The disgraceful state of the ground | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The disgraceful state of the ground

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
We were told that it was a 'wall' at the start, I remember that quite clearly.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Excuse my ignorance but are these special bricks as opposed to normal house brick that have been engraved? If normal house bricks, can't an occasional low/medium power wash keep them clean and any mortar damage be rendered?

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
I was told the bricks are not load bearing so would not be suitable to build a wall. I have two bricks and despair at the weeds growing in between the bricks, saying that it matches the tip around the HHP car park.

Not carrying out maintenance on the horse shoe is penny wise pound foolish and the lack of maintenance on the pitch is a crying shame.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
IJN":hwz6e5x2 said:
We were told that it was a 'wall' at the start, I remember that quite clearly.

Ian i think we were told they would be laid in their current position and then incorporated in the proposed new grandstand.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Graham Clark":un6b23rh said:
IJN":un6b23rh said:
Graham Clark":un6b23rh said:
. This is not an issue for volunteer bucket rattling.

I truly despise that phrase Graham. Unusual for you to copy idiots rhetoric.

The phrase 'bucket rattlers' has for many years been associated with volunteer fundraising and it is an entirely appropriate phase to use in this case even though you may are unusually oversensitive to its use.

With respect Graham 'bucket rattlers/rattling' has been used for many years elsewhere to belittle the amazing fundraising that has not only been done by Ian, but by others outside of the internet world.

If you didn't mean it in a derogatory way you should have said 'volunteer fund raising.'

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
Since we rent the facility from the Council, how come they don't accept responsibility for the stadium maintenance ?
IIRC, should we return to the Championship, we have to give £500,000 pa rent ?
It seems we must be just renting the land the stadium sits on. Can the price be fair ?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I sat under a Summer Fete style canopy on Saturday, sitting on the most temporary of seats, I had a pee in a plastic Tardis and bought a Cornish Pasty from a caravan.

Both teams slugged it out and most went home very happy whether they were Gas or Green.

Just saying.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
ghost of hughie reed":2slojf69 said:
Since we rent the facility from the Council, how come they don't accept responsibility for the stadium maintenance ?
IIRC, should we return to the Championship, we have to give £500,000 pa rent ?
It seems we must be just renting the land the stadium sits on. Can the price be fair ?

I think you will find that responsibility for ground maintenance depends on the terms of the lease from Plymouth Council. If it is on F R I terms [I.E. Full Repairing and Insuring ] Argyle will be responsible for maintenance. Personally, I doubt very much whether the Council would want to get involved with painting etc.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'd be totally amazed if they were as well.

Anything structural would probably be their responsibility but other than that, it's usually the tenant that has to upkeep.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
That's a shame and a slight on the volunteer fans, backed by the AFT, who carried out a previous clean-up with great pride and enthusiasm. Surely if fans want to help out and take pride in their club it's up to them and not be labelled "bucket rattlers".

http://pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=61204

Setting aside the obvious agenda the original poster has, the maintenance of a facility surely has to be high on the list of importance? Once maintenance is neglected, it becomes more and more costly to remedy.

Whilst we are only talking about bricks and peeling paint here, you can be sure that if these areas are not being maintained, then other areas such as structure and infrastructure are also being neglected.

To my mind there can only be a couple of reasons:

There is no stadium maintenance budget, or
the budget is too low, or
the budget is not being well spent

It really is a false economy.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Perhaps, just perhaps (and I have no inside knowledge of this) more priority is given to the playing staff in an effort to go onto a league which pays more so we can spend more.

That would make some sense wouldn't it?

A leaky tap or League One.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
IJN":18vdxrd4 said:
Perhaps, just perhaps (and I have no inside knowledge of this) more priority is given to the playing staff in an effort to go onto a league which pays more so we can spend more.

Well we better make it this season then Ian.
For all our sakes.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
IJN":fn4fwbjm said:

It's not either/or though, is it Ian? I don't think there have been board meetings in which there's been a dilemma between renewing Graham Carey's contract and clearing up some weeds.

I have to say I agree with Graham on this one. It's an easy thing to get right so I don't get why they've not been cleaned, especially given the sentimental attachment there is.