Stewarding in Lyndhurst Stand | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Stewarding in Lyndhurst Stand

Jan 28, 2005
I have just received a very nice reply from Dave Boobyer who asks I me not to publish it as he would like to consider the best way of progressing the resolution of the issue.

Just to be clear, I completely agree that supporters who want to leave the stadium before the final whistle should leave by the next possible exit in their direction of travel once they leave their seats. No reasonable supporter would object to that. I was referring to the way in which people were being channelled from the ground after the final whistle. In actual fact, this included some disabled supporters who were prevented from leaving the ground by the exit of their choice.

Again to be clear, supporters from one side of Block 12 were being prevented from leaving from exit 12 as this seems to be perceived as going the wrong way (i.e. towards the Barn Park End) but this is not an unreasonable direction of travel for people who are leaving Central Park through Barn Park.

But, undoubtedly, the main focus of the conflict is with people who would like to walk down the side of the ground, gazing wistfully at the pitch (or whatever we do while listening to Horst Jankowsi), rather than trying to navigate through the people who are watching TV monitors or making their way to and from the toilets under the stands. This, of course, is the way the many of us left the ground for years when it was terracing and perhaps old habits die hard. There might be some necessary stewarding when there are 20,000 in the ground but it all seems a bit heavy-handed when there are only 6,000.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
I find it rather annoying when people leave early, especially as this invariably means obstructing the views of other and spoiling their enjoyment of the game. Up in row V this isn't really an issue, but it must be incredibly frustrating for all those in the front few rows (especially those in wheelchairs).

The game lasts 90 minutes, what is wrong with waiting until the final whistle (and perhaps applauding the team off when they've played well)?

So, any measures which lessen the effect of those obstructing tbe views of others is fine by me.

That said, why they were continuing to guide people down the nearest tunnel long after the final whistle had been blown I'm not sure. That didn't quite make sense to me.

Obviously I don't condone stewards acting in a less than professional manner but I agree with the policy of preventing people walking the length of the pitch during injury time.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
Surely it's common sense, if those on the steps leading down from each block are significantly slowed by those wanting to amble along the side of the pitch then the sensible answer is for each block to leave the ground by the nearest exit.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Swillyboy":159k84iu said:
I have just received a very nice reply from Dave Boobyer who asks I me not to publish it as he would like to consider the best way of progressing the resolution of the issue.

Just to be clear, I completely agree that supporters who want to leave the stadium before the final whistle should leave by the next possible exit in their direction of travel once they leave their seats. No reasonable supporter would object to that. I was referring to the way in which people were being channelled from the ground after the final whistle. In actual fact, this included some disabled supporters who were prevented from leaving the ground by the exit of their choice.

Again to be clear, supporters from one side of Block 12 were being prevented from leaving from exit 12 as this seems to be perceived as going the wrong way (i.e. towards the Barn Park End) but this is not an unreasonable direction of travel for people who are leaving Central Park through Barn Park.

But, undoubtedly, the main focus of the conflict is with people who would like to walk down the side of the ground, gazing wistfully at the pitch (or whatever we do while listening to Horst Jankowsi), rather than trying to navigate through the people who are watching TV monitors or making their way to and from the toilets under the stands. This, of course, is the way the many of us left the ground for years when it was terracing and perhaps old habits die hard. There might be some necessary stewarding when there are 20,000 in the ground but it all seems a bit heavy-handed when there are only 6,000.

You have missed the point that has already been made on this thread.

The people from the Lyndhurst leaving by the vehicular exit obstruct those leaving from the Devonport who are left waiting on the steps for the area to clear.

Apr 22, 2013
Dead easy, if you want to leave early then accept that you will be forced to leave by the nearest exit; but, if (as seems to be the case this time) Stewards are being over zealous after the final whistle then the club needs to take appropriate action. This may be as simple as improving the pre match brief.

Dave Boobyer is a very experienced and sensible person so am sure he will sort it out- the problem(IMHO) is that the vast majority of Stewards are once a fortnight amateurs who are incapable of sensible thoughts/actions. i.e as far as I am aware they are directly employed by the club on a casual basis-the alternative is to hire a professional event security firm to do the stewarding but that would incur significant extra costs....oh I forget, we don't have spare cash. Unfortunately this means that an element of 'less desirables' end up being engaged for stewarding duties.
Hopefully DB will sort this out.

The other point is where is everyone rushing off to? I sit near the back of block 11 and it only takes about 10 mins to get out however big the crowd-just slow down a bit everyone.

xyz

Aug 5, 2012
Then why was the Steward pushing this poor guy around when he WAS trying to leave by the nearest exit??

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
lyndhurstgreen":17dok1lf said:
Dead easy, if you want to leave early then accept that you will be forced to leave by the nearest exit; but, if (as seems to be the case this time) Stewards are being over zealous after the final whistle then the club needs to take appropriate action. This may be as simple as improving the pre match brief.

Dave Boobyer is a very experienced and sensible person so am sure he will sort it out- the problem(IMHO) is that the vast majority of Stewards are once a fortnight amateurs who are incapable of sensible thoughts/actions. i.e as far as I am aware they are directly employed by the club on a casual basis-the alternative is to hire a professional event security firm to do the stewarding but that would incur significant extra costs....oh I forget, we don't have spare cash. Unfortunately this means that an element of 'less desirables' end up being engaged for stewarding duties.
Hopefully DB will sort this out.

The other point is where is everyone rushing off to? I sit near the back of block 11 and it only takes about 10 mins to get out however big the crowd-just slow down a bit everyone.

An option after the final whistle would be for the stewards to stop those leaving along the front of the stand and make them wait until the Devonport steps have cleared. Once this Devonport area is deemed safe they can then allow the Lymndhurst populus to then exit. Of course, rather than wait, they could leave by their nearest exit.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Trev501":1dcc720g said:
Surely it's common sense, if those on the steps leading down from each block are significantly slowed by those wanting to amble along the side of the pitch then the sensible answer is for each block to leave the ground by the nearest exit.

I don't have an issue on directing people to the nearest exit, but there is a problem in the way it's implemented.

The stewards block off one side of the exits, so if you come down the steps on the right side (as you come down the steps) of block 12, the nearest exit is to your left in the middle of block 12. However if you do that, the stewards will send you back to the exit in the centre f block 10.

If the stewards stood halfway between exits and directed people on their left to the exit on their left, and likewise to the right, it would make sense. The way it is set-up now, you don't know you've gone the wrong way until you get to the exit and it winds people up.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Leaving before the final whistle as a norm is a practice I find difficult to understand, apart from the disruption to those who rightly want to see the whole 90+ minutes unobstructed, why would anyone regularly take the chance of missing the final (possible) exciting moments. I think the problem stems from the inordinately lengthy time it takes to clear the car park. Today for the first time I left with 3 minutes to go, I know it is hypocritical after the preceeding sentences, but I had a 1705 appointment in Estover and the alternative to commiting the heinous crime of leaving before the whistle was not to attend, and that is unthinkable. I left by the steps to the east of block 11 and I unreservedly apologise to anyone whose view I obstructed. :hitfan:

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
Ive been going to watch Argyle for all but 20 years. Not once have I ever had a problem leaving the ground. I watch the football, hear the final whistle and make my way out the nearest exit. How people get into any issues is beyond me. Id imagine people who only care about themselves are the ones who end up getting caught up in trouble.

Sep 28, 2003
London
If you've decided to leave early, you should go out via the nearest exit.

Walking down the length of the Lyndhurst, blocking the view of our supporters in the disabled seats is a horribly selfish way to act.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Andy Holland":22cc1rfn said:
If you've decided to leave early, you should go out via the nearest exit.

Walking down the length of the Lyndhurst, blocking the view of our supporters in the disabled seats is a horribly selfish way to act.

The OP is not talking about people leaving early. The problem is AFTER the final whistle has been blown.