Sheridan in/out thread | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan in/out thread

Do we need a change of manager?

• Yes

Votes: 122 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 75 33.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 28 12.4%

• Total voters
Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
Sheridan is what he needs to be for our club. Dull and without character on or off the pitch. He can't communicate with fans and works for a club with no desire to get out of this league.

Do I like him? Never have. The Friio incident never fades from my mind.

Do i think he should go? No. We are where we are and he knows the players better than anyone else, even PASOTI readers. He may be on the cusp something our midfield can't apply. He has recruited the best keeper in the league, quality right back and two quality centre backs and one of the best strikers. If the rest click we'll get in the playoffs. If they don't I am going to the pub for a large amount of ale before every game.

Aug 11, 2013
John

We've been awful for a long long time now. I cannot remember a worse spell in all my 35 years of following Argyle. A long spell in the bottom division and unable to compete. My two kids have been following Argyle for 5 or 6 years now and have witnessed nothing but disappointment. We risk losing a generation of supporters like them at this rate.

The importance of this season is critical. We need this season to be more successful than ever. It is only with increased attendances and the income generated that we will have any chance of paying the admin payment. We could go bust again if we don't get the ground filled.

We've been patient. Very patient. You've signed player after player. You've finally signed players of the right pedigree. You've been backed to the hilt by the Chairman. We've given our support in numbers, that other clubs can only dream of, including away from home where we have the longest trips in the league. Ok we're not a natural magnet for players but we're not hamstrung by being a tiny club like Morcambe and yet we can't compete with them on the pitch. This club has a lot going for it. It's not handicapped by half the issues tiny clubs in this league are handicapped by. We have more advantages than most. So why are we so bad. Why can't we compete?

This is your third term. What's wrong? I don't hear you say what's wrong. I don't hear your proposals. All I see is another rant at the players and on to the next game. Blackball any journalist who dares question you.

John I don't expect us to walk this league. It's a tough league. Being a big club in this league is a bit of an impediment in itself as everyone wants to give the big boys a kicking, but I do expect us to be able to compete. We are not competing though.

Our performances are disjointed and inconsistent. You play too many systems. You play too many people out of position. Your substitutions have been ......... questionable.

I have to confess that your decision to stay up North has led a few of us to question your loyalty and commitment. Probably unfair but I never hear you wax lyrical about the area and the people. It feels to me as if this is just a job to you when you need to be the Mr Plymouth. Maybe you don't have the personality this club needs?

4 defeats and out of the cup by mid September is not good enough. It really isn't. I don't see anything to convince me you can change us into a side that can flirt with the playoffs. I really don't.

Prove me wrong ..... Please prove me wrong as my sanity is seriously at risk.

In fairness to Sheridan, it must be hard to work with an owner as unambitious as James (David) Brent.

Sheridan does seem tactically outclassed too often in games, but we have seen some good stuff from him and his team. While he is obviously flawed, his new signings generally look decent individually and he has got out of this league before. I have doubts he'll ever do it with us but more of the blame should lie on Brent's door than that of Sheridan. Selling Conor Hourihane for a pittance epitomised the unambitious, parochial, scared-of-success nature of the club under Brent. Officials in the club seem to revel in the fact we're a small and unsuccessful club: this idea that you have to support Argyle if you're from down here is a continuation of that. Brent is in it for the money rather than any love of Plymouth Argyle FC or football in general.

Thanks for saving us from going bust. You can go now, Mr Brent.

Jul 18, 2013
I have to agree.

The tactics tonight were absolutely baffling. On the left hand side we had McHugh and Banton. McHugh was defensively sound however will never be the type of player to overlap. Banton will never be a left winger, he always wants to cut inside, therefore an overlapping left back would be pointless anyway.

On the right dude we had Mellor and nobody else what so ever!!! The poor bloke was run ragged first half and had to cover that side all on his own, he even helped out on the left once as well. He was excellent first half.

In the middle Norburn and O'Connor offered nothing going forward and neither of them had any control of the game what so ever.

I have no idea what position Tyler Harvey was supposed to be playing in.

I found Sheridans half time substitutions bizarre as well. Purrington doesn't exactly offer much more going forward than McHugh, even if he did it wouldn't matter as Banton cuts inside anyway (see overlap problem above).

O'Connor was moved to right back and Mellor was put on the wing, it worked ok, but again we have two players out of position and O'Connor is no overlapping wing back!

We ended the game with Purrington, Allen and Harvey on the pitch at the same time, it was a bit much to ask of three young and inexperienced players to have any influence on the game to help change the result.

All in all that was like watching an unbalanced, clueless amateur team.

I also have to say that O'Connor is not the type of player I wish to see wearing an Argyle shirt. He was fouled in the first half, ran off and then collapsed in a heap. He got up two seconds later when he found out his opponent got booked though. He then immediately pushed a Wycombe player in the chest for no reason. Later in the game he gobbed off to one of their players when he had no place to do so and finally he shirked a tackle in the last few minutes - clearly a player with no heart, desire or morals.

I'm edging towards the Sheridan out camp this evening. No change, same old problems.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Tony_Flags":2zcomzd8 said:
Sheridan is what he needs to be for our club. Dull and without character on or off the pitch. He can't communicate with fans and works for a club with no desire to get out of this league.

Do i think he should go? No. We are where we are and he knows the players better than anyone else, even PASOTI readers. He may be on the cusp something our midfield can't apply. He has recruited the best keeper in the league, quality right back and two quality centre backs and one of the best strikers. If the rest click we'll get in the playoffs. If they don't I am going to the pub for a large amount of ale before every game.

This is true, yes Sheridan is not the greatest of managers but who are we likely to attract, I think we should just stick with him, and hopefully as Tony said we will get promoted come the end of the season.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
lee_wsm":3jhlpfiy said:
r4h4al":3jhlpfiy said:
You can't really say he has lost his way after 1-0 defeat, I think like any manager these days he just needs time and then I reckon we will still challenge for promotion this season, but on the other hand his tactics were terrible today against a average Wycombe side.

They are terrible most games

I wish
we were terrible and sitting in 2nd place in the table.!!

1985nhangingon

r4h4al":27wk8jmf said:
Tony_Flags":27wk8jmf said:

This is true, yes Sheridan is not the greatest of managers but who are we likely to attract, I think we should just stick with him, and hopefully as Tony said we will get promoted come the end of the season.
LMAO
Surely we an attract someone better then what we have,lets take a chance on some young manager from the Conference or something,anything is better then this clueless fool,he is taking us for mugs

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
I've checked the crystal ball. If we sack Sheridan we'd only appoint another average manager with a couple of accolades on the ol' CV. They'll have an average rest of the season and we'll continue to be just off the play offs. The new manager will get a summer of average transfers and a PR team to sell false promises. Another average season will follow, but they'll be supported as rebuilding the side and be trusted to improve the following season. There'll be a whole host of ins and outs (rubbishing the idea that we're building upon the previous year) and we'll have an indifferent start to the season. Fan frustrations will grow and pressure will be increased. Another dismissal, rinse and repeat.

The issue stems from higher up. I doubt Sheridan approved the sale of Hourihane at such a pitiful price. Brent out.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The Doctor":ssfqhx83 said:
But really, back in the real world, there's no way the Board will shift Sheridan out before the end of the season when, presumably, his contract would allow this. Where would the money needed to pay him off, bring in a new manager and coaching team (most managers would want this) and give them some funds to work with come from? I just can't see Sheridan taking this team up but I think we're stuck with what we've got. I'll be delighted to be proved wrong but if I am right it won't stop me going and supporting the efforts of the team.

Well just recently we found the money to pay two managers for a year.

Whether we can do this again at this moment in time is another matter and besides Sheridan isn't going to get sacked/or spend time in his garden on the back of two bad results.

If we are well adrift of the top teams by the end of October or even November is the time when Sheridan might get worried.

May 1, 2011
r4h4al":3tjrtxvm said:
Tony_Flags":3tjrtxvm said:

What a strange post, let's stick with him and hope for the best even though there is no indication of things improving.

Dec 2, 2010
Dullard manager, doldrums club. The latter can only be shaken up by the former....John Sheridan has no passion for the club, fans or area......put Wotton in charge...at least we would have someone who cares.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
arrythewurzel":1elbnyey said:
Our performances are disjointed and inconsistent. You play too many systems. You play too many people out of position. Your substitutions have been ......... questionable.

Good post, but this is the most important bit.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep, totally agree, a Northern

I thought I'd say it first :lol: