New Grandstand - 2 day public consultation | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New Grandstand - 2 day public consultation

T

The Grumpy Loyal

davie nine":2731upyb said:
The Grumpy Loyal":2731upyb said:
PL2 3DQ":2731upyb said:
It appears to be a similar version of the original plans, just without the cinema.

The new plot of land is an interesting 'development' with a hotel back on the agenda, has this land recently been sold to JB/HHP Nominee or does it belong to PCC?

I guess that may be revealed tomorrow.

You do have to laugh at Brent's transparency promise all those years ago though. A completely new parcel of land is suddenly earmarked for commercial and hotel development within the park. Plans are drawn up without any word whatsoever publicly spoken, and then the evening before these new plans are made public, they appear on the official site.

It would appear crystal clear Brent wants this new commercial development plan to be 'debated' publicly for as little time as is absolutely necessary.[/quote]

Argyle chairman James Brent said: "What we’re presenting over the next couple of days are full plans, not just for the grandstand but setting that in the context of Higher Home Park and an additional piece of land that we that we have agreed, subject to planning, so people will be able to see the total picture.
"The grandstand is clearly the core feature within it, but it also includes the proposed new ice-rink for Plymouth, which, in its own right, is very exciting because it will give us the only ice-rink west of Cardiff; and it will give those wonderful ice-skaters of all ages who’ve been practicing for so long to play a competitive match with an international standard ice-rink to play on.
"The additional piece of land is the old vets site which runs alongside the front of the Life Centre, so there is a commercial development plan for that site, including a new vet practice.
"There will be lots of plans, lots of pictures and I'm really keen to take lots of questions. I’m hoping to spend a bit of time on Saturday with the consultation, being able to answer questions myself, personally, as well. I'm very much looking forward to it."
The Mayflower grandstand plans reflect a long process of discussion, including with a working group comprising Argyle supporters.
James said: "Clearly we’re operating within a budget, as everyone will understand, and if we had a higher budget, we would no doubt have even better facilities
"But, within the budget, I think we’ve got a really good solution and it does create the balance that we sought to achieve from day one of preserving the history of Argyle and respecting the history of Home Park in terms of the facade, the shape of the Leitch building, and so on. But, at the same time, providing modern facilities that families, and supporters generally, deserve in the 21st century."
It appears that James Brent will be there on Saturday to respond to any cynics who continue to question his motives.

:facepalm:

Has it really never occured to you why this article has been sanctioned for release only on the eve of plans being displayed publicly? It ain't rocket science is it?

Why do you think this brand new parcel of land earmarked for hotel and commercial development has never ever been mentioned publicly before, only to be dropped in less than 24hrs before a public consultation?

Jul 29, 2010
Is Simon Halletts £5m going into the retail development too, or just the grandstand?

It is indeed worthy of cynicism that this has been mentioned at the eleventh hour.

That could be mitigated however with the simple addition of a sentence that explains the revenue from these units will be ploughed back into Argyle. That therefore would be my second question...

...which, like Cheshire, I will not be spanning the country to ask myself.

May 8, 2011
The Grumpy Loyal":lefdxmph said:
davie nine":lefdxmph said:
The Grumpy Loyal":lefdxmph said:
PL2 3DQ":lefdxmph said:
It appears to be a similar version of the original plans, just without the cinema.

The new plot of land is an interesting 'development' with a hotel back on the agenda, has this land recently been sold to JB/HHP Nominee or does it belong to PCC?

You do have to laugh at Brent's transparency promise all those years ago though. A completely new parcel of land is suddenly earmarked for commercial and hotel development within the park. Plans are drawn up without any word whatsoever publicly spoken, and then the evening before these new plans are made public, they appear on the official site.

It would appear crystal clear Brent wants this new commercial development plan to be 'debated' publicly for as little time as is absolutely necessary.[/quote]

Argyle chairman James Brent said: "What we’re presenting over the next couple of days are full plans, not just for the grandstand but setting that in the context of Higher Home Park and an additional piece of land that we that we have agreed, subject to planning, so people will be able to see the total picture.
"The grandstand is clearly the core feature within it, but it also includes the proposed new ice-rink for Plymouth, which, in its own right, is very exciting because it will give us the only ice-rink west of Cardiff; and it will give those wonderful ice-skaters of all ages who’ve been practicing for so long to play a competitive match with an international standard ice-rink to play on.
"The additional piece of land is the old vets site which runs alongside the front of the Life Centre, so there is a commercial development plan for that site, including a new vet practice.
"There will be lots of plans, lots of pictures and I'm really keen to take lots of questions. I’m hoping to spend a bit of time on Saturday with the consultation, being able to answer questions myself, personally, as well. I'm very much looking forward to it."
The Mayflower grandstand plans reflect a long process of discussion, including with a working group comprising Argyle supporters.
James said: "Clearly we’re operating within a budget, as everyone will understand, and if we had a higher budget, we would no doubt have even better facilities
"But, within the budget, I think we’ve got a really good solution and it does create the balance that we sought to achieve from day one of preserving the history of Argyle and respecting the history of Home Park in terms of the facade, the shape of the Leitch building, and so on. But, at the same time, providing modern facilities that families, and supporters generally, deserve in the 21st century."
It appears that James Brent will be there on Saturday to respond to any cynics who continue to question his motives.

Has it really never occured to you why this article has been sanctioned for release only on the eve of plans being displayed publicly? It ain't rocket science is it?

Why do you think this brand new parcel of land earmarked for hotel and commercial development has never ever been mentioned publicly before, only to be dropped in less than 24hrs before a public consultation?

Because that piece of land isn't part of Home Park or Higher Home Park but is part of the wider development within Central Park.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
HC Green":wzgpz6c8 said:
The Grumpy Loyal":wzgpz6c8 said:
davie nine":wzgpz6c8 said:
The Grumpy Loyal":wzgpz6c8 said:
PL2 3DQ":wzgpz6c8 said:

Because that piece of land isn't part of Home Park or Higher Home Park but is part of the wider development within Central Park.

In a nutshell!

Does it matter who owns it? Is it of anyone elses business?

No!

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Always been a fan of Brent, but this ISNT clear or transparent. Retail units and a hotel WILL be contentious in Central Park.

There is absolutely no reason this should be a joint application and will only delay things. The funding is in place for the grandstand so it is not dependent on finance from other developments.

So Brent, disappointed with this.

May 8, 2011
Stuart House":3svba25l said:
Always been a fan of Brent, but this ISNT clear or transparent. Retail units and a hotel WILL be contentious in Central Park.

There is absolutely no reason this should be a joint application and will only delay things. The funding is in place for the grandstand so it is not dependent on finance from other developments.

So Brent, disappointed with this.

I doubt if the hotel retail will be contentious as it is on land already built on. The Friends of Central Park were invited to Home Park earlier this week to view and discuss the plans, they unusually for them have not commented.

As Planning permission was granted for a much larger retail commercial development as this proposal is far more modest it should be less contentious.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
X Isle":20to749u said:
Is Simon Halletts £5m going into the retail development too, or just the grandstand?

It is indeed worthy of cynicism that this has been mentioned at the eleventh hour.

That could be mitigated however with the simple addition of a sentence that explains the revenue from these units will be ploughed back into Argyle. That therefore would be my second question...

In Erringtons Herald interview with Brent he seems to suggest that Hallett has financed the Grandstand development so that money pot is separate. Which begs the question, where has the money for an 1100 seater ice rink, a four storey unit for 3 restaurants, gym and 2 office floors, a newly acquired piece of land with planning for a new vets, a cafe, a couple of other units and a hotel?

The previous HHP deal saw the club benefit financially from the development to the tune of approx 10mil to be invested in the Grandstand, whereas now the Hallett family have kindly stumped up the cash and Brent is getting a free ride to profit off the surrounding area. Meanwhile the Green Taverners appear to lose their fanfest tent and I can't see where a replacement venue is to be? Theres the members bar, but isn't that just the far post club? No supporters bar for non members?

I don't see how the club benefits from these extra developments. If anything it's counterproductive to the Grandstand refurb and only serves to once again attempt to hem in the surrounding area.

I also really really don't like the use of so many graphics of the completed stadium. We've been told now that there is no genuine plan to complete the stadium. Continuing to push phase 2 images while phase 1 is the only plan on the table is deliberately misleading and just makes me a bit skeptical about the whole thing.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
The Grumpy Loyal":2a25qlxw said:
davie nine":2a25qlxw said:
The Grumpy Loyal":2a25qlxw said:
PL2 3DQ":2a25qlxw said:

Just go along to Home Park on Saturday and challenge JB with your concerns.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

X Isle":1hx37g3v said:

It never ceases to amaze me, the naivety so many still have when it comes to Brent and his original motives for ever getting involved with a football club. Do you seriously not remember the retail unitsBrent had earmarked for his HHP plan, whereby all revenues went to Akkeron, and not to PAFC?

Well this is purely a different version. Only it is even less justified. Why? Well because the original plan was going to potentially fund the Grandstand build. That isn't an issue now with Hallett lending the club money for the revised Grandstand.

This new abomination of cafes restaurants and offices is funded purely by Brent, so the profit from it will go of course to Akkeron.

http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/ice-rink- ... story.html

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Well that's just confirmed to me what I always thought would happen with future of the club.

SH will be funding the redevelopment of the mayflower and Brent to finance the higher home park and commercial units.

Expect the club to be solely handed over to SH once the non Mayflower development phase starts.

May 8, 2011
The Grumpy Loyal":1xmvdqs0 said:
X Isle":1xmvdqs0 said:

It never ceases to amaze me, the naivety so many still have when it comes to Brent and his original motives for ever getting involved with a football club. Do you seriously not remember the retail unitsBrent had earmarked for his HHP plan, whereby all revenues went to Akkeron, and not to PAFC?

Well this is purely a different version. Only it is even less justified. Why? Well because the original plan was going to potentially fund the Grandstand build. That isn't an issue now with Hallett lending the club money for the revised Grandstand.

This new abomination of cafes restaurants and offices is funded purely by Brent, so the profit from it will go of course to Akkeron.

http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/ice-rink- ... story.html[/quote

There was a commitment when HHP was sold that the redevelopment of HHP proposed then would either fund a new grandstand or give Argyle 50% of any windfall profit from the redevelopment of the land.

As we know that scheme didn't go ahead and in the revised version there won't be enough funding for the Grandstand as there isn't going to be very much commercial development.
I assume the windfall profit would have arisen when the freehold of the redeveloped HHP was sold, but as the new development is anchored by an Ice Rink which will probably be managed by the Pavilions I doubt if the freehold will be sold and anyway it's value will be far less than had a hotel, cinema etc had been built.

But Argyle, the Pavilions and Akkeron are all part of the same Company.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
PL2 3DQ":3n7qok2d said:
Some new plans have been published on the club website. Finally, there is a view from the pitch of phase one of the refurbished grandstand and it looks impressive.

The ice arena is where the club shop and offices are now and does not have seating all around the rink.
Adjacent to the ice arena on what is now the club car park will be offices and a gym.

A new development and previously not mentioned before are plans to build on the land where the vets currently is.
The plans show a new vets area, units, a cafe and a hotel entrance although I can't see an actual hotel unless it is above the units.

Who owns this land?

Club website

Says in the Herald report Brent buying it. Didn't see reference to who from.

Mar 21, 2008
This just demonstrates Brent's motives all along. Previously he could attempt to build his massive profit making complex on the promise that it would fund the ground, now the funding is provided from within the club and he goes ahead and builds his little empire on our doorstep anyway, only now with no apparent benefit to the club anywhere.

You can guarantee he'll find the funding for this development without any issues aswell, unlike the grandstand.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
We have a property developer in bankers clothes running our club. Let's not get confused here Brent is and has only ever been interested in development Ballet is more Argyle but his money is in the form of a Loan at sympathetic rates effectively we are paying for the grandstand over 25 years or so
This development could have and should have been part of funding argyle going forward but in fact will all end up in Brents pension

Very sneaky how he has done this