The Marvin Morgan witch hunt | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Marvin Morgan witch hunt

Dec 13, 2008
plymouth
I fail to understand why any "fan" would want to shell out for a matchday ticket only to spend the entire time shouting abuse at players. I had the unpleasant experience on Saturday of having two morons sat behind me in block 10, they continued to shout and jeer Marvin Morgan from kick off to final whistle. I don't want to listen to all that negativity and I'm sure nothing good comes from it.

If someone hurled abuse at me for doing my job, well, I doubt I'd be very motivated to say the least.

I'm lucky enough to get the chance to chat to many of the players as I work in retail, and those I speak to seem to genuinely want to do well and give their all for the club.

Yes, Marvin Morgan included.

Jan 3, 2013
IJN":1oxg2gk7 said:
I'm not his greatest fan Frank, just don't like the personal disrespect some people show the bloke.
I don't rate him at the moment but never intentionally make it personal

Jul 24, 2009
esmer":x4k061gj said:
We are a League Two club with a League Two playing budget, Morgan's not a world beater but OK at this level. Also, bear in mind his injury and illness problems last season (he might be a world beater after all)
Agreed, and unlike some of our squad he has a track record of consistently performing at league two level over more than a season or two. He had last season ruined by injury, I accept you can't pick players forever without them justifying it on the pitch, but I would say it is worth giving him a bit of time this season before writing him off completely.

Also, fans pay their money and have to some extent the right to criticise, but jumping on a players back too quickly including during pre-season is pretty counter productive and unimpressive.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Biggs":ydiw9879 said:
X Isle":ydiw9879 said:
Hang on, I've just twigged, he was the chump going waaay over the top and completely out of proportion at Pompey wasn't he.

I stand firmly by my earlier comment, if you can't take it, don't give it and BOY was he giving it. Might be good for his health to calm the f**k down too.

Just twigged who it is too. I was stood near him at AFC Wimbledon and I'm surprised he didn't burst a blood vessel. Constant and over the top moaning and near-abuse of the players/manager, which they could absolutely hear because he was in the front row. Needless to say, he fell out with everyone around him.

Also had a quick look at his twitter (not a stalker, honest...) and the first pic I saw was one of Conor Hourihane in a Barnsley shirt titled with the most derogatory four letter word.

Marvin Morgan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pie Face

Just twigged who it is too, he used to work in McDonalds I think, don't know if he still does. Yeah he's always shouting uneducated rubbish it really is uncalled for, he thinks he's funny but it's not my cup of tea.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Yes can we not just all sit there and give polite applause and a chant of "Nevermind you Greens" when the passing is wayward or the defence is sloppy! :scarf: how's about it fellas?

I am joking of course, Marvin Morgan has been rubbish for us and footballers will expect frustration and anger to be vented at them when they perform as such. Provided it's not overtly offensive, abusive or personal then there's no harm. It's a passionate game and there are passionate supporters who show that in different ways. Morgan is a donkey of a footballer from my misfortune of watching him, but he seems an alright bloke and a good businessman.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Sam, I've seem some poo in my time, I remember Peter Distin coming off when we were mullered by ECFC. He thought it right to coming off smiling and talking to the opposition, he got an earful I can tell you.

However, popping at the bloke on the internet or booing every time he gets the ball is not the same thing is it?

Let's not do the 'I don't want football sanitised' crap whatever you do, I went to football when you felt privileged to get out without a dart in your head. :greensmile:

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
I won't disagree that it can be OTT from certain individuals and I'm not condoning that. But I can't agree with the extreme of the opposite side either; to praise no matter what. Football is generally where a lot of people let their hair down on a Saturday after a hard week of work. The Lee Cox quote I posted earlier sums it up for me, if you can't take criticism then you shouldn't be a footballer, because at some point you're going to receive it. As long as it doesn't turn vile and into hate attacks towards a player then all's good to me. I won't necessarily give it, but I won't condemn those that do. All within reason I guess and I think for the large majority of the time it is.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Who the hell has suggested to praise no matter what?

I don't think we've had a footballer like that in green for about 8/9 years. Norris could do no wrong in my eyes. :greensmile:

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
The biggest thing that winds me up about Marvin Morgan is the fact that his 'ego' appears to totally eclipse his playing ability. I've never met him but on Twitter he comes across arrogant and self-obsessed. Even yesterday before the game he replied to somebody threatening to smash the ball at their head during the match when they made a joke on Twitter, which he wasn't even mentioned in. The same happened with Pie Face, I'm pretty sure he never actually contacted him with the tweet by MM saw it and gave some back. Surely a bit far as it was only a fan airing their opinion without even mentioning him?

He's probably one of our highest earners and not only is it frustrating that he rarely justifies it he goes and Tweets like an idiot too. Giving him a two year contract may turn out to be one of Sheridan's biggest mistakes as MM defiantly looks like he will steal another years wage over the next year before retiring to focus on his business which, although its far from my taste, looks like is doing quite well for him.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to prove me wrong and have a brilliant season but I can't see it.

As a side note I'm also interested in what role he will play this season, seeing as he started at Truro with the reserves and then against Swansea? :lol:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Sam Barker":g6y4b6rj said:
The biggest thing that winds me up about Marvin Morgan is the fact that his 'ego' appears to totally eclipse his playing ability. I've never met him but on Twitter he comes across arrogant and self-obsessed. Even yesterday before the game he replied to somebody threatening to smash the ball at their head during the match when they made a joke on Twitter, which he wasn't even mentioned in. The same happened with Pie Face, I'm pretty sure he never actually contacted him with the tweet by MM saw it and gave some back. Surely a bit far as it was only a fan airing their opinion without even mentioning him?

He's probably one of our highest earners and not only is it frustrating that he rarely justifies it he goes and Tweets like an idiot too. Giving him a two year contract may turn out to be one of Sheridan's biggest mistakes as MM defiantly looks like he will steal another years wage over the next year before retiring to focus on his business which, although its far from my taste, looks like is doing quite well for him.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to prove me wrong and have a brilliant season but I can't see it.

As a side note I'm also interested in what role he will play this season, seeing as he started at Truro with the reserves and then against Swansea? :lol:

Well .... looks like he'll play a starting role then!! :scarf:

C

Connor Clarke

Sam Barker":1a0325rc said:

:iagree:

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
IJN":1qlvndtd said:
Someone said to me last week 'If the bloke cared as much for Argyle as he seems to for his clothing company then we'd have a better player'. Perhaps that's a valid point.
ian,i think nikk said this as well or something similar after the tavistock match

Cobi Budge.":2q8zzl8l said:
Iif Morgan is getting stick for his performance yesterday, then Reid should be getting shedloads?

Neither should be in my opinion, but I think that just shows that if the player is a fans favourite, they avoid criticism, but if you are the fan scapegoat, it doesn't matter what you do. Morgan has had a better pre season than Reid.
Nah, not for me.

Morgan had a decent game by his standards yesterday, mostly when he was moved to the left-wing (which I actually preferred previously, too weak to win headers against most centre-halves). Morgan gets more stick than Reid because most of our fans have seen generally that Reid is a much, much better player than Morgan.

Reid hasn't had a good pre-season, but Morgan has been generally worse. Against Tavistock and Torquay, which I attended, Morgan looked genuinely terrible and completely out of his depth with no discernable football ability. He was, by all accounts, dreadful against Weymouth too. Did you attend either of those games, Cobi?

For me, he's one of two senior professionals here who isn't good enough to play much of a role.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
I've rarely had a chance to be at Home Park to see him in action, and when I have visited the ground Marvin hasn't been playing. So therefore my opinion of Morgan can only be on what I've seen on TV, heard from others, or made my own judgement of his character through his tweets.

Yes, it does seem he is more interested in his clothing company than playing for Argyle, and as a supporter this is disappointing as, even though I doubt he is a top earner I'm pretty sure he isn't one of the smaller earners either. Him being on the wage bill could well be a big hinderance to Sheridan this season and our Promotion hopes if Marvin doesn't have a good season, and to be fair it HAS to be a GOOD season, not a decent season but a GOOD season because if he doesn't then I sincerely doubt he'll get another chance to cut it at this level of football.

Regarding the 'witch-hunt'; from my point of view it was started because a few younger Argyle fans targeted him for abuse and to be fair Marvin only retaliated when it had been going on for a while and most likely lost his temper. However since then, I can't condone what he has said back to these fans and I feel we're getting ever closer to a Danny Coles Twitter incident eventually.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Marvin had recieved motivational tweets rather than abusive ones. Would the motivational tweets of 'You'll get them next time Marv' & 'Chin up, at least you got yourself into some good positions today, it won't be long before you hit the back of the net again' have been more effective?