Would you swop Sheridan for Tisdale? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Would you swop Sheridan for Tisdale?

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
GreenSam":e9eewi6n said:
He won't have finished higher than Sheridan but that's like expecting Crystal Palace to come above Everton. The resources of the two clubs aren't comparable. Of course we'll come above them but it's apples and oranges.

In his League One days, at least three clubs offered Tisdale jobs but he turned them down. Bet he regrets that now. There are rumours that he's exceptionally highly paid for this league due to two promotion wage rises which now cannot be reversed. The rumour I heard is that that's why Oxford and Pompey couldn't afford him, but would have wanted him. It's commonly believed on Exeweb that that's the case.

Don't get me wrong- there aren't very many managers in this league who I'd take above Sheridan. I think he's the right man for the job here long-term. But there are a select few who I think are even better than Sheridan and Tisdale who has got Exeter performing at least slightly above and usually very far above where they should expect to be each season is one of the few who I'd prefer.

Tisdale was strongly linked to the Oxford job. Exeter made it clear that they would be happy to let him go with no compensation for his (widely known) rolling two year contract. So, why a potentially 'bigger' club than Exeter with greater resources definitely, did he not go? Because he has had two promotion bonuses built in to his contract and is reputedly the highest paid manager outside the Championship at £3500 a week. He also knows that he is bomb proof at Exeter and virtually has a job for life because they cannot afford to pay him off. If he went to Pompey or Oxford, he could be out of a job by the end of next season. No chance of that at Exeter, until they go into liquidation.

Jul 30, 2013
The Wicked Westcountry
Nope. Why would i swap for a manager who took 5 and a half months to win at home? That is an absolute shambles and its only because Exeter don't have the guts that he didn't get sacked. Read some of their forum if you think he's always this good.

Dresses like he's on crack and has by a lot of records, played some truly diabolical football with some truly diabolical players.

Whilst he may be a bit quicker to make a sub, that's about all I can credit him for as for being noticeably better than Sheridan.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
PilgrimJosh":3gsjkkgg said:
Nope. Why would i swap for a manager who took 5 and a half months to win at home? That is an absolute shambles and its only because Exeter don't have the guts that he didn't get sacked. Read some of their forum if you think he's always this good.

Dresses like he's on crack and has by a lot of records, played some truly diabolical football with some truly diabolical players.

Whilst he may be a bit quicker to make a sub, that's about all I can credit him for as for being noticeably better than Sheridan.

So...wearing a cravat means that you take crack?

Oct 16, 2008
Albert Gate
greendream":3k6umizk said:
I would,in a heartbeat,he gets his teams playing football the way it should be played,Sheridan flatters to deceive

Absolutely - apart from his fashion sense.

We don't hear Tisdale complaining about the way his team plays in the second half after one of his half time talks - what does Sheridan say before he retires to sulk in his dugout?

T

Tony Campbell

Maybe a better question is 'would you swap styles' and I don't mean dress sense.

Exeter's neat passing game or Argyles......what is it!

I really do struggle to work out what is Sheridan's footballing philosophy. Someone I was with yesterday described it as 'Ball to the back four, set, launch'.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
PilgrimJosh":3p7sopqt said:

Come off it. He’s worked miracles with that tin-pot outfit up the road. They were conference dead beats and had been for some years when he arrived – he took them to the play-offs in his first season (which they lost). They got over it and he got them promoted the following year. He then got them out of L2 (a helluva achievement for them) then came within a point or two of making the play-offs in L1 (when we got relegated). This was all done on a shoe string and let’s be honest - playing the sort of passing football we saw from them last night and that we would love to see at HP from the Green shirts - which is some achievement on their turnip patch. Sure they got relegated from L1 eventually – they can’t defy gravity forever but most year he has to break up the team and sell his best players. We all hoped they’d collapse after relegation but last year were around the top most of the year before falling away late season.

This year they have gone through a dire patch of form since Christmas, I’ve no idea why but there is ample rumours of serious financial problems behind the scenes – who knows? What I’d say after last night’s showing is that with a decent striker and playing on our pitch with their style of football (no wonder they struggle on their own ploughed field) they’d walk this league with that team. So Yes – I’d swap him for Sheridan in the proverbial heart-beat and enjoy the football.

Apr 15, 2008
London
How about we replace our current manager with the manager of the team who last beat us, then replace him with the manager of the team that beat us next, and the winner stays on.... a bit like on Countdown...