Club Statement on abuse of staff | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Club Statement on abuse of staff

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
I think the most disappointing aspect of this is the lack of professionalism and clumsiness Argyle and Adams have shown in dealing with the fans and the media. The very simple 101 of running a football club is " Do not alienate the fans".

Adams has shot himself in the foot for several reasons:

- Any casual fan thinking I'll pop down to Argyle sees the word "Yobs" in the media associated with the Argyle fanbase. He/ She then thinks twice about coming to Argyle with their family because of the atmosphere. Therefore Adam's comments are helping put off prospective fans and much needed revenue.

- Existing fans like us feel patronised by the comments and think twice about going to the game - again less fans equals worse atmosphere, probably another poor result, lower future attendances, less money in the kitty for Adams to buy a decent defence!

The club in putting out their statement show zero finesse, spin and media management. The best way to manage this would have been; "Sorry everyone, I know we are not playing well but we are trying....give us time, but please support us during this difficult time, lets all help us stay up and be in it together."

I think we all know Adams cannot come out and say " I agree with you all, I really stuffed up my recruitment and bought League 2 defenders, and some players that will only be good enough in 2 years time. Oops.." . He has to keep the squad motivated and feeling good about themselves plus I don't think he will ever admit (publically at least) he is wrong. But now would be a good time to at least take some blame and stop deflecting it other. I think we would all respect him more for doing that.

Ultimately I think we all know the team (and defence in particular) is a relegation standard. But we also know that until the transfer window opens Adams cannot do much about it and 2 to 3 players could keep us up. For now the club, the manager should be getting us on board and make us excited about supporting the team to make sure every point is a prisoner.

They haven't done that and to be honest Adams and Argyle have really been stupid here and need to swallow their pride, acknowledge the fan's feelings and get us back on onboard.

Oct 16, 2016
PASOTI isn’t indicative of the majority of Greens, it would seem, you need only read the comments after the club’s statement on social media. I appreciate this forum is well established and most are very reasoned, very sensible supporters but birds of a feather.....

The ground swell of opinion is very different than the offerings in this thread alone.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Kentishgreen":3lrml79t said:
No it’s not but it still doesn’t give you or anybody else the right to tell Adams he’s an effing useles Scottish manager who should eff off back to Scotland. People who think that’s alright have already lost the argument and couldn’t make a case if they tried imho. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion and to express it. But foul mouthing somebody is not on. And if Adams steps out of line then his employers should do something about it, not you or me.

Would you say he's a bit hypocritical though? given his history - to complain about 'yobishness'?

Jul 13, 2006
jespafc":1dnxilox said:
I personally don't see anything wrong with this. Paying your money for a ticket doesn't entitle you to hurl abuse at members of the club. If you don't like it, stay home. I think this statement is a reasonable and fair reminder.

Funny you should say that Jes. I was wavering about going tonight, but that statement's made my mind up for me. I shall "stay home". ( Season ticket holder).
And that club statement should've included " we are committed to making Home Park devoid of any atmosphere".

Nov 2, 2004
I was one of those who clapped at the end just an alternative to the boos.More supporters were clapping than booing.The worst I saw and I was right in the middle was a few F---k off Adams etc.The statements by Adams and the Club are an absolute joke.Plymouth is a Dockyard City and very working class,this is mirrored in our support.I am so annoyed by the club and Adams reaction to all of this that I may start booing myself.I have been attending for almost 60 yrs and have never joined in the booing,that may well change tonight.

Sep 6, 2006
ealinggreen":3gbbq92z said:
I was one of those who clapped at the end just an alternative to the boos.More supporters were clapping than booing.The worst I saw and I was right in the middle was a few F---k off Adams etc.The statements by Adams and the Club are an absolute joke.Plymouth is a Dockyard City and very working class,this is mirrored in our support.I am so annoyed by the club and Adams reaction to all of this that I may start booing myself.I have been attending for almost 60 yrs and have never joined in the booing,that may well change tonight.

Out of curiosity what were you actually clapping?

Mar 21, 2013
Kentishgreen":2973eee0 said:
No it’s not but it still doesn’t give you or anybody else the right to tell Adams he’s an effing useles Scottish manager who should eff off back to Scotland. People who think that’s alright have already lost the argument and couldn’t make a case if they tried imho. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion and to express it. But foul mouthing somebody is not on. And if Adams steps out of line then his employers should do something about it, not you or me.

I agree with that but sadly you’re losing the battle on here, at the moment this is a place where ‘Mr & Mrs Angry’ are having their fun. There’s always plenty of booing & general swearing during bad periods but the club haven’t felt the need to say anything before, they’re not getting all precious & stirring up trouble like some think for no reason, clearly they think it’s gone too far & possibly, possibly it’s not just what was aimed at Adams but moreso the atmosphere it’s creating for everyone else who’s in the stadium that are attending like families & kids, and yes before someone comes along with how football is becoming over sanitized, general moaning & swearing is accepted it would seem now & that’s alright but the ‘man children’ that you see frothing at the mouth desperately pushing past people to gob off is frankly embarrassing, boo if you must but if you’re sticking up for a grown man or woman who looks like they have rabies screaming like a toddler then well...

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
There is nothing stopping you booing, if that is what you feel you need to do. Or even shouting abuse from your seats. Or even letting the manager know when you don't agree with a substitution (even though Ruben was woeful on Saturday).

I do think that the behaviour that DOES cross the line is where grown adults rush out of their seats at the final whistle and get down to the corner to hurl personal abuse at players and staff. Why does anyone think that this is acceptable on any level?

We are all hurting but we want them to play for us and hurling abuse at them is not going to inspire them? Would it inspire you?

May 16, 2016
Shankster":3aiq34af said:
PASOTI isn’t indicative of the majority of Greens, it would seem, you need only read the comments after the club’s statement on social media. I appreciate this forum is well established and most are very reasoned, very sensible supporters but birds of a feather.....

The ground swell of opinion is very different than the offerings in this thread alone.

Taking out the ones that post on all forums and groups, there's an element of opinion changing. There's also the modern phenomenon of 'joining in' because it's what everyone else is doing and it's trending. A bit like the collective grief when somebody you've never met passes away .

Kevin Pedlar

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jul 28, 2010
Plymouth
metroace":2c5u3cc2 said:
There is nothing stopping you booing, if that is what you feel you need to do. Or even shouting abuse from your seats. Or even letting the manager know when you don't agree with a substitution (even though Ruben was woeful on Saturday).

I do think that the behaviour that DOES cross the line is where grown adults rush out of their seats at the final whistle and get down to the corner to hurl personal abuse at players and staff. Why does anyone think that this is acceptable on any level?

We are all hurting but we want them to play for us and hurling abuse at them is not going to inspire them? Would it inspire you?

Blimey, a poster with some sense!!

Aug 8, 2014
PL2 3DQ":37j8jq1b said:
I don't think the Herald is helping the situation with their inflammatory articles this season.
Their latest is 'don't bite the hand that feeds' which is ironic given they rely heavily on Argyle news.

This season the Herald has settled on two attack dog journalists who criticise almost every aspect of the club in an effort to whip up debate in the comments section = clickbait.
These two journos rarely set foot in Home Park for interviews.

Meanwhile Chris Errington, the one journo who faces club staff and officials, distances himself from the two rabid journos by publishing considered and reasonable articles.

It's an odd situation at Herald towers.

Today's silly statement from the club has played right into the hands of the Herald who are whipping up a storm even more.

Bbc Spotlight now sniffing around......They were interviewing outside the ticket office asking for views on the 'yob' quote from the weekend.
Completely unhelpful on the day of a huge game, the club should have said nothing.

What a mess! The club as usual seems rudderless again!!

Mar 14, 2009
Remember saying to my Dad things felt like they were just taking toxic.

Instead of taking the sting out of the situation the club have unfortunately made it worse.

The fan base is divided over whether Adams should stay. I remember someone in front of me at full time telling others not to boo whilst applauding the team off in a dramatic way to let everyone around him know he was behind the manager.

I don’t care what you opinion is about Adams. Everyone is entitled to their own view. However, it’s not good that the fan base is divided in this way. That statement might be fine for some but for others it’s only going to fuel the fire that’s burning inside them. Again, a little thought would of gone a long way into not making the current situation any worse.

I’m sorry but Argyle is hardly a Leeds Utd for the type of abuse and stick a manager gets. Yes we have some angry fans who vent their frustrations but it’s a tiny minority in the grand scheme of the overall crowd. That doesn’t excuse things. It’s just pointing out though Adams is fortunate that the majority of the fan base aren’t that vocal.

Argyle are too heavy handed in their approaches. To be honest the word lm looking for is tact. They don’t seem to be apply any to a given situation.

Is Adams going to stop coming out with snide remarks? I mean that doesn’t help our image with some of the pathetic things he says after games. Of course not.

This manager will end up being one of the most hated in Argyle history if this carries on. Even if he turns things around l think he has gone too far to get backing from a section of loyal fans again. I go whatever.....whoever....l don’t think other people will give Argyle that blind loyalty next season if he is still here.

Oct 16, 2016
Guiri Green":3i2dqgo7 said:
Shankster":3i2dqgo7 said:

Taking out the ones that post on all forums and groups, there's an element of opinion changing. There's also the modern phenomenon of 'joining in' because it's what everyone else is doing and it's trending. A bit like the collective grief when somebody you've never met passes away .

Wouldn’t disagree, football is very tribal and partisan, probably the only bastion of this type of social structure left in the modern world