)

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Quotes taken out of context both from Luke and Guy Branston. In no way is PAFC trivialising what has occurred and whilst the press paint a picture of Luke being a jack the lad pro sportsman I cannot imagine this is the case.

Having never met the man I of course could be completely wrong but he always appeared to me to be well grounded. If his crime warranted life in prison then one would have hoped that is what he would have received. I don't remember the judge in this case saying that he wished he could punish more.

Luke being club captain could well be a double edged sword. On one hand he could maybe use it as a method of rehabilitation but on the other hand I assume his role incorporates visits to schools and hospitals etc. seeing children of the same age as the Peak children would have been at the time of the accident could well prove too upsetting.

In every press release regarding what occurred, what does concern me is that there is an assumption of unrepentence due in part to Luke not being allowed to publicly show his remorse.

Jan 31, 2005
South Devon
www.pafc.co.uk
Luke's crime will never be forgotten whilst he's still a footballer & I suspect will never be forgiven by many.

What I do know though is that he is deeply, profoundly affected by what happened & I'm pretty certain would swap his life for the 2 boys in a heartbeat if he could.

But of course he can't.

The role of Club Captain offers Luke opportunities to - even perhaps just microscopically - make some amends; sharing his learning & just maybe influencing others not to commit the crime he did.

My view is that this is a brave decision by our club; a brave decision by Luke.

I support it & will the outcomes to be good ones.

Jul 29, 2010
He signed this summer apparently, what great journalism.

To be expected I guess, given the papers concerned. I fundamentally disagree with the angle being placed on it but in a free country they can publish that, so be it.

The thing I never get though is they never seem remotely bothered about the raking up of hurt and loss to the family involved. I'm sure it's never far away but do they really need papers calling them up for a quote?, or seeing their kids photo's on the news stand on the way to work.

It neither helps their grieving process nor Luke's continuing rehabilitation.

Jul 29, 2010
loyal1970":uea00xzh said:
you lot make me sick about luke if he never played for argyle he would be the biggest c..t going

False. Rehabilitation of offenders who've served the sentence prescribed by the laws of this land is fair and necessary. It matters not who it is. It's needed in all cases although I reserve the right to make a less forgiving attitude to persistent recidivists, which Luke is not.

If you want 'an eye for an eye' Loyal, go live under sharia law somewhere. We live in an enlightened and civilised democracy.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
It was on westcountry early news last night. Re the article, what the media has been accused of over the last five or six years it seems a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. :furious:

Apr 15, 2008
London
Mike Greening":2amt3qmu said:
It was on westcountry early news last night. Re the article, what the media has been accused of over the last five or six years it seems a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. :furious:

Oh, the media are nothing if not hypocritical... just look at the BBC.

C

Cobi Budge.

You know it's a low grade article when they have to go trawling through Twitter and quote random fans.

They have made the article suggest that Argyle fans are up in arms about the decision

P

Paul_Roberts

Cobi Budge.":3to4wust said:
neilbet79":3to4wust said:
Personally, I think it's an unwise move. Regardless of whether he has served his time or not, it brings unwanted attention to the club.

From one rag of a paper and a few isolated fans on Twitter, I don't think it's a big deal personally.

That's a 'rag of a paper' with circa 150m monthly hits worldwide.

If you don't see it as a big deal then I think you need to stop commenting on this issue immediately.

P

Paul_Roberts

Cobi Budge.":27fkv38q said:
Don't take my words out of context.

Off course on the whole it's a huge issue, I just don't think this so called 'unwanted attention' is really, it barely exists and it doesn't do any damage.

I'm not hugely over the moon about the appointment but I support the decision.

I think we should all be relieved that you don't work in the club's comms department.

Apr 6, 2009
i support the decision and like luke mccormick

i don't condone what he did and don't like the blame being pushed around but hes been punished. i have a friend who isn't in the public eye who has served time and he has now changed and noone would beleive it if you first met him. i don['t hold it against him either as he has also been punished.

daily mail story will be in everyones bin tomorrow and i dont know of many people who read it and hold much to it. being in the medical profession the daily mail is the biggest joke around and just creates a huge workload reassuring people after articles they have read!

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
What McCormick did was a mistake which will have affects on both the family and him. He has served his time and he is also helping out a childrens charity. I'm sure if he could he would of turned back time and not into the car.

The club would of taken into consideration all the candidates (Wotton, Nelson etc) for the club captain role before appointing him.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
To put in perspective for myself. What Luke did was a terrible terrible accident, one that the result of which will haunt him for the rest of his life. He's not a repeat offender as some others are and if he were to be caught drunk behind the wheel again would lose any and all support but I'd like to think this has been not only an eye opener for himself but for others that may be in that position in the future.