Who drops. | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who drops.

Nov 22, 2006
Mark Pedlar":jfrltip0 said:
Molton green 1989":jfrltip0 said:
Whi was the strangest signing?

Harvey

100 % agree said it before and I'll say it again, I really dont see what others see in him and was surprised when he was offered a new deal :roll:

And where I think Jervis and Brunt will more than cover for Alessandra's share of the goals, I can't see how either should be in the team before Reuben, good pre season for both so far but either in the first 11 instead of Reid :crazy:

Feb 21, 2011
Quintrell_Green":10qy6r7l said:
Should Mellor continue to be a bit 'iffy' with his form, then I can see Nelson playing there, resulting in Hartley and McHugh being the CBs.
Agreed, been saying this for a while, actually think Nelson could play a lot higher up the leagues as a right back than he could as a centre half, strong, quick and decent in the air but not big enough to cope with strikers at the top level in the middle of the park, at league two level however he's more than capable.

Feb 21, 2011
briangreen":23uj478g said:
greenwelly":23uj478g said:
Mdgreener":23uj478g said:
I think that Tyler Harvey is actually in a very tight spot. As a striker, he is not edging out Jervis, Reid or Brunt as a starter up top. With Rooney coming on, he has even more competition. He needs experience as a regular starter - a run of 10-15 games. I suspect that he may be best served by loan for 3-6 months to somewhere where he can be a starter. Put in an emergency recall clause in case one of our three starters is injured and we need the cover. But he will not advance unless he get playing time.
jimsing":23uj478g said:
You are right, he will be down the list, but he will be able to take advantage of playing for the reserves in the Peninsula League, when not on the bench, of course.
Yes, he can play for the reserves in the Peninsula League, but I feel this would not be as useful to his progress as a decent loan period where he would get regular game time. However, I do agree with the recall idea.

I'm just wondering how good Brunt will be this season against league opposition, hopefully he will maintain his present rate, but I don't think anyone should underrate Harvey's ability to rise to the occasion or rise up the pecking order for that matter.
With regard to Brunt Elburton villa and tavvy are a far cry from league two opposition I saw very little in him last season to think he will be anywhere near as prolific as Reid, hopefully I'm wrong but personally I can see him being no more than the last fifteen minute sub option as he was last season.

Feb 21, 2011
Gloucester Green":1gtt010i said:
Brunt is a centre forward not a striker so will never be as prolific as Reid

And there's me thinking the primary purpose of a centre forward is to score goals, Brunt will not be as prolific as Reid because he's not as good as Reid. Decent centre forwards score and create goals Brunt is yet to do that at league 2 level on a consistent basis, hopefully this season he will put that right and score 20+ like Reid.

Jul 6, 2011
Green Giant":3m2kfayq said:
Mark Pedlar":3m2kfayq said:
Molton green 1989":3m2kfayq said:

Harvey

100 % agree said it before and I'll say it again, I really dont see what others see in him and was surprised when he was offered a new deal :roll:

And where I think Jervis and Brunt will more than cover for Alessandra's share of the goals, I can't see how either should be in the team before Reuben, good pre season for both so far but either in the first 11 instead of Reid :crazy:

Thinking about harvey, who's to say that he wouldn't have scored goals against Elburton or Bideford given a proper opportunity.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I think it was the correct decision to give him a one year deal. However, he is going to have to make an impact this season

Feb 21, 2011
Emu":4xn2iy36 said:
I think it was the correct decision to give him a one year deal. However, he is going to have to make an impact this season
Which he will find hard to do if he never gets more than five minutes off the bench as with the last manager. You're right though big year for Tyler needs to get himself in that starting X1 somehow.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
briangreen":hek520jn said:
Green Giant":hek520jn said:
Mark Pedlar":hek520jn said:
Molton green 1989":hek520jn said:

Harvey

Thinking about harvey, who's to say that he wouldn't have scored goals against Elburton or Bideford given a proper opportunity.

Presumably the doctor as he was injured for both games as I recall :greensmile:

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
BadBoy":15cc78bb said:
Gloucester Green":15cc78bb said:

And there's me thinking the primary purpose of a centre forward is to score goals, Brunt will not be as prolific as Reid because he's not as good as Reid. Decent centre forwards score and create goals Brunt is yet to do that at league 2 level on a consistent basis, hopefully this season he will put that right and score 20+ like Reid.

It's not, the centre forward is a link up man for the striker to play off of, the centre forward is usually bigger, more adept at holding up the ball, getting the ball down and working just outside of the area looking to feed a goalscorer opportunties within the box.

I agree with the rest of the post though, Reid is a far better player than Brunt, that's no criticsm of Brunt, Reid is simply that good. His focus isn't scoring goals though, he will act as a target man/centre forward predominantly because of his height. The thing about Reuben is he can do both jobs well himself, he's big and powerful but at the same time has the awareness and eye for goal to be a striker as well.

Gloucester Green

Cream First
♣️ Shire Greens
Sep 18, 2010
Gloucester
Ollieargyle9":sijt10vx said:
BadBoy":sijt10vx said:
Gloucester Green":sijt10vx said:

It's not, the centre forward is a link up man for the striker to play off of, the centre forward is usually bigger, more adept at holding up the ball, getting the ball down and working just outside of the area looking to feed a goalscorer opportunties within the box.

I agree with the rest of the post though, Reid is a far better player than Brunt, that's no criticsm of Brunt, Reid is simply that good. His focus isn't scoring goals though, he will act as a target man/centre forward predominantly because of his height. The thing about Reuben is he can do both jobs well himself, he's big and powerful but at the same time has the awareness and eye for goal to be a striker as well.

Glad my point was understood by someone. If Reid put more effort in when the chips are down he'd be my first choice but he is whinging child on more occasions than a man standing his ground

Jun 8, 2014
How on earth do you know that? One pairing has played much more than the other anyway, that's not even getting into the fact that Reid is simply a better striker anyway. As with Ollie, it's not that Brunt is bad at all, it's just Reid is THAT good. On his day (which isn't that rare when fit) he is, in my mind, basically the best striker in the league.