Sheridan has (allegedly) lost the dressing room. | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan has (allegedly) lost the dressing room.

Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
demportdave said:
Andy in Peverell said:
More than a tad patronising ^^^^^

Boco scored 10 goals in a struggling Accrington team which on the face of it ain't to bad and would have been very welcome if he'd reproduced that for us this year

Shrewsbury fans were genuinely sorry to see Morgan leave and said that although he wasn't a consistent scorer he provided well for others and did the donkey work. Also he probably has a similar goal record to Micky Evans who's still well regarded.
You are deluded, get the green glasses off.

Boco is a lower league nobody who has been given numerous chances to show what he can do and failed to deliver every time. A complete flop who can't even get on the pitch when we are desperate, like yesterday. He will be gone in the summer if Sheridan can find any takers,

Ditto Morgan - another waste of a shirt and to compare him to Mickey Evans... Unbelievable!

All I compared was his goal ratio at Shrewsbury which is better than Evans. Evans played in a highly organised and hughly efficiant team where everyone knew their roles inside out and was a focal point and rightly wasn't judged on his goals record because he was so effective in holding the ball up.
Would Micky be as effective with this current teams woeful service to the front men??

I wasn't comparing the Morgan to Evans, merely saying that his stats from Shrewsbury in a higher league weren't that bad for a target man

When these two were signed there was a lot a positivity on here which with the benefit of a huge slice go hindsight was totally misplaced

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
argylewiseguy":29kbz1t4 said:
Without wishing to name names :silent: , I find it pretty worrying when an Argyle player thinks it acceptable to disclose to a member of the public his dissatisfaction with Sheridan's management. To me, such dissent indicates that Sheridan quite possibly has 'lost the dressing room'.

I am not writing to condemn or commend Sheridan, but when you have at least one player bitching about him behind his back with a random member of the public, it doesn't bode well. :sigh:

Other players have sung his praises. Not everyone will gel right. Don't forget Sheridan wants players to argue and question him, he wants some fight in them. None of them have the guts to approach him. If a player wants to bitch behind his back, let him - it's a poor reflection on that individual rather than Sheridan.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
argylewiseguy":ane77npf said:
Without wishing to name names :silent: , I find it pretty worrying when an Argyle player thinks it acceptable to disclose to a member of the public his dissatisfaction with Sheridan's management. To me, such dissent indicates that Sheridan quite possibly has 'lost the dressing room'.

I am not writing to condemn or commend Sheridan, but when you have at least one player bitching about him behind his back with a random member of the public, it doesn't bode well. :sigh:

**Unfounded allegations removed by site admin**

Returning to the original point of this thread, I think JS has done an okay job this season. He has saved us by a point at the end of last season, when to be fair, we were checking out the drinking establishments around Forest Green's ground and looking forward to another trip to Aldershot :roll:. To finish this season just outside the playoffs, with, and I admit it, a LOT of deadwood players who are inconsistent at best, is no mean feat. The way the season has tailed off has set the moaners off, calling for blood. It's painful turning up to watch us unable to pass forward, to look and see our players in space, etc. The bottom line for me is that I can accept the end of the season, and JS in charge, but next season has to be promotion, nothing else will satisfy even the greenest of tints.
JS has an ideal opportunity to clear out and get in players to get us up. I'm sure he knows who he wants and probably knows what his budget is already. We could, and should be top three all through 2014/5.

Apr 3, 2013
Cerbera":wmi7qelz said:
argylewiseguy":wmi7qelz said:

Returning to the original point of this thread, I think JS has done an okay job this season. He has saved us by a point at the end of last season, when to be fair, we were checking out the drinking establishments around Forest Green's ground and looking forward to another trip to Aldershot :roll:. To finish this season just outside the playoffs, with, and I admit it, a LOT of deadwood players who are inconsistent at best, is no mean feat. The way the season has tailed off has set the moaners off, calling for blood. It's painful turning up to watch us unable to pass forward, to look and see our players in space, etc. The bottom line for me is that I can accept the end of the season, and JS in charge, but next season has to be promotion, nothing else will satisfy even the greenest of tints.
JS has an ideal opportunity to clear out and get in players to get us up. I'm sure he knows who he wants and probably knows what his budget is already. We could, and should be top three all through 2014/5.

**Reference to above quote removed by site admin**

In terms of "returning to the original point of this thread", I believe that my comments did not actually veer from it but directly engaged with the topic at hand: please see the thread's title - "Sheridan has lost the dressing room". :banghead:

May 1, 2011
Andy in Peverell":3tg1i0c1 said:
demportdave":3tg1i0c1 said:
Andy in Peverell":3tg1i0c1 said:

Boco scored 10 goals in a struggling Accrington team which on the face of it ain't to bad and would have been very welcome if he'd reproduced that for us this year

Shrewsbury fans were genuinely sorry to see Morgan leave and said that although he wasn't a consistent scorer he provided well for others and did the donkey work. Also he probably has a similar goal record to Micky Evans who's still well regarded.

Boco is a lower league nobody who has been given numerous chances to show what he can do and failed to deliver every time. A complete flop who can't even get on the pitch when we are desperate, like yesterday. He will be gone in the summer if Sheridan can find any takers,

Ditto Morgan - another waste of a shirt and to compare him to Mickey Evans... Unbelievable!

All I compared was his goal ratio at Shrewsbury which is better than Evans. Evans played in a highly organised and hughly efficiant team where everyone knew their roles inside out and was a focal point and rightly wasn't judged on his goals record because he was so effective in holding the ball up.
Would Micky be as effective with this current teams woeful service to the front men??

I wasn't comparing the Morgan to Evans, merely saying that his stats from Shrewsbury in a higher league weren't that bad for a target man

When these two were signed there was a lot a positivity on here which with the benefit of a huge slice go hindsight was totally misplaced

Again you have to question the wisdom of a PASOTI poster getting excited by signing a lower league journey man midfielder from Accrington, he is 29 this summer so hardly a hot young prospect. When Argyle let him go let's see where he ends up.

Oct 15, 2013
You could take most of the current posts on PASOTI and filter them straight in to any thread from 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 years ago and they wouldn't look out of place. The only thing different is the names being discussed. The problems are exactly the same and it's the same old things being said over and over again.

Should we change the manager? yes or no.
Should we get rid of player X? yes or no.
A few reinforcements in position X and we'll be pushing for promotion.
The wrong subs at the wrong time.
Tactics all wrong.
Players not good enough standard.

As I see it we've changed all those things multiple times over the last 6 years and in all possible combinations thereof multiplied again. It hasn't made a blind bit of difference. The team today shares the exact same characteristics as Luggy Mk2's team that slid out of the Championshiop. Can't pass, can't keep possession, hoof merchants, tactically inept manager and can't come back from going a goal behind.

In my view it's the whole structure and direction of the club that is defective. We need an executive and a management team in place that have a vision and a plan. We need to transform the style of play to modern passing football and install management, players and staff around that overarching vision. Everyone at the club has to know and understand what that vision is, including the fans. I'm a fan and I have no idea what Sheridan or Brents plans and vision are, on the pitch at least.

I get the impression at Argyle that there is no style, approach, plan or overarching vision. It seems as though each game is just hit and hope on the back of a fag packet where we just try to scrap out a win any old way we can.

Not good enough in this day and age.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
argylewiseguy":2oww5z48 said:
Cerbera":2oww5z48 said:
argylewiseguy":2oww5z48 said:

**Reference to above quote removed by site admin**

In terms of "returning to the original point of this thread", I believe that my comments did not actually veer from it but directly engaged with the topic at hand: please see the thread's title - "Sheridan has lost the dressing room". :banghead:

I humbly apologise.

And in view of the mod edit, I'll not labour the point, but it's not just my view.

As you were.

Jun 26, 2006
For what it's worth and regardless of whether the dressing room has been lost ( surely we could afford some signs Hahaha ) , the majority of us would consider that this is Sheridan's team .He has pretty much been able to bring in the players he wanted to supplement those who were already here .He ought to have known therefore at the start of the season that they were a quiet bunch and needed some tougher more argumentative more abrasive individuals in the squad but instead brought in additional just as quiet players . If I had to have an argument with Blanchard or Blizzard or Coughlin or Aljofree I know which I would prefer .
I wish he would stop trying to force square pegs into round holes . We have what we have . This is the squad which nearly did for Port Vale in the cup remember .We just seemed to have stopped playing like that . Trotman ( or Wotton or Blizzard for that matter ) would be better in back four . A back 3 worked when we switched to it because we were up against it ( Mansfield ) but in general it hasn't . We do not have the players to make that system work so play a system that suits the players we have .
If we hadn't got on the verge of the play offs the majority of us would probably have said there has been progress - slow but still progress . It is the frustration I believe from getting there and falling apart instead of pushing on that has caused a lot of the complaints on here .
John Sheridan is what he is ok . He doesn't rant and shout on the touchline . I get that . So put someone alongside him who is . Paul Sturrock was not always shouting and cajoling but Kevin Summerfield and Paul Maxwell generally were .
If you had a free hand what size squad would you propose for next season and who out of this years squad would you keep .

gaspargomez said:
Personally, I think the main problem is the quality of the players in the squad. They are 4th tier standard and no better. It doesn't matter how you manage them. If they are not good enough, they are not good enough.

A good inspirational manager will always get the last ounce of performance out of his employees, whether they be footballers, electricians, roadsweepers, etc. If Sheridan has lost the changing room it is because he can't motivate his players, criticising them in public is hardly motivational. It is a bit of a cliche, but, 'a bad worker blames his tools', and for too long he has been doing just that. Yes, he did save us from relegation last year, just, but who is to say Carl Fletcher couldn't have achieved third from bottom as well if he stayed, at least he showed some passion.

Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Bristol Rich said:
Andy in Peverell said:
demportdave said:
Andy in Peverell said:

Again you have to question the wisdom of a PASOTI poster getting excited by signing a lower league journey man midfielder from Accrington, he is 29 this summer so hardly a hot young prospect. When Argyle let him go let's see where he ends up.

He had enough about him to have Chesterfield trying to sign him last summer.

I wouldn't say I was ever excited by his signing but when the last few years have seen the likes of Lennox, Daley, PCH and Gorman on our flanks then he seemed far more experienced to the rigurs and hustle/bustle of this league and should have ( in theory anyway ) hit the ground running.
He hasn't and has looked every bit as average as his predecessors and will undoubtedly be released this summer.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
fishypilgrim":1rdlxqz1 said:
If we hadn't got on the verge of the play offs the majority of us would probably have said there has been progress - slow but still progress . It is the frustration I believe from getting there and falling apart instead of pushing on that has caused a lot of the complaints on here .
keep .
Ainā€™t that the truth.
Luggy Mk 1 used to say ā€˜ā€™my way or the highwayā€™ā€™ and JS is basically saying the same. If players want to rebel and cause a split then he will, rightly, send them on a long holiday (his words from the BBC article). If they find his managerial style abrasive or distant then they have 2 choices ā€“ stay or go. They would be wise to glance through the PFA list of players without clubs.
I also wonder on what experience some posters are discussing managerial skills. Different managers have different approaches and there is never one approach that always works. By releasing his comments to the BBC article he is now putting his reputation on the public line for next season and he deserves to at least see out the contract before he is truly judged.
Give JS a chance to finish the job. The league is so tight that we may end up in 10th or 12th place but so what? Many would have still moaned had we finished 9th but 10 points above the team in 10th. Like us last season there are fans at 7 clubs still bricking it at the thought of Forest Green, Eastleigh and even ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ Excretia :lol: (On my knees now :nworthy: praying ā€˜ā€™please Lord you owe me a favourā€™ā€™)

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Sorry Tony but Sheridan has really lost me. I agree with you that at the start of the season Iā€™d have taken a top half finish gladly (although that may not happen) ā€“ so itā€™s not to do with the results per se and itā€™s not impatience either.

Itā€™s just in my book a half-decent manager should tick at least a couple of boxes marked a) TACTICAL NOUS, b) STRATEGIC ABILITY and c) CLUB LEADERSHIP.

In terms of a) TACTICAL NOUS I think even the most pro-Sheridan fans would accept heā€™s shown very little ability to change games, react to changes by the opposition or set-up teams with a specific game plan.

But tactics are short term stuff and we could forgive that if he scores well in the STRATGIC ABILITY category. Well this one is much more debatable but what does it for me is the football it has been shocking far too often and I just cannot see what heā€™s trying to do. There is no pattern, no style and no plan that I can see. At least Fletch tried to get us to play a passing style ā€“ not often effectively but you could at least see what he wanted. We could see what Luggy wanted, what Holloway wanted, and even in the chaotic atmosphere that poor old Peter Reid operated in we could see something of what he wanted. So what is Sheridanā€™s style? Iā€™m buggered if I know. His recruitment and selections give no indication whatsoever and appear to be completely haphazard punts to me. I canā€™t help wondering if the apparent progress is down to luck as much as judgement. We consistently have less than 50% possession even in games weā€™ve won during our recent purple patch ā€“ without Reidā€™s run of form where would we be? As you say itā€™s a close league ā€“ are we just fortunate to have fallen the right side of the thin line?

Then finally what about CLUB LEADERSHIP? Well he must score almost as badly here as for tactical nous. His PR skills are poor. Itā€™s a dour ā€˜just-doing-my-jobā€™ demeanour that isnā€™t exactly inspirational and he hasnā€™t appeared to form any kind of bond with fans, club, city or region. After Hollowayā€™s antics Iā€™m not looking for another ā€˜characterā€™ and happy to have a manger that ā€˜just does a jobā€™ but apparently calling fans idiots for querying a substitution and asides about the players who ā€œwouldnā€™t be at a club like thisā€ if they had the ability heā€™d like (or words to that affect) are pretty tactless and avoidable gaffs.

So on balance I think we could do a good deal better than Sheridan ā€“ or at least try to - while we still have the luxury of taking our time.

The Doctor

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
:clap: to Ave_IT.

That post captures my own feelings on Sheridan very well too.

We have a manager who, for the last couple of weeks, has repeatedly said that he cannot explain why the form of his team has slumped. Isn't that rather admitting that he doesn't know what he is doing? If the manager of the team doesn't know what the problem is then how is he going to be able to identify suitable solutions other than by being lucky?

Sep 15, 2012
Ave_IT":1r8jwi8g said:
Sorry Tony but Sheridan has really lost me. I agree with you that at the start of the season Iā€™d have taken a top half finish gladly (although that may not happen) ā€“ so itā€™s not to do with the results per se and itā€™s not impatience either.

Itā€™s just in my book a half-decent manager should tick at least a couple of boxes marked a) TACTICAL NOUS, b) STRATEGIC ABILITY and c) CLUB LEADERSHIP.

In terms of a) TACTICAL NOUS I think even the most pro-Sheridan fans would accept heā€™s shown very little ability to change games, react to changes by the opposition or set-up teams with a specific game plan.

But tactics are short term stuff and we could forgive that if he scores well in the STRATGIC ABILITY category. Well this one is much more debatable but what does it for me is the football it has been shocking far too often and I just cannot see what heā€™s trying to do. There is no pattern, no style and no plan that I can see. At least Fletch tried to get us to play a passing style ā€“ not often effectively but you could at least see what he wanted. We could see what Luggy wanted, what Holloway wanted, and even in the chaotic atmosphere that poor old Peter Reid operated in we could see something of what he wanted. So what is Sheridanā€™s style? Iā€™m buggered if I know. His recruitment and selections give no indication whatsoever and appear to be completely haphazard punts to me. I canā€™t help wondering if the apparent progress is down to luck as much as judgement. We consistently have less than 50% possession even in games weā€™ve won during our recent purple patch ā€“ without Reidā€™s run of form where would we be? As you say itā€™s a close league ā€“ are we just fortunate to have fallen the right side of the thin line?

Then finally what about CLUB LEADERSHIP? Well he must score almost as badly here as for tactical nous. His PR skills are poor. Itā€™s a dour ā€˜just-doing-my-jobā€™ demeanour that isnā€™t exactly inspirational and he hasnā€™t appeared to form any kind of bond with fans, club, city or region. After Hollowayā€™s antics Iā€™m not looking for another ā€˜characterā€™ and happy to have a manger that ā€˜just does a jobā€™ but apparently calling fans idiots for querying a substitution and asides about the players who ā€œwouldnā€™t be at a club like thisā€ if they had the ability heā€™d like (or words to that affect) are pretty tactless and avoidable gaffs.

So on balance I think we could do a good deal better than Sheridan ā€“ or at least try to - while we still have the luxury of taking our time.

Brilliant Post Mate
my sentiments entirely
Spot on with how I feel and we should do something about it NOW or I`m
afraid next season will be much the same as this season