New strip in shop on Saturday! Are you buying one? | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New strip in shop on Saturday! Are you buying one?

Will you be buying a new kit?

• No

Votes: 73 45.6%
  • Yes - both home & away

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Yes - away

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yes - home

Votes: 78 48.8%

• Total voters
Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
X Isle":2v3tr1b7 said:
IJN":2v3tr1b7 said:
He never minded.

4235817.jpg

.....ask yer Grandad kids ;-)

Re: discounts, does anyone else never bother? I know it's all part of the 'sales pitch' for memberships 'n' all but discounts claimed are profit margins shaved off the transaction for Argyle.

The woman asked if I had my season-ticket on me. How relieved I was to discover £68's worth of stuff only cost £65! :roll:

I hope I've spent enough money today for them to not feel like I'm taking money away from them! :lol:

Jan 28, 2005
Adam Dyer":3ejenma7 said:
Looking at the Devonport in the background of that photo makes me miss it! :-(

ASK YOUR GRANDAD? OKAY ...

The PM picture was taken in summer of 1975 (two stripe trim on sleeve) not the inferior one green stripe of the following season. However, I don't think that it is the Ballard Stand in the background. I think it is the Peverell End of the Popular Side - houses can be seen so the goal must be a training goal. Houses could not be seen from Spion Kop.

discuss ...

10 STEPS START HERE.

born 1958.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Swillyboy":obkhotmv said:
Adam Dyer":obkhotmv said:
Looking at the Devonport in the background of that photo makes me miss it! :-(

ASK YOUR GRANDAD? OKAY ...

The PM picture was taken in summer of 1975 (two stripe trim on sleeve) not the inferior one green stripe of the following season. However, I don't think that it is the Ballard Stand in the background. I think it is the Peverell End of the Popular Side - houses can be seen so the goal must be a training goal. Houses could not be seen from Spion Kop.

discuss ...

10 STEPS START HERE.

born 1958.

It looks like you're right - that could be the Lyndhurst side. But my point still stands - I miss the old Devonport End!

B

Baby Face Johnson

Hmmmmm. If that's the Lyndhurst, then the white line is the touch line. It looks too far in for me, so must be the half way line, which would make that the Devonport End. The houses are seen through the gap between the Devonport and Spion Kop (sleepers).

Dec 3, 2005
That is the Demport End and the gap between the Demport and Spion Kop - houses behind will be Outland Road.

Also the door/exit at the back of the Demport End (far left in picture), the Lyndhurst didn't have a door/exit at the back of it - you entered the Lyndhurst either end in the good old days - before extra fencing at the Barn Park end of the Lindy.

Steve Dean

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
djg145":pnbx0l9n said:
That is the Demport End and the gap between the Demport and Spion Kop - houses behind will be Outland Road.

Also the door/exit at the back of the Demport End (far left in picture), the Lyndhurst didn't have a door/exit at the back of it - you entered the Lyndhurst either end in the good old days - before extra fencing at the Barn Park end of the Lindy.
Yes, definitely the original Devonport End roof, build by the Supporters' Club (with financial help from Ballard) in 1930 - see top-left in this pic and also described here. It was demolished in 1977, 2 years after the Mariner photo was taken. Interesting to see Swillyboy call it the Ballard Stand - I've never heard it called that before. I know Ballard did have part of a stand named after him - the west-end extension of the grandstand that was destroyed in the war.

image258.jpg

And going off-topic even more, I'm interested to know when the term 'Spion Kop' took hold. It was never that in my day (gulp, did I really use that phrase?!). It was always The Sleepers. Not due to the habits of the inhabitants, but because of the railway sleepers used in its construction. And it wasn't exactly a hotbed of fervour, which makes the SK reference even more strange, given its usual use in football (a stand occupied by a club's most vocal supporters - e.g. Liverpool's Kop).

Back on topic, yes there was a surprising number of shirts on display - the club must have done very well in the first 24 hours of sale. Not sure I'd call 75% green and 25% white 'stripes' though! ;)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
djg145":1wyfv8bi said:
Can I change my vote from a YES to a NO.

The club badge is awful - just PVC stuck on by the feel of it, and the Training gear has a proper badge on it, so strange.

Sorry, but the badge thing looks so cheap and nasty, definitely not paying full price for that.

Puma pay Arsenal about £30m a year, and their new shirt has a stuck on badge as well. Definitely a 'Puma thing' rather than an 'Argyle thing'. Doesn't bother me too much anyway.

Jan 28, 2005
I only rarely heard older fans say "Ballard Stand" but it was definitely "Popular Side" and "Peverell End" in my childhood. However, I think the old Devonport End was not dismantled until the 1979-80 season. I am always willing to be corrected.

I thought we were going to have the Devon and Cornwall flag kits. What happened to them? To be honest, despite being loyal to "Kelly Green" (the traditional shade) my secret preference is the 1960s white kit with the green and black circlet. I am not really a fan of stripes.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
With nearly 50% of voters not buying the strip the stripes hardly seem a big success. Lets just hope the football is better and PROMOTION eases the pain

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Not sure of your point Sam (as usual).

If you think any poll is indicative of the real supporting world, that means that about 3,500 shirts will be purchased, I would have thought PAFC would be chuffed with that.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
I think the average PASOTI member is more likely to buy a shirt than Joe public but agree 3,500 striped shirts at our 1st home game would be amazing and help the club financially. Sadly somehow I just cant see it happening

Just think a non striped shirt is less controversial and generally more appealing, ultimately creating more income for the club but if it takes us to promotion maybe I will come round