Club Statement on abuse of staff | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Club Statement on abuse of staff

Oct 24, 2010
The disappointing thing is that this appalling behavior is considered acceptable in a football stadium. If it was repeated elsewhere, say if in Tesco you were unhappy with the service and hurled foul mouth abuse at a member of staff it would lead to ejection from the store and possible prosecution. All fans were crushed at the end of Saturday's game it was hugely disappointing but most took on the chin and left the ground in an orderly fashion. A minority (The yobs) resorted to abuse of the manager, it was embarrassing and disgraceful and I support Adams for not being PC about it and speaking his mind.

May 1, 2011
Kentishgreen":20let3np said:
No it’s not but it still doesn’t give you or anybody else the right to tell Adams he’s an effing useles Scottish manager who should eff off back to Scotland. People who think that’s alright have already lost the argument and couldn’t make a case if they tried imho. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion and to express it. But foul mouthing somebody is not on. And if Adams steps out of line then his employers should do something about it, not you or me.

Ah see now you are muddying the argument again to escape the original point. I didn't say it was ok to tell him to eff off back to Scotland or to mention Scotland at all. This is the same as game allegations about go coin throwing, it's all tactics to distract away from the dire underperformance of an arrogant manager.

It is perfectly ok to call a performance like Saturdays an effing shambles.

This statement has also made us more of a laughing stock than we already were.

Nov 2, 2004
Balham_Green":2lygbp84 said:
ealinggreen":2lygbp84 said:
I was one of those who clapped at the end just an alternative to the boos.More supporters were clapping than booing.The worst I saw and I was right in the middle was a few F---k off Adams etc.The statements by Adams and the Club are an absolute joke.Plymouth is a Dockyard City and very working class,this is mirrored in our support.I am so annoyed by the club and Adams reaction to all of this that I may start booing myself.I have been attending for almost 60 yrs and have never joined in the booing,that may well change tonight.

Out of curiosity what were you actually clapping?

I am of the opinion that the players are giving there all,Smith Brown is the only one I doubt in that respect.I therefore clap rather than boo,when they stop trying I will stop clapping.Only twice can I remember Argyle teams clearly not trying and that was under Shilton and the last embers of Kevin Hodges.It took a long time to weed out those players,fortunately we had Warnock and Sturrock to sort it out.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
More deflection isn't it, the human rights debate, by him and others. And that's fine, all part of rolling with the punches of dips in performance for any long term manager.

Flash points at the end of game, being termed as fans crushed: better phrasing please!

Jan 6, 2004
The club and manager need to grow up. If you conduct your business in front of 10,000 football fans you are going to enjoy more vocal adoration than most professions when things go right but you are also going to take more stick when things go wrong. Any name calling of Adams outside the stadium is out of order. However before during and immediately after a game if you do badly you are going to get stick - and yes that might involve the odd bit of bad language. Some may take it too far, but most people involved in football rise above this, it comes with the territory.

Kevin Pedlar

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jul 28, 2010
Plymouth
esmer":uh7ziim4 said:
The disappointing thing is that this appalling behavior is considered acceptable in a football stadium. If it was repeated elsewhere, say if in Tesco you were unhappy with the service and hurled foul mouth abuse at a member of staff it would lead to ejection from the store and possible prosecution. All fans were crushed at the end of Saturday's game it was hugely disappointing but most took on the chin and left the ground in an orderly fashion. A minority (The yobs) resorted to abuse of the manager, it was embarrassing and disgraceful and I support Adams for not being PC about it and speaking his mind.

Quite! Seems amazing to me that people who are happy to dish out abuse from the anonymous safety of a keyboard then take offence when someone known to all has a pop back

May 1, 2011
esmer":17ivehd4 said:

He's made us more of a laughing stock than we already are.

We still have not actually had it confirmed what the 'abuse' even was.

As a side note the staff in Tesco don't usually get applauded, cheered or lauded as heroes either just for doing their job. Football is on a different pedestal on society (rightly or wrongly) and that cuts both ways. That might not be how it should be but it's how it is.

Some non football people think may think any form of chanting, singing etc or being part of a football crowd is yobbish.

May 1, 2011
Kevin Pedlar":3a1zq40o said:
esmer":3a1zq40o said:

Quite! Seems amazing to me that people who are happy to dish out abuse from the anonymous safety of a keyboard then take offence when someone known to all has a pop back

Not offended, just think it's an error of judgement on his part.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Bristol Rich":1y15f7fi said:
Kevin Pedlar":1y15f7fi said:
esmer":1y15f7fi said:

Not offended, just think it's an error of judgement on his part.

It all stems from players and bench’s giving the referee stick. People see that and automatically assume that abuse is tolerated and so acceptable to do the same.

Dec 21, 2015
I for one applaud the club for the statement released....

The club has stated it accepts criticism but not verbal or racist aggressive abuse,

Those knuckle draggers that believe its ok for working class people to act like yobs with language fit for a sewer should go back to the sewer and try and learn some class

anybody that believes being told to F***off back to (insert own country of choice here) you (insert own colour or ethnic group) **** is acceptable in any day or consequence needs to look at them-self and have a word

that kind of language and behaviour is totally unacceptable in today's society regardless

those that say what does the club expect we are a working class dockyard city - I do not act in such a way so do not put everybody into the same pathetic category as yourself

I applaud the club for taking a stance in which it can protect its employees

May 1, 2011
TonyD":3hpnahbf said:

The club has stated it accepts criticism but not verbal or racist aggressive abuse,

Those knuckle draggers that believe its ok for working class people to act like yobs with language fit for a sewer should go back to the sewer and try and learn some class

anybody that believes being told to F***off back to (insert own country of choice here) you (insert own colour or ethnic group) **** is acceptable in any day or consequence needs to look at them-self and have a word

that kind of language and behaviour is totally unacceptable in today's society regardless

those that say what does the club expect we are a working class dockyard city - I do not act in such a way so do not put everybody into the same pathetic category as yourself

Again has Adams actually said received racist abuse? What if this just a smoke screen by a manager looking to distract away from his woeful underperformance?

We have no evidence of coins being thrown or of racist abuse being heard or reporterd on Saturday. Once racism comes into a debate the who argument goes to another level so it had better be genuine.

Most of us would challenge anyone who made reference to an ethnicity or skin colour and used it as abuse.

Mar 21, 2013
TonyD":2xs20f9m said:

Great post, I get that it’s football & what comes with it but it all boils down to what you think is an acceptable level of venting when things go wrong. As always some people are thinking it’s all black & white, that the club are criticising all booing & general footballing insults, when the more likely situation is that it’s in relation to the over the top abuse that SOME feel is acceptable at a football match. Not for one moment am I defending the current performance on the pitch, it’s been another shocking start to the season but it feels like some people are using this as just another excuse to either bash the club or Adams, he deserves criticism for the performances & so do the players but they don’t deserve over the top, pathetic, gutter insults that plenty here wouldn’t take face to face if the boot was on the other foot, it’s so easy to sit & post about how they should “suck it up, it’s football” when you know they’d feel very different if it was them or someone they knew. Boo, tell them they don’t know what they’re doing or not fit to wear the f’ing shirt if you like but rushing to the front of the stand spitting insults out is pathetic.

Sep 3, 2011
Some people are far too sensitive these days. Booing at a football match and the odd cross word. This has played right into Gillinghams' hands.

Mar 21, 2013
Mr Gillingham":q994vtl1 said:
Some people are far too sensitive these days. Booing at a football match and the odd cross word. This has played right into Gillinghams' hands.

If you think it’s just because of a bit of booing & an odd cross word then I think you’re missing the point, how many times before has the club released a statement regarding the fans behaviour even though there’s been plenty of poor performances & results over the years with the accompanying responses that follow a defeat?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Green_Flash":3ffn8knv said:
The club and manager need to grow up. If you conduct your business in front of 10,000 football fans you are going to enjoy more vocal adoration than most professions when things go right but you are also going to take more stick when things go wrong. Any name calling of Adams outside the stadium is out of order. However before during and immediately after a game if you do badly you are going to get stick - and yes that might involve the odd bit of bad language. Some may take it too far, but most people involved in football rise above this, it comes with the territory.

Well said. I cannot believe there are people on this forum comparing going to Home Park with Tesco.

Is the "ooooooh, your poo ahhhhhh" shout acceptable before the opposition keeper takes a goal kick or should stewards be aggressively monitoring such oathish expression?