Chairman's update | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Chairman's update

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The club have the Big Green Lottery that is already set up to take monthly payments. It's just £9.75 a month by direct debit, it helps the club and the Academy and in the current climate just return any winnings you might receive to help the club even more.

Full details

Jun 27, 2019
The EFL needs to pull its bloody finger out and draw a line under this season as soon as possible. There are far more important issues at stake and everyone's efforts should be focused on how clubs are going to survive this summer and beyond.

That said, I'm not one of those who feels this is an existential threat. The issues will impact on the entire Football League, which means nobody can turn a blind eye like perhaps they might have done when Bury were going under. Everyone is in it together, which means a solution will be found to keep clubs going - even if that means hundreds of players being unemployed for a long period of time.

The government, the FA, FIFA... whoever it is, they will not allow entire divisions to simply cease to exist. It just won't happen and I fully expect Argyle to start the season in September - albeit without full-house crowds and possibly with a squad made up of loanees.

Jul 7, 2008
Plymouth/Bristol
What communication have people seen from other club's boards?

We're incredibly fortunate to have the Halletts at the helm. I dread to think what the story is at dozens of clubs and where their no news will almost certainly indicate the opposite of good news.

Sincerely, thank you, SH and JH, for doing what you can to protect something so valuable to us all.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
The EFL have pushed the vote by clubs back by 24 hours to Tuesday next week to allow a full 5 days to consider the way they will vote. Why do they need 5 full days FFS ? Most football fans know how each of the clubs will vote as it all about covering their own backsides !
All this time is wasted and clubs will fold - can't they see that ?

Apr 1, 2009
WoodsyGreen":16hfjbm9 said:
The government, the FA, FIFA... whoever it is, they will not allow entire divisions to simply cease to exist. It just won't happen and I fully expect Argyle to start the season in September - albeit without full-house crowds and possibly with a squad made up of loanees.

Start in September? I can't see it. That would mean the club would have to be close to fully active in August, 2 months away. How is everything going to be paid for? Don't really get the "squad made up of loanees", as they will have to be paid too.

A typically open and coherent statement from Simon Hallett, albeit a scary one. For the first time, he mentions "making direct donations" - I hope there will be guidance as to how best to do this.

It would be good if this statement is able to get all Argyle fans understanding our predicament. Sadly we have to stop fantasizing about potential signings, and banging on about ridiculous non-essentials like scoreboards.

Jan 27, 2012
It seems to me that the Chariman has done what he can.

I think that, for the good of English football, the Premier League should be looking to help out clubs in Leagues One and Two. With all the foreign ownership and greed at the top level, I doubt they will. But as I heard someone say the other day, without the bottom there is no top.

Jun 27, 2019
xmastree":2o9x549c said:
WoodsyGreen":2o9x549c said:

Start in September? I can't see it. That would mean the club would have to be close to fully active in August, 2 months away. How is everything going to be paid for? Don't really get the "squad made up of loanees", as they will have to be paid too.

A typically open and coherent statement from Simon Hallett, albeit a scary one. For the first time, he mentions "making direct donations" - I hope there will be guidance as to how best to do this.

It would be good if this statement is able to get all Argyle fans understanding our predicament. Sadly we have to stop fantasizing about potential signings, and banging on about ridiculous non-essentials like scoreboards.

It has been suggested that the normal fees charged by Prem clubs, wage contributions and loan limits would be scrapped, therefore enabling EFL clubs to field as many loanees as they like for free (there would be living expenses but that would pale in comparison to a one-year contract for a permanent signing).

And September is realistic because it has to be. Any longer and even my optimism would start to fade.

May 12, 2020
The message is clear and whilst Simon Hallett didn't specify time schedules and amounts it would be hard to imagine its for longer than 3 months and my feeling would be two maximum.
Unless the EFL and the rest of the crew pull the rabbit out of the hat in that period than Argyle are gone albeit along with many other clubs
The Huddersfield chairman who said 50-60 clubs were on the line is starting to look realistic frankly.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
PL2 3DQ":1iuynr7f said:
The club have the Big Green Lottery that is already set up to take monthly payments. It's just £9.75 a month by direct debit, it helps the club and the Academy and in the current climate just return any winnings you might receive to help the club even more.

Full details

I think the BGL would attract a lot more customers if it was professionally run with an employee of the club being responsible, it always seems an after thought when there is any news of the BGL except when the big draw comes around.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
mervyn":2hazxglj said:
We need an immediate, simple means of making direct donations on-line asap. No reason for any delay, the crisis is now.

I have had a look at several Div 2 Club websites and it is interesting that Cheltenham Town have gone to Crowdfunder seeking donations to help keep their club afloat financially. Perhaps somebody in Plymouth could initiate the process for Argyle.

There was no Chairman's comment on their individual club's situation at this moment to the level that SH has bared his soul on the issue. I also looked at Crewe, Southend Utd, Mansfield, and Exeter City.

If i was to moan at all, it is at the extended timescale that the EFL has taken to get to grips with the promotion / relegation decisions, and consequently fixtures and start dates for next season, either with, or, without crowd attendances being possible.

Totally, 100% behind what Simon has put to us the fans. I will be wavering refunds and will be committed to a Season Ticket for the 20/21 Season whatever league we're in (fwiw I am hoping its L1 and deserved so). It is down to us as Supporters too to put our money where our mouths are (I realise that not everyone is in a position to do so).
Don't know about you, but I was there on the Steps outside the Devonport End when Risdale told us the great news of a buyer which effectively kept our club alive. Seen Promotions, relegations, witnessed dire football and more recently great football.
We cannot let this club die. :scarf: Supported them too long now to give up on it..COYG

Jul 24, 2009
We really are incredibly lucky to have Simon Hallett in charge at this point. Both for his & Jane's generosity & also for his thoughtful management of such a critical situation.

If the future of Argyle is threatened then so too surely for half / the majority of the 92. The FA / EFL must come up with a model that allows professional football to be viable if (as seems likely) this new reality goes on for quite some time.

I'm not as pessimistic as some, purely because I believe so many clubs are in the same fight for survival as us, they may not all have had it articulated to them quite as well as we have. The fact that it is a systemic problem may mean there is the focus to find a solution.