The Marvin Morgan witch hunt | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Marvin Morgan witch hunt

P

pafcstafford

It's preseason it's nothing more than fitness and abit of shape work, for everyone to get an understanding of how their going to set up its doesn't matter if we loose to Tavistock or if we beat Chelsea. I think mm might do well this year now it didn't take him long to get his first goal last year and hopefully injury won't repeat.

Oct 28, 2011
I reckon chanting Morgans name at matches will increase the likelihood of him scoring. Also promoting the good name of Marvin Morgan will increase his confidence.

Positive reinforcement and a positive label will more likely lead to a self fulfilling prophecy.

You can do it Marvin. :clap:

Jan 26, 2013
Plymouth
I actually thought at the start of last season MM was one of our better performers, was having a genuine impact on games and putting himself about. Unfortunately after the injury he contributed near to nothing, but I still remain hopeful he can have a decent season. The only friendly I've attended so far was the Swansea game but I'm happy to believe reports of him being dreadful in all the other games. I also believe that those kind of friendlies count for not much at all.

The comparison of how Reid and Morgan performed against Swansea is also incredibly unfair too. Morgan probably did do more but that's only because all of our long balls were being directed his way. For what it's worth we probably should have played 3 in midfield all game against Swansea because the strikers were always going to be isolated with the way Swansea play, so having 2 up front just seemed a waste of a player. So what I'm trying to say really is give Marv a chance when the actual season starts, and hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised!

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
I find it amusing that MM Googles his own name and blocks anyone from following him on Twitter if they have been less than fawning or complimentary about him.

The arrogance of that alone leads me to dislike him.

BSH

Jul 7, 2013
As I see it fans are entitled to have opinions on the players they pay to watch. However criticising a players ability in the pub with mates is a lot different to going out of your way to tag them in a tweet. It's not even as if its constructive most of the time, just abuse. Whats the point? Even if you're a fan who has paid their money do you really think this will help the player and motivate them to improve? Of course it won't, it hinders rather than helps the player and the rest of the team (see Banton replying to abuse about Morgan.)

Personally I don't rate Morgan at all but I really don't see what hounding him is going to do beyond make his performances worse and annoy his close mates in the team.

Can we not just save all our abuse for Exeter please?

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
BSH":2r8i6evj said:
As I see it fans are entitled to have opinions on the players they pay to watch. However criticising a players ability in the pub with mates is a lot different to going out of your way to tag them in a tweet. It's not even as if its constructive most of the time, just abuse. Whats the point? Even if you're a fan who has paid their money do you really think this will help the player and motivate them to improve? Of course it won't, it hinders rather than helps the player and the rest of the team (see Banton replying to abuse about Morgan.)

Personally I don't rate Morgan at all but I really don't see what hounding him is going to do beyond make his performances worse and annoy his close mates in the team.

Can we not just save all our abuse for Exeter please?

This. But also see my post above. Anyone conceited enough to Google their own name and 'sanitise' their following isn't right.
If you don't want the open access of Twitter/Facebook, etc then don't sign up.

Mar 1, 2014
Ilfracombe, Devon
I've never met the guy, so I can't comment on him as a person, but I just don't rate him as a footballer compared to the rest of our squad.

Saying that, I'd like to see him prove me wrong and if he gets into double figures this season then I'll happily admit that I was wrong about him :thumbup:
I just wish Morgan would jump more...He's both tall and strong, and someone like that could be a real asset if he can get his head on a few more crosses! :scarf:

xyz

Aug 5, 2012
Cobi Budge.":i8v6386s said:
Can it stop? :yawn:

It seems as if 90% of the fan base has already decided that Morgan will be the scapegoat when things go wrong.

From the first whistle yesterday, fans in the Lyndhurst seemed to be against him, and ironically cheering (in a Chadwick style) when he won a header isn't going to do much for the guy's confidence is it?

I, for one, thought he was one of our better players yesterday. Battled hard against top CB's, but he was actually better when moved out wide, I dare say he was more effective than Thomas. Playing against Angel Rangel is no easy feat, and Morgan managed to beat him on a few occasions and make his way in to the box.

Last season, at the start, Morgan had no service as we were playing Alessandra and Boco as our out and out wingers, his season was massively disrupted by a serious injury, and he was never going to be very fit when he came back in to it, and he was only getting 5 minutes here and there.

Morgan never really had much of a chance last season therefore to slate him for only getting 1 goal is really quite silly.

Yet, ever since the Tavistock game, people have been getting on his back.

Not nessecarily a dig at Reid, but, while not amazing, Morgan has had a better pre season than Reid, who has been very under par, but nobody will say a word about Reid (not that they really should), while Morgan is public enemy number 1.

There's a good player in Morgan and he's a good option, give the guy a break.

Prove them wrong Marv! :thumbup:

For once Cobi I actually agree with you.. :shock:

I'd like nothing more than for big Marv to knock in a few goals, I dont get why "fans" would vocally slag off their own players, hardly "supporting" is it?
He had a really good game against Swansea and no doubt want's to prove himself aswell. Why don't people give the guy a break? Twitter has been full of insults being flung at him for past couple of months, if people insist on moaning at their own players, I dont see Reid putting in a shift, he's done absolutely NOTHING pre season and I forgot he was on the pitch against Swansea.

xyz

Aug 5, 2012
Jasa":kp9oofqd said:
My dislike is his arrogance and abuse at the image of one of our biggest fans who attends every single week home and away. If he is going to be arrogant enough to abuse the way people look, he needs to footballing ability to match. Don't get me wrong he doesn't deserve abuse and I wouldn't abuse the guy, I just lost all respect for him that day.

And that makes him one of our biggest fans?? Whilst I go to every home game, I can't AFFORD to go to every away game, its called having a mortgage, bills to pay etc. If I didnt have any of those things I would also be going to every away game, as would many people that I know! :doh:

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
:lol:

Criticises fans for criticising players. Proceeds to criticise a player... Couldn't make it up. People have their opinions, there is no witch hunt. How they go about voicing those opinions is what's questionable here and it does get OTT from some, but in general I don't believe its any worse than a lot of other clubs. At least Marv hasn't wished us all dead, so no one has clearly got to him too much yet. :roll:

So it's alright to moan at the guy who scored 20 goals last season because he was anonymous against a Premier League team against whom we played a style he didn't suit, but it's not okay to criticise the bloke who barely looked like a footballer all of last season against League Two opposition?

Marvin Morgan had a half-decent game on Sunday. But one swallow does not a summer make. I'd like him to have a good season and prove me wrong but I'd be VERY surprised.

I don't dislike him because of anything he's said on social media. I just don't think he's even half-decent at what we pay him to do.

Dec 2, 2005
London
Cerbera":pv3urgir said:
I find it amusing that MM Googles his own name and blocks anyone from following him on Twitter if they have been less than fawning or complimentary about him.

The arrogance of that alone leads me to dislike him.

If my notifications on twitter were clogged up with lazy teenagers sending uncreative abuse with their limited vocabulary I would block them all.

I am not sure when it became socially acceptable to go out of your way to tell someone "you're sh*te" but it was a sad, sad day for the human race. I can forgive shouting something at a match out of frustration - we've all done that. But going home, firing up the computer, logging in, searching the player's name and then typing "your sh*te"...pathetic.

C

Cobi Budge.

xyz":3g48831t said:
Cobi Budge.":3g48831t said:
Can it stop?

It seems as if 90% of the fan base has already decided that Morgan will be the scapegoat when things go wrong.

From the first whistle yesterday, fans in the Lyndhurst seemed to be against him, and ironically cheering (in a Chadwick style) when he won a header isn't going to do much for the guy's confidence is it?

I, for one, thought he was one of our better players yesterday. Battled hard against top CB's, but he was actually better when moved out wide, I dare say he was more effective than Thomas. Playing against Angel Rangel is no easy feat, and Morgan managed to beat him on a few occasions and make his way in to the box.

Last season, at the start, Morgan had no service as we were playing Alessandra and Boco as our out and out wingers, his season was massively disrupted by a serious injury, and he was never going to be very fit when he came back in to it, and he was only getting 5 minutes here and there.

Morgan never really had much of a chance last season therefore to slate him for only getting 1 goal is really quite silly.

Yet, ever since the Tavistock game, people have been getting on his back.

Not nessecarily a dig at Reid, but, while not amazing, Morgan has had a better pre season than Reid, who has been very under par, but nobody will say a word about Reid (not that they really should), while Morgan is public enemy number 1.

There's a good player in Morgan and he's a good option, give the guy a break.

Prove them wrong Marv! :thumbup:

For once Cobi I actually agree with you.. :shock:

I'd like nothing more than for big Marv to knock in a few goals, I dont get why "fans" would vocally slag off their own players, hardly "supporting" is it?
He had a really good game against Swansea and no doubt want's to prove himself aswell. Why don't people give the guy a break? Twitter has been full of insults being flung at him for past couple of months, if people insist on moaning at their own players, I dont see Reid putting in a shift, he's done absolutely NOTHING pre season and I forgot he was on the pitch against Swansea.

:jumpforjoy:

...I won't get use to it though ;)