Nelson captain, McCormick Club Captain (+Daily Mail article) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Nelson captain, McCormick Club Captain (+Daily Mail article)

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
Cobi Budge.":24f84636 said:
You know it's a low grade article when they have to go trawling through Twitter and quote random fans.

They have made the article suggest that Argyle fans are up in arms about the decision

I agree. The negative reaction is pretty minimal, so I'm surprised the Mail have even bothered to try and drag an article out of this.

I'm a 100% no to drink-driving (as everybody should be); me supporting the decision to make McCormick club captain doesn't mean otherwise.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Dammit, the mail article could have had so much more venom if Luke were foreign. Throw in a Kim Kardassian connection, and we'd be up to 160m hits.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Carl Barnard":3eavwc37 said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2696895/Football-fans-anger-Plymouth-Argyle-appoints-killer-drink-driver-goalkeeper-clubs-new-CAPTAIN-officials-want-second-chance.html

As to be expected, especially from the daily mail.

They seem to think he's the captain, no... he's club captain. Different. :facepalm:
Having read the link it reads quite clearly to me that he is club captain, I don't see any mention of team captain either. I don't think the article reads as particularly sensationalist either, perhaps that's what some want to read into it because it's a so called red top or rag. About 1.8 million a day buy a copy of that rag. Perhaps it's the readers of the 200,000 a day Guardian and such like who don't like the red tops full stop? And Ade, what Luke did wasn't a terrible accident, it was a crime that resulted in a terrible accident. Anyway, despite the fact that it's largely all water under the bridge now and Luke is within the law and able within society to pursue a career the same as anybody else who has committed a crime and done their time, I think it is a situation that could and should have been avoided by the club. It is obvious it would cause this sort of unwanted publicity to the club. If they wanted Luke to be the senior pro etc. they could have made him club captain unofficially amongst the players and the club without making it an official title or appointment and nobody would be any the wiser except those it immediately concerned. You only have to read this thread read by a few hundred fans to see how unnecessary the appointment was. Why let it be read by 150 million on the internet?

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
As of now ZERO comments on the article, so I think the silly attempt at causing a stir by the DM hasn't gone to plan. Let's just move on.

P

Paul_Roberts

dazzy3000":34zzs1wd said:
As of now ZERO comments on the article, so I think the silly attempt at causing a stir by the DM hasn't gone to plan. Let's just move on.

Add 141 to your figure and you'll be a bit closer.

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
Paul_Roberts":30bvtg1s said:
dazzy3000":30bvtg1s said:

Add 141 to your figure and you'll be a bit closer.

Oops was coming up as 0 before and only like 23 shares, apologies.

Aug 2, 2011
This post raises some hard truths. The first is that the press are the true dregs of society. Just think about the Milly Dowler phone hacking. They are happy to distort, half report and even blatantly lie in order to satisfy their personal egos and flog tomorrows fish and chip paper.

With regard to Luke what happened was an appalling tragedy however he is entitled to the same degree of rehabilitation back into society having served his sentence - no matter if you may hold the view that he got off leniently.

Everyone of us has broken the law at sometime or other be it speeding, mobile phone use, aggressive driving, carless driving or driving not necessarily knowingly whilst over the limit. There is no excuse for what Luke did not is there for the prats who cannot drive a car without a mobile phone held in their hands.

Lets leave the grubby little creatures who claim to be journalists under the stones they creep out from.

Site Manager

Administrator
Apr 3, 2013
The thread has been split, please do not speculate regarding the incident/tragedy with Luke McCormick. Thanks.

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
X Isle":29e26105 said:
H

The thing I never get though is they never seem remotely bothered about the raking up of hurt and loss to the family involved. I'm sure it's never far away but do they really need papers calling them up for a quote?, or seeing their kids photo's on the news stand on the way to work.

That is what I wondered - sure the family are trying their best to forget about him and every so often his name is dragged back up into public focus.

Mar 23, 2008
X Isle":1bgzp9nh said:
He signed this summer apparently, what great journalism.

To be expected I guess, given the papers concerned. I fundamentally disagree with the angle being placed on it but in a free country they can publish that, so be it.

The thing I never get though is they never seem remotely bothered about the raking up of hurt and loss to the family involved. I'm sure it's never far away but do they really need papers calling them up for a quote?, or seeing their kids photo's on the news stand on the way to work.

It neither helps their grieving process nor Luke's continuing rehabilitation.
Agree with this and JonB post above. The scary thing is, the fact the papers print these things suggests there's a market for it, doesn't say alot for modern society does it?

C

Cobi Budge.

Sheridan on appointing Luke

Luke’s club-captain role will be more of an organisational off-field one.

“It gives Luke a bit of responsibility,” said John, of his 30-year-old. “A lot of the lads look up to him; he’s very experienced; and I think he’s just got that demeanour about him.

“He’s good to deal with other things in situations that happen in and around the club. If the offices need to speak to the players, Luke will deal with that and come to me.”

Jul 6, 2011
Sensationalist rubbish from a failing newspaper, stuff like this should inspire Luke to greater heights. Nigel Farage gets the same media put-down every week, although the depth of the accusation is obviously not as serious, but it shows if they have something against you they will take it to the limit.
There's not a member of the Green army I know who hasn't the greatest of sympathy for the Peak family and we all wish it had never happened and many of us as parents couldn't even imagine the pain they are going through, even now.
God bless them, I hope in time they will be able to to look at Luke with some forgiveness in their hearts.

On the flipside what does annoy me though is Argyle fans making statements of such serious nature on global social media, knowing full well how it would affect the club and potentially usurp Argyles promotion chances. I find it difficult to see these people as true Argyle fans who want the very best for their club. In the early days of McCormick's return I recall statements by some of those quoted in the article as very anti. I don't wish to name names, but we know them very well and some comment on this site frequently. I hope they are proud of themselves and the potential damage they have done.

Just want to say to Luke McCormick:

Luke I would like to affirm you and say that my family and myself know you are a good man and I'm sure that those events of a few years ago haunt you most days, but you must learn to forgive yourself. You didn't go out that day to hurt anyone, it was a most tragic accident.
Don't listen to those who store up hatred in their hearts and don't be like them. Show by example that men can rise from the most tragic of circumstances and make a difference in this world. Go and have a championship winning season and prove those doubters wrong.

Brian & family