Who drops. | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who drops.

Jun 11, 2012
---------- McCormick ----------
Mellor - Nelson - Hartley - Sawyer
----------- Boateng -----------
------- Simpson - Carey --------
Jervis ------------------- Wylde
------------ Reid ------------

I'm happy for Cox to be a squad player. Not so for McHugh to be, as I think he's a quality player, but Hartley suits a back four more in my opinion.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
It would be a shame to see one of Nelson, Hartley or McHugh dropped. I wouldn't be totally against Nelson playing RB.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
So if you've three decent centre forwards 'fighting' for two forward roles it's great, but the same in defence is problematic?

Seems odd.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
The fact of it is that none of us knows what our best CB partnership is as we've only ever seen Nelson-Hartley in a back 4 (correct me if I'm wrong). That makes it hard to judge whether a Nelson-McHugh or a McHugh-Hartley pairing would be any better.

If I had to pick one to drop on an individual basis I would drop Nelson, but it's not as easy as that. Different parnterships may or may not work (as well as considering the partnership with the adjacent fullback) - only experimentation will tell, and now, in training and friendlies, is the time to do it.

It isn't half good to have this "problem" though.

Jul 2, 2014
I think that Tyler Harvey is actually in a very tight spot. As a striker, he is not edging out Jervis, Reid or Brunt as a starter up top. With Rooney coming on, he has even more competition. He needs experience as a regular starter - a run of 10-15 games. I suspect that he may be best served by loan for 3-6 months to somewhere where he can be a starter. Put in an emergency recall clause in case one of our three starters is injured and we need the cover. But he will not advance unless he get playing time.

Feb 8, 2005
You are right, he will be down the list, but he will be able to take advantage of playing for the reserves in the Peninsula League, when not on the bench, of course.

Sep 8, 2013
Mdgreener":1kxjryo1 said:
I think that Tyler Harvey is actually in a very tight spot. As a striker, he is not edging out Jervis, Reid or Brunt as a starter up top. With Rooney coming on, he has even more competition. He needs experience as a regular starter - a run of 10-15 games. I suspect that he may be best served by loan for 3-6 months to somewhere where he can be a starter. Put in an emergency recall clause in case one of our three starters is injured and we need the cover. But he will not advance unless he get playing time.
jimsing":1kxjryo1 said:
You are right, he will be down the list, but he will be able to take advantage of playing for the reserves in the Peninsula League, when not on the bench, of course.
Yes, he can play for the reserves in the Peninsula League, but I feel this would not be as useful to his progress as a decent loan period where he would get regular game time. However, I do agree with the recall idea.

Jul 6, 2011
greenwelly":2guofd02 said:
Mdgreener":2guofd02 said:
jimsing":2guofd02 said:
Yes, he can play for the reserves in the Peninsula League, but I feel this would not be as useful to his progress as a decent loan period where he would get regular game time. However, I do agree with the recall idea.

I'm just wondering how good Brunt will be this season against league opposition, hopefully he will maintain his present rate, but I don't think anyone should underrate Harvey's ability to rise to the occasion or rise up the pecking order for that matter.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Mdgreener":1efh39nk said:

Cover for Carey? Perhaps Shezza was right!

Strangest signing of the summer IMHO. Waste of a wage from Argyle's perspective, no obvious role from his.