Reid to miss start of pre-season | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Reid to miss start of pre-season

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
IJN":5rfyjjhm said:
I never saw RR duck out of running back until he was injured.

He played way past when he should have (Exeter away was his last good game IMHO).

Any manager that was not 'risk averse' would have played Brunt up front for the majority of the games from then.

We're now paying for that, and many of us can look forward to seeing Reuben fresh again, whenever he is ready.

Absolutely! All the characteristics Frank wants from Reuben he was getting, until he was injured. I'm sure that 3 nil win over Pompey is available online somewhere to watch, check that out and you'll see two forwards absolutely terrorise the opposition back line with and without the ball. How can some be so blind to understand that an injury caused a drop in form? It's a legitimate excuse for Reuben and to continuously slam him for an injury is borderline obsessive in a negative campaign against him.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Reuben wasn't the only player carrying an injury. Hartley, McHugh and Mellor were carrying injuries and restricted in their movement in the last few games.

Certainly, Hartley, in particular, had a hip injury that appeared to coincide with the fact that we were losing aerial set-piece battles in defence and attack.

Aug 10, 2006
monkeywrench":1k0gtspc said:
Yep I'm sure that DA is going to sideline a 20 goal a season striker. Grow on trees them!
reid won't start the season so it give's the other forward's a chance to make a name and if they are scoring and we are winning game's then I can't see da bringing in reid even if he did score 20 goal's.

Dec 3, 2005
spowell92":37xgm9q4 said:
IJN":37xgm9q4 said:

He played way past when he should have (Exeter away was his last good game IMHO).

Any manager that was not 'risk averse' would have played Brunt up front for the majority of the games from then.

We're now paying for that, and many of us can look forward to seeing Reuben fresh again, whenever he is ready.

Absolutely! All the characteristics Frank wants from Reuben he was getting, until he was injured. I'm sure that 3 nil win over Pompey is available online somewhere to watch, check that out and you'll see two forwards absolutely terrorise the opposition back line with and without the ball. How can some be so blind to understand that an injury caused a drop in form? It's a legitimate excuse for Reuben and to continuously slam him for an injury is borderline obsessive in a negative campaign against him.

Sheridan was to blame and his Coaches - they knew RR wasn't fully fit and continued to play him, the later games Brunt, Banton or Harvey should have been played. RR scored 20 goals when he was fit, unfit the goals dried up, but Sheridan persisted in playing in, to Argyle's detriment and the player. I believe this season we will see these players perform so much better under a Manager who looks like he knows what he is doing. Hope RR gets himself 100% fit, so he can challenge for his place, with hope he may struggle to get into the team, because the new strike force is banging in the goals. :) But that competion will be good for Argyle and good for the players. If you know your going to be picked every game, even though you are not fit, where is the incentive?

May 3, 2009
perlymuff
For years we were all crying out about how much we needed a 20 goals a season striker.....We finally get one and some proceed to rip his game apart....beggars belief really. Reid is neither lazy or slow. When fully fit and confident he's more than a handful for any defender in the lower leagues. With a couple of decent wingers and central midfielders supporting and supplying him with chances he'll be even better. The only 2 players we had capable of create anything for him last season on anything like a consistent basis were Kellet and Bobby Reid. Hence he would get the more and be forced to try and make his own chances too often.
I agree with an earlier poster who said he's our best and most important outfield player. No doubt about it in my opinion

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
djg145":3n1fxkzi said:
spowell92":3n1fxkzi said:
IJN":3n1fxkzi said:

Sheridan was to blame and his Coaches - they knew RR wasn't fully fit and continued to play him, the later games Brunt, Banton or Harvey should have been played. RR scored 20 goals when he was fit, unfit the goals dried up, but Sheridan persisted in playing in, to Argyle's detriment and the player. I believe this season we will see these players perform so much better under a Manager who looks like he knows what he is doing. Hope RR gets himself 100% fit, so he can challenge for his place, with hope he may struggle to get into the team, because the new strike force is banging in the goals. :) But that competion will be good for Argyle and good for the players. If you know your going to be picked every game, even though you are not fit, where is the incentive?

Overthinking it perhaps.

How these sports entertainers get by seems essentially two months of relative slog in the summer (omitting injury) and then whatever practice you fit in the five days or so before any given match. Knowing you'll be putting that effort into practice at the next match can hardly be a disincentive, can it? Putting in effort and knowing it'll never impress the team selector, a la Harvey perhaps, that'd be disincentive!

Mind you, it's individual choice to prepare for each saturday as it arrives, whether near a cowshed in the fourth loan spell of the season, or on a five year contract and "one of the club's" players. But monthly contracts, no win no fee, is the only way to make lower league finances work.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Mark Pedlar":3kl6xlap said:
LG":3kl6xlap said:
My boss asked me today 'Who is Rueben Reid?'
All over the Coventry forums that Mowbray is interested in signing him.
:think:

http://coventryobserver.co.uk/sport/ton ... mate-8403/

Wrong R(e)uben. Given Coventry's financial position I wouldn't have thought they could afford our Reuben.
Boss has gone to lunch atm, but i'll ask him where he saw it over the weekend. he definitely mentioned a 20 goal a year striker!
the lad in the report is a 20 year old.
my boss may well have been confused.
to be continued...

Oct 19, 2010
I heard at the weekend that Notts County have had a bid rejected for him, good to know we're finally in a position to turn down bids for our best players at least!

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Argy1e":k03t9h22 said:
There was a journalist who looked around for strikers Coventry could look to sign this summer and Reuben was on his list, it's probably just developed from that.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/ ... ty-9614329
That's probably the one! :thumbs:
not sure what the Coventry version of pasoti is, but i'll ask the boss man once he's back

Jun 8, 2014
Philly Cent":zs4kcmtx said:
I heard at the weekend that Notts County have had a bid rejected for him, good to know we're finally in a position to turn down bids for our best players at least!

What are you on about?? We rejected several pennies for Hourihane before selling him for a couple of quid. We're only in a position to turn down 'derisory' bids, 'a bit below true value' and we're basically signed the deal.. :crazy: