Sheridan has (allegedly) lost the dressing room. | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan has (allegedly) lost the dressing room.

Apr 15, 2008
London
I agree with Ave It as well... and I wouldn't have said that a month ago. The last 3 home games have been appalling, absolutely shocking. It they'd been in October or February rather than March/April Sheridan would be on very thin ice indeed.

May 1, 2011
Andy in Peverell":2qfhyy28 said:
Bristol Rich":2qfhyy28 said:
demportdave":2qfhyy28 said:
More than a tad patronising ^^^^^

Boco scored 10 goals in a struggling Accrington team which on the face of it ain't to bad and would have been very welcome if he'd reproduced that for us this year

Shrewsbury fans were genuinely sorry to see Morgan leave and said that although he wasn't a consistent scorer he provided well for others and did the donkey work. Also he probably has a similar goal record to Micky Evans who's still well regarded.
You are deluded, get the green glasses off.

Boco is a lower league nobody who has been given numerous chances to show what he can do and failed to deliver every time. A complete flop who can't even get on the pitch when we are desperate, like yesterday. He will be gone in the summer if Sheridan can find any takers,

Ditto Morgan - another waste of a shirt and to compare him to Mickey Evans... Unbelievable!

All I compared was his goal ratio at Shrewsbury which is better than Evans. Evans played in a highly organised and hughly efficiant team where everyone knew their roles inside out and was a focal point and rightly wasn't judged on his goals record because he was so effective in holding the ball up.
Would Micky be as effective with this current teams woeful service to the front men??

I wasn't comparing the Morgan to Evans, merely saying that his stats from Shrewsbury in a higher league weren't that bad for a target man

When these two were signed there was a lot a positivity on here which with the benefit of a huge slice go hindsight was totally misplaced

Again you have to question the wisdom of a PASOTI poster getting excited by signing a lower league journey man midfielder from Accrington, he is 29 this summer so hardly a hot young prospect. When Argyle let him go let's see where he ends up.

He had enough about him to have Chesterfield trying to sign him last summer.

I wouldn't say I was ever excited by his signing but when the last few years have seen the likes of Lennox, Daley, PCH and Gorman on our flanks then he seemed far more experienced to the rigurs and hustle/bustle of this league and should have ( in theory anyway ) hit the ground running.
He hasn't and has looked every bit as average as his predecessors and will undoubtedly be released this summer.

Agreed, non league beckons for the Boco loco.

May 1, 2011
tigertony":1wccf6xk said:
fishypilgrim":1wccf6xk said:
If we hadn't got on the verge of the play offs the majority of us would probably have said there has been progress - slow but still progress . It is the frustration I believe from getting there and falling apart instead of pushing on that has caused a lot of the complaints on here .
keep .
Ain’t that the truth.
Luggy Mk 1 used to say ‘’my way or the highway’’ and JS is basically saying the same. If players want to rebel and cause a split then he will, rightly, send them on a long holiday (his words from the BBC article). If they find his managerial style abrasive or distant then they have 2 choices – stay or go. They would be wise to glance through the PFA list of players without clubs.
I also wonder on what experience some posters are discussing managerial skills. Different managers have different approaches and there is never one approach that always works. By releasing his comments to the BBC article he is now putting his reputation on the public line for next season and he deserves to at least see out the contract before he is truly judged.
Give JS a chance to finish the job. The league is so tight that we may end up in 10th or 12th place but so what? Many would have still moaned had we finished 9th but 10 points above the team in 10th. Like us last season there are fans at 7 clubs still bricking it at the thought of Forest Green, Eastleigh and even ……… Excretia :lol: (On my knees now :nworthy: praying ‘’please Lord you owe me a favour’’)

4 points from the last 21, only a few points better off then last season, we could off and should off been so much better. Don't over-estimate the job that Sheridan has done, the devil is in the detail.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
crownhillpilgrim":3buxr36c said:
I agree with Ave It as well... and I wouldn't have said that a month ago. The last 3 home games have been appalling, absolutely shocking. It they'd been in October or February rather than March/April Sheridan would be on very thin ice indeed.

Actually, the first part of the season wasn't good at all. I remember thinking right up until Christmas/New Year time that Argyle's record under Sheridan was very close to being as bad as their record under Fletcher the previous season. But then Lavery started to score and Reid found some consistency in front of goal and things improved markedly. That improvement stalled quite badly as soon as Lavery left and we only really got going again when Sheridan switched to a 3-5-2 formation after Trotman was sent off (against York?). I think this was a lucky move and that if Trotman hadn't been red-carded the tactical switch would not have been made. The improvement lasted until Alessandra was injured and from there things fell apart again. In the last few games the players do not appear to have a clue about what they are trying to do, which rather supports the view that the good patches of form have been stumbled on more by luck than by good judgement.

This chart from Greens on Screen shows this pretty well (the York game is match 30): http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/progressgraphs.asp

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
UncleBuck":3djn09jk said:
You could take most of the current posts on PASOTI and filter them straight in to any thread from 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 years ago and they wouldn't look out of place. The only thing different is the names being discussed. The problems are exactly the same and it's the same old things being said over and over again.

Should we change the manager? yes or no.
Should we get rid of player X? yes or no.
A few reinforcements in position X and we'll be pushing for promotion.
The wrong subs at the wrong time.
Tactics all wrong.
Players not good enough standard.

As I see it we've changed all those things multiple times over the last 6 years and in all possible combinations thereof multiplied again. It hasn't made a blind bit of difference. The team today shares the exact same characteristics as Luggy Mk2's team that slid out of the Championshiop. Can't pass, can't keep possession, hoof merchants, tactically inept manager and can't come back from going a goal behind.

In my view it's the whole structure and direction of the club that is defective. We need an executive and a management team in place that have a vision and a plan. We need to transform the style of play to modern passing football and install management, players and staff around that overarching vision. Everyone at the club has to know and understand what that vision is, including the fans. I'm a fan and I have no idea what Sheridan or Brents plans and vision are, on the pitch at least.

I get the impression at Argyle that there is no style, approach, plan or overarching vision. It seems as though each game is just hit and hope on the back of a fag packet where we just try to scrap out a win any old way we can.

Not good enough in this day and age.
Good post. I started a thread a year or so ago asking what the club's overall footballing knowledge/experience amounted to and sadly didn't get much of a response. Does that suggest that there isn't any? Sheridan's body language and interviews have been called into question, but does is suggest he's having to do too much on his own? Who exactly helps him and is it enough?

As for this season. I've only seen three games but I'd say they could be used as a fairly reliable barometer for how things have gone.

Fleetwood (H)
The start of the season was unbelievably, shockingly bad. The team was physically and mentally lethargic and got taken apart from an average looking Fleetwood side that barely needed to get out of first gear. At that point I really thought we'd be in for another season of struggle.

Torquay (H)
At this point things are starting to look a bit better. Form improved after the win at Mansfield and all of a sudden we're creeping into the top half of the table. Big improvement year-on-year. The team plays well but what's striking is how much of a difference Lavery makes. At this point I was hoping we'd keep hold of him as it was clear that he could've taken us places.

Exeter (H)
The league position was good. A good turnout and we were expecting the team to get revenge for the defeat at Sid James'. Oh dear. What I think we got was a performance akin to that I'd seen earlier in the season. The only thing that was really different in our approach was the formation. We were tactically all over the place and the team lacked the spirit for a fight, even though it barely needed any because Exeter were down to play rather than scrap. Absolutely killed any lingering hope I'd had of promotion because the team didn't have it in them.

To think that we've barely improved year-on-year (league position is clearly not much of an indicator) from the shocking state of affairs of last season doesn't fill me with confidence. But I think Sheridan will be manager next season regardless of what people think. I just hope he's learned a few lessons. Most importantly though I hope he can get the right players in. The fact is that during the last couple of years a lot of our players wouldn't have looked out of place in non-league so driving up the standard across the squad is essential. More important than the manager imo.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Surely this thread title should have 'allegedly' attached?

Jul 6, 2005
Andy in Peverell":294w2lpf said:
Bristol Rich":294w2lpf said:
demportdave":294w2lpf said:
More than a tad patronising ^^^^^

Boco scored 10 goals in a struggling Accrington team which on the face of it ain't to bad and would have been very welcome if he'd reproduced that for us this year

Shrewsbury fans were genuinely sorry to see Morgan leave and said that although he wasn't a consistent scorer he provided well for others and did the donkey work. Also he probably has a similar goal record to Micky Evans who's still well regarded.
You are deluded, get the green glasses off.

Boco is a lower league nobody who has been given numerous chances to show what he can do and failed to deliver every time. A complete flop who can't even get on the pitch when we are desperate, like yesterday. He will be gone in the summer if Sheridan can find any takers,

Ditto Morgan - another waste of a shirt and to compare him to Mickey Evans... Unbelievable!

All I compared was his goal ratio at Shrewsbury which is better than Evans. Evans played in a highly organised and hughly efficiant team where everyone knew their roles inside out and was a focal point and rightly wasn't judged on his goals record because he was so effective in holding the ball up.
Would Micky be as effective with this current teams woeful service to the front men??

I wasn't comparing the Morgan to Evans, merely saying that his stats from Shrewsbury in a higher league weren't that bad for a target man

When these two were signed there was a lot a positivity on here which with the benefit of a huge slice go hindsight was totally misplaced

Again you have to question the wisdom of a PASOTI poster getting excited by signing a lower league journey man midfielder from Accrington, he is 29 this summer so hardly a hot young prospect. When Argyle let him go let's see where he ends up.

He had enough about him to have Chesterfield trying to sign him last summer.

I wouldn't say I was ever excited by his signing but when the last few years have seen the likes of Lennox, Daley, PCH and Gorman on our flanks then he seemed far more experienced to the rigurs and hustle/bustle of this league and should have ( in theory anyway ) hit the ground running.
He hasn't and has looked every bit as average as his predecessors and will undoubtedly be released this summer.

Chesterfield were reported to be interested in signing him last summer.

Their Manager is Paul Cook who managed Sligo Rovers from 2007-11 until he went to Accrington and then on to Chesterfield last year.

Boco played for Sligo Rovers and Accrington between 2007 and 2013.

Granted he was a Superstar at Sligo Rovers and well-regarded at Accrington but he has proved to be a flop at HP.

We would have done better to have taken Paul Cook from Accrington.

Jan 27, 2012
If half the team don't think they are going to be playing here next season, perhaps they don't give a monkeys any more.

If you are going to be made redundant from your job, you are unlikely to put in 100% effort are you ?

I'm sure a lot of them realise that they are not good enough for L1 anyway.

Dec 2, 2010
It was interesting reading comments on the style of three of the most successful managers in English football this season - Rodgers, Dyche, Jackett - coaching abilities and attention to detail aside, there are two things that stand out in contrast to JS:

1) their empathy with the fans and the 'one team' mentality they have built up......

Pretty non-existent. JS talks about the fans but can anyone honestly say he has endeared himself to us?

2) they don't seem to agree with the approach of berating the team in public.....

Of course Argyle are not winning as much, so it may be warranted when JS is asked about the performance - he can't say it's acceptable when it clearly isn't...... but JS gives the continual impression that he is from the Glenn Hoddle 'I'm better than this lot' school of management.

I don't know what it is with JS, but when you hear the managers we have played in the last three games talking - Waddock, Flitcroft and Ardley - they all talk about tactics and how they changed the game etc in a way you just don't hear from JS.

Jul 6, 2005
Pilgrim61":2fddr6wg said:
I don't know what it is with JS, but when you hear the managers we have played in the last three games talking - Waddock, Flitcroft and Ardley - they all talk about tactics and how they changed the game etc in a way you just don't hear from JS.
That's because Sheridan's Plan A is poor and easy to counter as each of those Managers demonstrated and there is no Plan B.

Sheridan has shown time and again that he is pretty clueless and incapable of changing a game, as our inability to win a game if we concede first clearly shows. But in fairness, it is difficult to change a game when you spend most of it leaning against the dugout or slumped in the corner.

G

Greenskin

demportdave":1dk3b6pm said:
Pilgrim61":1dk3b6pm said:
That's because Sheridan's Plan A is poor and easy to counter as each of those Managers demonstrated and there is no Plan B.

Sheridan has shown time and again that he is pretty clueless and incapable of changing a game, as our inability to win a game if we concede first clearly shows. But in fairness, it is difficult to change a game when you spend most of it leaning against the dugout or slumped in the corner.

But couldn't it also "clearly show" that there is an underlying problem in the character of a team or,on a wider basis,a club? I actually can't think of too many occasions in the past five years when Argyle have come from behind to win a game,no matter who has been slumping against the dugout [although i stand to be corrected].Do you have any stats to demonstrate how many times Oldham or Chesterfield came from behind to win games under Sheridan's management? Could be an interesting and possibly revealing exercise,maybe it would confirm or reject your theory,who knows.

Jul 6, 2011
Pilgrim61":1m8ntc57 said:
It was interesting reading comments on the style of three of the most successful managers in English football this season - Rodgers, Dyche, Jackett - coaching abilities and attention to detail aside, there are two things that stand out in contrast to JS:

1) their empathy with the fans and the 'one team' mentality they have built up......

Pretty non-existent. JS talks about the fans but can anyone honestly say he has endeared himself to us?

Well I don't hate him, definitely better than Reid, Fletcher or Luggy mk 2

2) they don't seem to agree with the approach of berating the team in public.....

Of course Argyle are not winning as much, so it may be warranted when JS is asked about the performance - he can't say it's acceptable when it clearly isn't...... but JS gives the continual impression that he is from the Glenn Hoddle 'I'm better than this lot' school of management.

As a player he was far superior to anyone in our team and his record as a manager is not bad, whatever people say.

So we are accusing him of the things he didn't say?
:silent:

JS seems to be really hated by the fans. Sad really...

May 22, 2006
Sheridan won't give a damn about endearing himself to us, and neither should he. If he was the most affable, witty, down-to-earth bloke who couldn't get this team to perform, we'd still be baying for blood. If he was the most po-faced, miserable, antisocial git who had us playing exceptional football, nobody would ever mention it.
It's a meaningless embellishment to people's arguments that he shouldn't be here, something else on the periphery of relevance for people to point at, under the laughable delusion that "I just don't like the fella" is a valid, interesting or persuasive argument.

The ONLY measure by which he should be judged is his managerial skill. Unfortunately for him...I mean you don't really have to attack the guy's popularity ratings when we're having our arses handed to us by sodding Exeter, put it that way. You've got enough ducks to shoot at already.

Boco hasn't worked out, but it wasn't a bad signing at the time. He scored 10 goals in this league for an Accrington side that was poor, and he's the sort of player that you'd expect he'd play better with better players around him. Certain players will have clubs where it just won't work for them even though they've a good record everywhere else before and after: think Diego Forlan at Manchester United or Chris Sutton at Chelsea. Morgan is similar.

It's a combination of hindsight and the "we're the mighty Plymouth Argyle, how dare we be signing players from little old Accrington Stanley" mentality. We're a League Two club.

Dec 2, 2010
briangreen":1jryuqkd said:
Pilgrim61":1jryuqkd said:

Well I don't hate him, definitely better than Reid, Fletcher or Luggy mk 2

As a player he was far superior to anyone in our team and his record as a manager is not bad, whatever people say.

So we are accusing him of the things he didn't say?
:silent:

JS seems to be really hated by the fans. Sad really...

I think you're being deliberately obtuse Brian!

Hated, no....I just don't think he is a very good manager! For the last 5 or 6 games now it's been a combination of not talking, no leadership on the pitch, no winners, and now no arguing.....mmmmm.....physician heal thyself!