Sheridan in/out thread | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan in/out thread

Do we need a change of manager?

• Yes

Votes: 122 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 75 33.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 28 12.4%

• Total voters
Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
MannameadGreen":2az3rtwd said:
In fairness to Sheridan, it must be hard to work with an owner as unambitious as James (David) Brent.

Sheridan does seem tactically outclassed too often in games, but we have seen some good stuff from him and his team. While he is obviously flawed, his new signings generally look decent individually and he has got out of this league before. I have doubts he'll ever do it with us but more of the blame should lie on Brent's door than that of Sheridan. Selling Conor Hourihane for a pittance epitomised the unambitious, parochial, scared-of-success nature of the club under Brent. Officials in the club seem to revel in the fact we're a small and unsuccessful club: this idea that you have to support Argyle if you're from down here is a continuation of that. Brent is in it for the money rather than any love of Plymouth Argyle FC or football in general.

Thanks for saving us from going bust. You can go now, Mr Brent.

Good post this. But of course it's nonsense cos he's got a lovely new motor with an Argyle number plate. I bet he's saving up for the "don't follow me, follow Argyle" bumper sticker.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Since we beat Morecambe 5 - 0 last season and we were apparently world beaters we've won 6 out of 22 competitive fixtures.
22, that's almost half a season.
What other manager would have it so comfortable?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I went to the 'meet the manager' do soon after he arrived here. He had the air of 'I'm the manager and you're only the fans' and seemed annoyed when anyone asked questions about tactics etc.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
spowell92":3s430oza said:
MannameadGreen":3s430oza said:
In fairness to Sheridan, it must be hard to work with an owner as unambitious as James (David) Brent.

Sheridan does seem tactically outclassed too often in games, but we have seen some good stuff from him and his team. While he is obviously flawed, his new signings generally look decent individually and he has got out of this league before. I have doubts he'll ever do it with us but more of the blame should lie on Brent's door than that of Sheridan. Selling Conor Hourihane for a pittance epitomised the unambitious, parochial, scared-of-success nature of the club under Brent. Officials in the club seem to revel in the fact we're a small and unsuccessful club: this idea that you have to support Argyle if you're from down here is a continuation of that. Brent is in it for the money rather than any love of Plymouth Argyle FC or football in general.

Good post this. But of course it's nonsense cos he's got a lovely new motor with an Argyle number plate. I bet he's saving up for the "don't follow me, follow Argyle" bumper sticker.

And there's me thinking that this thread was about the manager. Not everything at Argyle has to be a target when things go wrong on the pitch.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
How the hell is this Brent's fault?

Sheridan has had a good enough budget to build his own squad, and quite a decent squad it looks at that. If Sheridan would concentrate on our own game and making sure the players are well drilled on a formation and style which suits the players we have, we'd be ok. The problem is that the players play different formations and tactics week in, week out and haven't a clue what they are supposed to be doing or where on the pitch any of their team-mates are likely to be. It's as organised as a schoolyard kickabout.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
PL2 3DQ":7ry8a449 said:
spowell92":7ry8a449 said:
MannameadGreen":7ry8a449 said:

And there's me thinking that this thread was about the manager. Not everything at Argyle has to be a target when things go wrong on the pitch.

Indeed, I'm agreeing with Mannamead that perhaps criticism being directed at the manager is a tad harsh given the dross management sitting in the offices above him... Apologies for making a joke in the meanwhile. I'll be more to the point, Brent Out.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
GreenThing":32dvzgwx said:
arrythewurzel":32dvzgwx said:
Our performances are disjointed and inconsistent. You play too many systems. You play too many people out of position. Your substitutions have been ......... questionable.

Good post, but this is the most important bit.

Yep, of the 19 outfield players who have played this season eight have played in more than one position. You could argue that the squad is adaptable or a different point of view would say Sheridan doesn't know his best formation, best team and the best positions for the players at his disposal.

With it being so early in the season it's crazy that so many players have been played in different positions and it's also not fair on them, there's no routine or rhythm to the team.

Here's a novel idea, play the best 11 in their best positions in the same formation week after week barring suspensions and injuries.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
He certainly lost the plot with tonights team selection.

I have no idea what he was thinking or trying to do and nor did the players judging by the performance.

There was no structure or game plan and the better, more organised TEAM beat us.

We look tactically inept at times

The balance of the team is all wrong, he doesn't know his best 11 and every week we have new players and formations.

Individually I reckon we have a top 5 team for this league but as a team we are more like relegation candidates.

The buck has to stop with JS for me now. Can't imagine our Chairman tearing a strip into him tonight though

Simply not good enough JS - sort it out or get out

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
It's.a.decent squad bar the centre of midfield. It's inadequacies has lead to a great deal of tinkering to try and compensate. Sheridan is struggling to deal with this massive flaw in his squad, but the truth is Hourihane should have never have been sold or once sold Brent should have opened the wallet and boosted the budget to bring in a real replacement. Clearly the suits upstairs underestimated the importance of Conor and the difficulty of replacing him; I'll hold them responsible.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
1-0 down for the majority of the game, he brought on a left back and 2 central midfielders in response. When Cox came on for Smalley I joked that we must have been playing for the 1-0. By the looks of it we were, the manager left his one attacking option on the bench, we had a right back on the wing and the team played with zero urgency, even with 6 minutes added on we carried on with our slow stop start passing, players lingering on the ball with no idea where to go.

It's frustrating to watch especially as it's so easy to solve; you simply pick a formation and stick to the damn thing! Once it's drilled into the players, they know exactly where they need to be and exactly where their teammates will be, it's not rocket science it really isn't :banghead:

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Been thinking long and hard and think it's time to pass the baton.

Too many flashes of promise, yet too many basic mistakes from Sheridan from what is essentially a good enough squad.

I have always said this season would boil down to whether Shez's strengths would outwiegh his weaknesses. At the moment every single indication is that the weaknesses will outweigh the strengths.

As PL2 said, if we could afford to pay off Fletch/Romain/Nance so we can afford to pay off this lot. I am no James Brent aficionado as is well known on here but on this occasion I will defend him and say that he's too easy a scapegoat for brainless managerial decisions time after time.

Sheridan needs win against Hartlepool to get a stay of execution.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Nathan Thomas is not the catch-all answer to all of our problems but alternatively he is not useless either. The game was crying out for him with 25 minutes to go. But instead we bring on a River Allen a defensive minded midfielder (who I like btw and think he has a future) when we could have capitalised on a 10 minute spell we were having and bring on Nathan Thomas instead?

The mind boggles.