Football crowds coming back? (October. Update - paused) | Page 24 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Football crowds coming back? (October. Update - paused)

May 8, 2011
Just like to point out that crowds are already back at football, I’ve been to 6 matches so far, including watching Argyle’s U18s four times.
It has been good to get some normality back to saturdays.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Keepitgreen":1l56vh8u said:
Balham_Green":1l56vh8u said:
Mike Greening":1l56vh8u said:
Quinny":1l56vh8u said:
Boris has confirmed that plans to ease restrictions on sporting events has been put on hold, and this will remain in place for at least 6 months.
If that's the case all pubs should be closed.

Firstly its a misquote. Regulations COULD remain in place for 6 months. And it doesn't say ALL regulations.
Re pubs I guess they dont usually involve folk travelling from the other side of town/county to get there.
It does raise the question of the season ticket holders though. I assume they believed they would be in from October.
Nope, I was always hopeful for the turn of the year. It was always the case that we could be watching iFollow for a big part of the season.

I think only Devongreenowl was confident of October. :)

I said ‘I wouldn’t be surprised’ if crowds were back to 'normal' by then, meaning some sort of normal.
I then pledged a sum of money to Pasoti charity if there weren’t crowds by the end of the year and a further sum by if crowds not back by March.

Glad to see that IJN himself felt a degree of confidence too.

Obviously, looking less likely now but never say never, especially with Boris. I don’t think he knows whether he’s coming or going to be honest. Maggie must be turning in her grave.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Meanwhile the Bundesliga had up to 10,000 fans back in stadiums this week!
And in Serie A 1,000 fans return to each game.

Dec 3, 2005
The Night Riveria":3cz1vvk1 said:
Couldn't agree more about pubs being closed full stop .But that wouldn't fit in With Boris's plans for the economy .Football is of no concern to him 'as he doesn't see that as a major cash cow for the government

I really don't think, even the Government have a endless pit of money - the Tax Payers money - we need the economy as much as a vaccine for this virus.

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
People tend to look at the restrictions from a purely selfish point of view, and personally I am no different. The first thought that goes through my head is, how will they effect my job, my wifes job and my daughters school.

After that, the priority tends to be how will it effect you socially, well I can live without going to a live game, as much as i miss it, and I can't remember the last time I was in a pub post 10pm.

Then this morning i woke up with a sinking realisation that, whilst Argyle (for now) and under no immediate threat, without fans until March 2021, the football pyramid as we know it faces its biggest EVER crisis. We are prudently run as a club, we already know Hallett has planned for all scenarios (this being one of them), but many clubs either just won't have or been unable to prepare for this, and will have been relying on gate receipts from October 1st as part of their budgeting.

No one should underestimate the crisis the EFL and other sports now face. Without a PL or Govt bail out, clubs WILL go to the wall, and they will fall like dominoes.

The integrity of the league, with clubs going bust and points deductions for administration, will be seriously undermined.

HMRC payments, loan deferrals are already being kicked in to the long grass. But there will be clubs unable to pay players at the end of October.

This crisis has now escalated for football, it is no longer about results, but survival of the pyramid.

Morning Everyone :scarf: :scarf:

Jul 12, 2016
Stuart House":17ab4kmq said:
People tend to look at the restrictions from a purely selfish point of view, and personally I am no different. The first thought that goes through my head is, how will they effect my job, my wifes job and my daughters school.

After that, the priority tends to be how will it effect you socially, well I can live without going to a live game, as much as i miss it, and I can't remember the last time I was in a pub post 10pm.

Then this morning i woke up with a sinking realisation that, whilst Argyle (for now) and under no immediate threat, without fans until March 2021, the football pyramid as we know it faces its biggest EVER crisis. We are prudently run as a club, we already know Hallett has planned for all scenarios (this being one of them), but many clubs either just won't have or been unable to prepare for this, and will have been relying on gate receipts from October 1st as part of their budgeting.

No one should underestimate the crisis the EFL and other sports now face. Without a PL or Govt bail out, clubs WILL go to the wall, and they will fall like dominoes.

The integrity of the league, with clubs going bust and points deductions for administration, will be seriously undermined.

HMRC payments, loan deferrals are already being kicked in to the long grass. But there will be clubs unable to pay players at the end of October.

This crisis has now escalated for football, it is no longer about results, but survival of the pyramid.

Well said. All fans are eager to get back to HP and see Argyle do well but in the current situation and not wishing to sound too dramatic, survival is the name of the game. We are in a better position than most thanks to the Halletts but they do not have a bottomless pit of money should the pandemic continue for some time. Hopefully a vaccine will be available early next year.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We might survive but other clubs won't so we'll have limited teams to play against.
The league next season could be made up of the clubs that survived Covid regardless of promotion or relegation.

The only way out is for fans to regularly buy merchandise or donate but more importantly the Government to provide financial help, if not is it worth this season continuing and is it best to mothball all clubs until next season and see who survives?

Feb 8, 2005
Stuart House":1g2uw0s6 said:

Like everyone else, you are looking at how these restrictions affect you and your family, and how you are all going to cope with the restrictions. I can understand that, but the priority is not how it affects you, but how it would affect all those people that you come into contact with IF you got covid 19 without knowing, because the risk has increased nationally, and THAT is the whole crux of the matter.

Reducing the risk is all that matters. These restrictions are intended to reduce the danger of covid 19 being passed around the population.

Lives are at stake and why should the clubs increase that risk, however minimal, by allowing supporters into the stadium?

Once the risk has been reduced nationwide, then the government may think about allowing supporters back into the stadia,

This is not just a football thing, but sport in general, and clubs will have to cope as best as they can until the risk of getting covid reduces enough for the government to allow supporters back, a few at a time.

The Government also has one eye on the economy, and has a fine balancing act to achieve the best of both worlds, especially as the virus is new and we are only learning about it as we go along.

The government has to assess the risk to the whole population, not just to any particular section and clubs will have to cut their cloth accordingly. Those that are seen to be reckless may not survive. That is life and owners may rue their decisions made at the start of the outbreak, without giving their clubs any allowances for things to deteriorate as the season continues. That is the risk/reward success/failure that all clubs take at the start of every season.

We should treat these restrictions, not as a pain that disrupts our everyday living, but as a necessity for us to protect the elderly and vulnerable who are at risk, either directly or indirectly, as we live our own lives with this awful, awful virus.

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":26q97oyz said:
We might survive but other clubs won't so we'll have limited teams to play against.
The league next season could be made up of the clubs that survived Covid regardless of promotion or relegation.

The only way out is for fans to regularly buy merchandise or donate but more importantly the Government to provide financial help, if not is it worth this season continuing and is it best to mothball all clubs until next season and see who survives?

How would mothballing the season help? I don't get it.

Actually I am not clear how clubs are worse off having no fans rather than say 30% capacity of already sold season tickets plus Ifollow.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Really?
Loss of gate money, programme sales, merchandise, food outlets, bars, conferencing. I’m sure there’s more. Plus, how many season ticket holders will want their money back if they don’t see any games at all?

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Devongreenowl":1stdcipe said:
Really?
Loss of gate money, programme sales, merchandise, food outlets, bars, conferencing. I’m sure there’s more. Plus, how many season ticket holders will want their money back if they don’t see any games at all?

If they allowed 1000 spectators in they'd all be season ticket holders so no gate income.
Food outlets, bars and conferencing facilities would be used at a bare minimum.
Match day staff expenses would out weigh any income I'm sure.

Sep 25, 2010
It would only be 1,000 for the first match. If successful, it would increase match on match.

But you would have to start with 1,000, and agree it would probably be run at a loss.that game.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Martyn":s7ikrk62 said:
It would only be 1,000 for the first match. If successful, it would increase match on match.

But you would have to start with 1,000, and agree it would probably be run at a loss.that game.

Irrelevant now.

Sep 25, 2010
Don’t know, perhaps the Government can be persuaded to reintroduce the trial games in a few weeks.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Ponty":1mf6zl3o said:
Martyn":1mf6zl3o said:

Irrelevant now.

For now, perhaps. Lots of pressure coming to bear now from sports clubs of all types. Farcical situation. Still ok to eat out though, so that’s the main thing :facepalm: