Chairman's update | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Chairman's update

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
I'd say that we're a relatively stable club in the EFL. So, if we're potentially in trouble, they're must be dozens of clubs in a more perilous position.

Scary times.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Graham Clark":22szn85l said:
The report (in the link below) best illustrates the impact of EFL clubs in their community and what would be lost if a club folds. I would be shoving it right in front of the Culture Secretary right now to demonstrate that there is life beyond the Premiership.

The Argyle Community Trust is one of the best examples.

https://www.efl.com/contentassets/b59b1 ... al-pdf.pdf

Graham I think you are whistling in the wind if you think the government ( I hope I’m wrong) are going to bale out the EFL, what about other sports would the government come to their rescue, I’m sure people could make the case that any money should be spent on more serious causes,there is not a bottom less pit of money we all especially the youngsters are going to repay all this money back that the government are printing at present.

I think there is enough money in football when you include the premier league and the FA to take care of itself if the will was there.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Just to add another two optimistic/naive points, there are massive differences between the situation now and the last brush with extinction in 2011.

1) as mentioned above, we were a badly run business that had run up £17m of debt and in pure business terms shouldn't have continued to operate. We are now a well-run business with fresh revenue streams that has just happened to be a victim of exceptional external circumstances (again though, this is clearly the case for many thousands of struggling businesses).

2) if the worst happens and Simon Hallett cannot or will not fund the club any longer, any potential owner would now be looking at a well-run League One (hopefully) club, with (hopefully still) no debt, good infrastucture, owning its own modern stadium and with likely much-weakened competition. We would be a good investment with a relative good chance of reaching the Premier League, where in 2011 we certainly were not.

Jun 27, 2019
dunlop":49qdkgri said:
Graham Clark":49qdkgri said:
The report (in the link below) best illustrates the impact of EFL clubs in their community and what would be lost if a club folds. I would be shoving it right in front of the Culture Secretary right now to demonstrate that there is life beyond the Premiership.

Graham I think you are whistling in the wind if you think the government ( I hope I’m wrong) are going to bale out the EFL, what about other sports would the government come to their rescue, I’m sure people could make the case that any money should be spent on more serious causes,there is not a bottom less pit of money

They gave £16m to rugby league clubs in interest free loans. If they would do that for a minority sport only played in a specific geographical area then I doubt they'd have any issue making a similar arrangement for the national sport.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Steve Evans":1kmc7ryd said:
if IJN could start a crowd funding page I would donate.this club is a massive family.let's give what we can.

Hate Crowdfunding Steve. Not all the money goes to where it should.

I am taking donations though, see the buy a shirt thread and there’s loads of ways you can get the money to me. I’ve paid £240 DIRECT into the club already today.

You don’t even have to buy a shirt!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
It's also worth noting rather optimistically/naively, that this government was voted in with a massive swing of working class constituencies.

As the traditionally working class sport, there may be extra incentive to preserve football clubs in these areas, than with a traditional Tory vote.

Personally I think there is enough money in football itself to assist.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
IJN":226yze4q said:
Steve Evans":226yze4q said:
if IJN could start a crowd funding page I would donate.this club is a massive family.let's give what we can.

Hate Crowdfunding Steve. Not all the money goes to where it should.

I am taking donations though, see the buy a shirt thread and there’s loads of ways you can get the money to me. I’ve paid £240 DIRECT into the club already today.

You don’t even have to buy a shirt!
fair point about crowd funding as I have my doubts about them.will donate soon.

Apr 1, 2009
Steve Evans":jrc693cr said:

I don't actually get why we need a crowdfunding page (or why the responsibility should fall on IJN). SH encouraged "direct donations" so a) there needs to be clear guidance on how to directly donate, and b) let's get donating.

Jul 12, 2016
Dreamgreen":1erjel3p said:
The EFL have pushed the vote by clubs back by 24 hours to Tuesday next week to allow a full 5 days to consider the way they will vote. Why do they need 5 full days FFS ? Most football fans know how each of the clubs will vote as it all about covering their own backsides !
All this time is wasted and clubs will fold - can't they see that ?
I agree. The EFL are just incompetent. They are just "kicking the can down the road" and seem incapable of making a decision.
Do they really care? We have seen their inaction with clubs like Macclesfield ,leaving it until the 11th hour to decide what to do. Pathetic and not fit for purpose .:facepalm:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
xmastree":2mds1udt said:
Steve Evans":2mds1udt said:

I don't actually get why we need a crowdfunding page (or why the responsibility should fall on IJN). SH encouraged "direct donations" so a) there needs to be clear guidance on how to directly donate, and b) let's get donating.

I would imagine when/if this happens there would be an outcry of 'Here we go again'.

I suppose at least this way, the club aren't seen as directly tapping up the punters.

I'm very happy to do it, but if the club did think fit to open something up this site's would immediately cease. But until then feel free to donate.

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
dunlop":a6kikwzj said:
Graham Clark":a6kikwzj said:

Graham I think you are whistling in the wind if you think the government ( I hope I’m wrong) are going to bale out the EFL, what about other sports would the government come to their rescue, I’m sure people could make the case that any money should be spent on more serious causes,there is not a bottom less pit of money we all especially the youngsters are going to repay all this money back that the government are printing at present.

I think there is enough money in football when you include the premier league and the FA to take care of itself if the will was there.

The Government recently pledged £750 million to ensure financial support for voluntary, community and social enterprise (VCSE) organizations so that they can continue their vital work supporting the country. Hence the suggested linkage with the CCOs (like Argyle Community Trust and the work they do) They also gave £16m to the Rugby League. i suggest it is a loan (at the very low interest rates at the moment) paid back over 5 years and underwritten by the EFL. I think the Premiership think £400m is enough to give each to the EFL year of which Argyle would get £675,000 in League 1 next season. It's not enough.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
As a one off payment the Premier League clubs have been asked to donate £10 million each to the EFL (£200m in total), that means £1m to each League One club or £666,000 to every League Two club and £6.6m for every Championship club, although nothing has been confirmed yet.
It will help if that happens.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
PL2 3DQ":21nwfjt9 said:
As a one off payment the Premier League clubs have been asked to donate £10 million each to the EFL (£200m in total), that means £1m to each League One club or £666,000 to every League Two club and £6.6m for every Championship club, although nothing has been confirmed yet.
It will help if that happens.

Yep, but not sure of the logic of giving League 2 clubs a 10th of the cash that Championship gets.

Surely it should follow a progressive welfare or tax-like system in that the poorest get the most help, or at least not THAT much less than the Championship that is already full of rich owners running at a loss.