Who drops. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who drops.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Greenford":3o6mnh4g said:
paranoid android 123":3o6mnh4g said:
At Wimbledon, Hartley probably suits playing the physicality of Akinfenwa better. After that?
Personally I think Mchugh would suit the physicality of Akinfenwa rather than Hartley

Are you sure? McHugh is not taller than Hartley, not stronger than Hartley and not as good a leader as Hartley. In fact.... he's not as good as Hartley.

The centre-back pairing will be Nelson and Hartley - if we need a right-back we need a right back not weaken two positions for the want of getting someone else in.

Jun 18, 2015
Mark Pedlar":1i0p2j8j said:
Greenford":1i0p2j8j said:
paranoid android 123":1i0p2j8j said:
At Wimbledon, Hartley probably suits playing the physicality of Akinfenwa better. After that?
Personally I think Mchugh would suit the physicality of Akinfenwa rather than Hartley

Are you sure? McHugh is not taller than Hartley, not stronger than Hartley and not as good a leader as Hartley. In fact.... he's not as good as Hartley.

The centre-back pairing will be Nelson and Hartley - if we need a right-back we need a right back not weaken two positions for the want of getting someone else in.
I like Hartley dont get me wrong I think hes a great centre back he might be a better leader and taller but I would say McHugh is stronger than Hartley. Either way it is a great dilemma to have 3 capable center backs whoever he chooses I think will do a great job. Whilst I would want Mchugh to play I have a feeling that it will be Hartley and Nelson as the center back pairing.

Jun 8, 2014
Mark Pedlar":1cxf5t8l said:
Greenford":1cxf5t8l said:
paranoid android 123":1cxf5t8l said:

Well height has very little to do with it, Akinfenwa's not exactly huge in terms of his height, plus we've never really seen McHugh or Hartley in a physical battle so there's no real way we can be sure which of them is stronger. Hartley may be the better communicator but McHug is arguably more comfortable on the ball, his distribution for one is a mile better, and I think I've seen enough to suggest he's at least as good as Hartley in the tackle as well.

At the end of the day we have three fantastic centre backs, but agree that if the right back isn't good enough (I still sort of rate Mellor, but patience is wavering) then we need a right back, not a centre back played at right back. Just because Nelse is a bit quicker than a few centre backs it doesn't mean he makes a good full back (though having said that he would be better than McHugh at left back or Blanchard at right back).

S

Sam Phillips

Fwiw my starting XI for Wimbledon:

McCormick
Mellor
Nelson
Hartley
Sawyer
Simpson
Boateng
Carey
Jervis
Reid
Wylde

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Quintrell_Green":25a58kbh said:
Should Mellor continue to be a bit 'iffy' with his form, then I can see Nelson playing there, resulting in Hartley and McHugh being the CBs.

This for me. Nelson's crossing isn't great but he has the pace and energy to be a good full-back both attackingly and defensively.

--------------------------McCormick-------------------------------

------Nelson-------McHugh--------Hartley--------Sawyer--------

-------------------------Cox/Boateng------------------------------

-----------Simpson/Boateng---------Carey-----------------------

---------Jervis-------------Harvey---------------Wylde-----------

Subs: Bittner, Mellor, Purrington, Cox/Simpson, Hall, Reid, Brunt.

Reid for Harvey and Jervis moved central with Reid on the right when he's back to full fitness.

Jun 18, 2015
I dont know what to think of Mellor right now. I thought for the first half of last season until his injury he was playing great but he has been extremely poor since and it seems to have continued into pre season. From what I read it seems he has been the weak link in pre season and I would like to see us get a right back on loan for competition in case Mellor continues playing poo. I always feel its vital to have at least two players for each position and Mellor is our only right back so would certainly help him to know he isnt guaranteed a starting place just like with any other player.

Mar 23, 2008
Mark Pedlar":1s6pe3ti said:
Greenford":1s6pe3ti said:
paranoid android 123":1s6pe3ti said:

Hartley is a better leader than McHugh but McHugh is our best centre half. The irony is as it stands Nelse is the weakest of the three but as captain and right footed, he will play.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Deacster":15dxcfmn said:
Mark Pedlar":15dxcfmn said:
Greenford":15dxcfmn said:
paranoid android 123":15dxcfmn said:

Hartley is a better leader than McHugh but McHugh is our best centre half. The irony is as it stands Nelse is the weakest of the three but as captain and right footed, he will play.

Can't agree with that, Nelson is a better Centre-back than both the two lefties and he has been tried and found wanting at right-back. McHugh is a good centre-back and can fill a hole in midfield or at left-back if needed but he wouldn't make the current first 11 as either a centre-back, left-back or midfielder so, good as he is, he won't be selected to start. Good back-up to have on the bench.

Jul 2, 2014
I will not be surprised to see McHugh drop back into CB and Nelson move out right with Mellor going to the bench for a preseason game. Adams has mentioned looking for a defender on loan - definitely a Right Back in my view because of Mellors inconsistency

Jul 6, 2011
Mdgreener":mtdp1ki0 said:
I will not be surprised to see McHugh drop back into CB and Nelson move out right with Mellor going to the bench for a preseason game. Adams has mentioned looking for a defender on loan - definitely a Right Back in my view because of Mellors inconsistency

Always wondered why Crewe Alexandra would release such a talented player as Mellor, but his lack of consistency let's him down, which is a heck of a shame because on his day he's one of the best overlapping right backs.

Mar 23, 2008
Mark Pedlar":yqj76aj1 said:
Deacster":yqj76aj1 said:
Mark Pedlar":yqj76aj1 said:
Greenford":yqj76aj1 said:
paranoid android 123":yqj76aj1 said:

Can't agree with that, Nelson is a better Centre-back than both the two lefties and he has been tried and found wanting at right-back. McHugh is a good centre-back and can fill a hole in midfield or at left-back if needed but he wouldn't make the current first 11 as either a centre-back, left-back or midfielder so, good as he is, he won't be selected to start. Good back-up to have on the bench.
McHugh is better than good, he's as good as you'll get for league 2. Good discussion to have as all three would walk into most teams in this league but McHugh is the standout.

G

greengiant1886

I feel that the manager has already chosen to have Hartley/Nelson as a centre back partnership. McHugh in my opinion is the best centre back that we have and could play in league 1.

Of course it is true that Hartley is the best organiser, but he is not as good at defending as the other two. Hartley is always susceptible to mistakes and an occasional lapse in concentration. McHugh is the one who is good with his feet, wins his headers, has a sprinkling of pace and can actually pass a ball.

I just feel that not playing McHugh will mean that he will get frustrated and then leave at the end of the year. If that is the case, I think that we will regret that a lot more because McHugh could be a top league one player or even a championship player in the future.