Sheridan has (allegedly) lost the dressing room. | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan has (allegedly) lost the dressing room.

Oct 15, 2013
Just my guess on the matter, but from the evidence available, it stinks to me that Sheridan can't tactically win a match for one main reason, not understanding his players and their capabilities properly.

Other managers are able to outwit Sheridan because they have a total understanding of each of their players, their strengths & weaknesses and how they can put all the pieces together to create a tactical scenario. In other words they are able to predict with some certainty how their team will play with individual players added or removed and their formations, then they can effectively pitch that lineup against an opposition. Furthermore they are able to read what's happening in the middle of a game and formulate an alternative plan if it's not going their way.

Sheridan just doesn't seem to have this vital understanding of his players and team in the bag. It could be because his heart is not in it, rumours of preferring the north/not spending much time down here, slouched & dour manner, not engaging with fans etc. Or it could be that he is just not a good manager?

Either way if I was Brent I'd be looking for him to show more commitment and better tactical performances or else I'd be looking for a new manager who really wants to be here and commit to the players and team.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
UncleBuck":1j3mo2a5 said:
Just my guess on the matter, but from the evidence available, it stinks to me that Sheridan can't tactically win a match for one main reason, not understanding his players and their capabilities properly.

Other managers are able to outwit Sheridan because they have a total understanding of each of their players, their strengths & weaknesses and how they can put all the pieces together to create a tactical scenario. In other words they are able to predict with some certainty how their team will play with individual players added or removed and their formations, then they can effectively pitch that lineup against an opposition. Furthermore they are able to read what's happening in the middle of a game and formulate an alternative plan if it's not going their way.

Sheridan just doesn't seem to have this vital understanding of his players and team in the bag. It could be because his heart is not in it, rumours of preferring the north/not spending much time down here, slouched & dour manner, not engaging with fans etc. Or it could be that he is just not a good manager?

Either way if I was Brent I'd be looking for him to show more commitment and better tactical performances or else I'd be looking for a new manager who really wants to be here and commit to the players and team.

I agree with the tactical comments in your post.
The opposition manager usually takes about 20 to 30 minutes to work out Sheridan's game-plan in a match which is why we usually play well early in the match. Once the opposition manager makes some adjustments it's game over and the half time team talk from Sheridan makes no difference.

But Sheridan hasn't become a poor manager overnight, he got Chesterfield promoted from League Two, where the issue is, in my opinion, is the coaching staff. It's now clear that Sheridan relied on his former coaches at Chesterfield to help with decisions during a game.

So the question should be - are Gary Owers and Sean McCarthy good enough?
Owers has been manager at four non-league clubs and McCarthy had a short spell at Ipswich as a coach and managed Truro, is this enough experience and knowledge?
That said, some of the issues during a match are obvious to everyone including former professional footballers.

Dec 7, 2006
I thought it was quite funny on Saturday when, after a bit of a goalmouth panic by Cole in the first half, Sheridan shouted from the dugout "Jake, effing relax!!" a couple of times to which JC replied "I heard you the first time".

B

Big Ears

Something is very wrong with this team and none of it adds up. Sheridan says he wants players to argue with him and they're not. Could this be that they don't have any respect for him so why bother.
He comes out in the press saying that he doesn't know where the problem is.
He has played awful football for 90% of the season.
He says one thing and does another. This man needs replacing.
Would any other person doing his job, in any industry, who consistently produces a poor product get away with a response of "I don't know what's wrong"? - I don't think so.
What makes the green tints think that he'll do better next season? (answers please) as he's shown nothing in my view that he's capable of improving.
I enjoyed Fletchers football far more than the rubbish that has been served up this season.
I'm gutted that we have another poor season on the horizon and only hope that the footballing people on the Board do something about it.

Jan 3, 2013
Poor league poor teams poor tactics poor manager god forbid next season the league will be far better with Luton, possibly Cambridge coming up and 4 decent sides coming down. Pity our "chairman" didn't have a clue about football

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
MannameadGreen":1hq8iv1i said:
Boco hasn't worked out, but it wasn't a bad signing at the time. He scored 10 goals in this league for an Accrington side that was poor, and he's the sort of player that you'd expect he'd play better with better players around him. Certain players will have clubs where it just won't work for them even though they've a good record everywhere else before and after: think Diego Forlan at Manchester United or Chris Sutton at Chelsea. Morgan is similar.

It's a combination of hindsight and the "we're the mighty Plymouth Argyle, how dare we be signing players from little old Accrington Stanley" mentality. We're a League Two club.
I think you are right.

Boco and Morgan will probably leave HP in Sheridan's summer clear out (please God) and go on to have stellar careers elsewhere and we will talk about them for years to come as the ones we let go.

I wouldn't be surprised if Morgan emulated Foran and won the Golden Boot.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
JS's half time team talks not producing tangible on field results has been raised on here. Funnily enough there is a large piece of editorial in The Times today [re.Moyse] indicating that it has been proven that half time team talks do not produce the effects they are cracked up to produce. This is apparently particularly true in respect of teams in the Premiership and Championship made up sometimes of players from say 6 different nations, who have a limited use of the English language and particularly unsure knowledge of the ranting expletives of the coach/manager in the dressing room up against a tight time schedule.

C

Cobi Budge.

Big Ears":1ykfada0 said:
Something is very wrong with this team and none of it adds up. Sheridan says he wants players to argue with him and they're not. Could this be that they don't have any respect for him so why bother.
Would any other person doing his job, in any industry, who consistently produces a poor product get away with a response of "I don't know what's wrong"? - I don't think so.
What makes the green tints think that he'll do better next season? (answers please) as he's shown nothing in my view that he's capable of improving.
I enjoyed Fletchers football far more than the rubbish that has been served up this season.
I'm gutted that we have another poor season on the horizon and only hope that the footballing people on the Board do something about it.

I agree with that.

It's not like we don't have a team full of characters.

I do get the feeling he's lost the dressing room, they just look like they don't wanna play for him.

W

Wilfredo

Cobi Budge.":1tfrkwfw said:
Big Ears":1tfrkwfw said:

I agree with that.

It's not like we don't have a team full of characters.

I do get the feeling he's lost the dressing room, they just look like they don't wanna play for him.

I also agree and think he has lost the dressing room. The problem is....if we keep Sheridan we all know by his own admission he will lose most of the dressing room (excuse the pun) and look to replace them? Two factors to consider here

1. We all know he can't attract players down here. Only ones from the scrap heap (Reckord, Bocco, Blackman, and Bencheriff) to name a few.
2. Players talk and word gets out, so who in their right mind will want to come and play for him?

The only solution is to get rid now and remove the last bit of poison in our club otherwise relegation next season will be a distinct possibility.

Oct 8, 2008
Last season we we're 21st, this season we're in the top ten.

He's not Luggy, nor is he Colin, he is a proper manager though and will do for me.

Out of this crap league next season please, don't care how.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
ziconess":1ljz0w23 said:
Last season we we're 21st, this season we're in the top ten.

He's not Luggy, nor is he Colin, he is a proper manager though and will do for me.

Out of this crap league next season please, don't care how.

Apart from going down I presume.

May 1, 2011
briangreen":1xrddnfg said:
Pilgrim61":1xrddnfg said:
It was interesting reading comments on the style of three of the most successful managers in English football this season - Rodgers, Dyche, Jackett - coaching abilities and attention to detail aside, there are two things that stand out in contrast to JS:

1) their empathy with the fans and the 'one team' mentality they have built up......

Pretty non-existent. JS talks about the fans but can anyone honestly say he has endeared himself to us?

Well I don't hate him, definitely better than Reid, Fletcher or Luggy mk 2

2) they don't seem to agree with the approach of berating the team in public.....

Of course Argyle are not winning as much, so it may be warranted when JS is asked about the performance - he can't say it's acceptable when it clearly isn't...... but JS gives the continual impression that he is from the Glenn Hoddle 'I'm better than this lot' school of management.

As a player he was far superior to anyone in our team and his record as a manager is not bad, whatever people say.

I don't know what it is with JS, but when you hear the managers we have played in the last three games talking - Waddock, Flitcroft and Ardley - they all talk about tactics and how they changed the game etc in a way you just don't hear from JS.
So we are accusing him of the things he didn't say?
:silent:

JS seems to be really hated by the fans. Sad really...

Hated?? Why do you use emotional non-related language?

C

Cobi Budge.

I don't think Sheridan is hated by the fans?

I just think an awful lot have completely lost faith in him & rightly so.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Respect in the dressing room is difficult to achieve for a manager after trashing your players openly in the press regularly.