New Grandstand - 2 day public consultation | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New Grandstand - 2 day public consultation

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The Grumpy Loyal":14rslsrq said:
I did wonder how long before the "but he saved us" line would be trotted out. :clap: :scarf:

As opposed to what? You supported Heaney did you?

Or was it one of the other people lining up?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
It'll be interesting to see what gets proposed on the existing pavilion site now the green light looks set for higher home park.

Talk about ulterior motives

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The Grumpy Loyal":34w8df62 said:
I did wonder how long before the "but he saved us" line would be trotted out. :clap: :scarf:

How come you never talk about football and yet when James Brent is mentioned you can't stop posting!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
As an Argyle fan the plans for the refurbished grandstand look good, especially as we now have a view from the Lyndhurst of Stage One of the rebuild. We are desperate for that to go ahead and have regular income from the corporate facilities.

The car park and portacabins needed replacing so the ice arena and offices and gym are welcome.

As a Plymothian the hotel and restaurant units will be built on land that already has commercial property on it but the back of the vets has become ramshackle and run down so the hotel etc will be an improvement and compliment the Life Centre.

The important issue is that no extra park land will be taken over, the three developments will be built on existing footprints.

My concern is that if there's a problem with the planning application for the hotel will it delay the refurbishment of the grandstand?

Or it could work the other way with a problem with the grandstand application holding up the construction of the ice arena or hotel.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I don't have any particular problem with the extra development as such, beyond the way it's been presented at the last minute without much explanation.

I'd just be curious about what kind of restaurants they are, given the abundance of outlets in the city centre and 14 more to come with Bretonside. Clearly sports bars and healthy food cafes would be more appropriate given the location, than McDonald's and Pizza Huts.

And if they are sports bars, I'd hope it won't detract from the Argyle fan bars that I'm equally curious to see.

Aug 13, 2006
Cornwall
Couldn't JB just put through separate planning applications? This will probably slow down or derail the stand plans. Good to know he has money to spend then. Shame he couldn't use it to complete stage 2 with stage 1. Rather than building the ice rink, hotel and restaurants. Have an uneasy feeling about all this again.

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
I really don't understand the negativity around James Brent and his plans. Yes, he saved this club but, even if that wasn't the case, why do people expect him to keep pumping his own cash into the club without any chance of every recovering it?

He's a businessman. The clue is in the title. But let's also not forget the Plymouth Argyle Football Club is a business too and we have a very shrewd businessman at our helm. The football club is on the up and Mr Brent deserves a great deal of credit for what he's done. If we get the new Grandstand (or refurb), the general facilities in and around the ground improve, then I'm a happy man. If James Brent makes a few quid in the process, I couldn't actually care less... he might actually reinvest some of it you know!!

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
MajorGreen":3annvcdo said:
I really don't understand the negativity around James Brent and his plans. Yes, he saved this club but, even if that wasn't the case, why do people expect him to keep pumping his own cash into the club without any chance of every recovering it?

He's a businessman. The clue is in the title. But let's also not forget the Plymouth Argyle Football Club is a business too and we have a very shrewd businessman at our helm. The football club is on the up and Mr Brent deserves a great deal of credit for what he's done. If we get the new Grandstand (or refurb), the general facilities in and around the ground improve, then I'm a happy man. If James Brent makes a few quid in the process, I couldn't actually care less... he might actually reinvest some of it you know!!

Absolutely spot on. I think you've captured the feelings of much of the fan base there. Well, the level-headed ones at least.

Penlee

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":1bfsxv8g said:
As an Argyle fan the plans for the refurbished grandstand look good, especially as we now have a view from the Lyndhurst of Stage One of the rebuild. We are desperate for that to go ahead and have regular income from the corporate facilities.

The car park and portacabins needed replacing so the ice arena and offices and gym are welcome.

As a Plymothian the hotel and restaurant units will be built on land that already has commercial property on it but the back of the vets has become ramshackle and run down so the hotel etc will be an improvement and compliment the Life Centre.

The important issue is that no extra park land will be taken over, the three developments will be built on existing footprints.

My concern is that if there's a problem with the planning application for the hotel will it delay the refurbishment of the grandstand?

Or it could work the other way with a problem with the grandstand application holding up the construction of the ice arena or hotel.

Agreed

Penlee

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":34slaw68 said:

Agreed - I'm popping up later to have a closer look

Jan 20, 2005
Plymouth, Devon
I just think some of the posts on here sum up the mind-set of 'apathetic Janners'. We always seem to moan when there is any glimmer of change. IMO, HHP and the surrounding area needs investment and the Grandstand development will bring in funds to the Club 24-7, whilst the development next to Elm Vets could bring extra footfall to the area and, as others have said, Brent may invest some of the profits he makes from the ice-rink, café etc.

I appreciate that we still have to scrutinise everything that's put in front of us as memories of the NWO have taught us; however, I truly believe JB has the interests of Plymouth Argyle Football Club at heart and we shouldn't forget that.