Gillingham v Argyle match thread | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Gillingham v Argyle match thread

Apr 5, 2008
:thumbup: 80 goals conceded in league one again. A hugely sarcastic WELL DONE to Argyle :scarf:

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think the effort and desire has been there, we just aren’t good enough, up top or at the back.

Jul 12, 2016
Cobi Budge":2ygihwmr said:
I think the effort and desire has been there, we just aren’t good enough, up top or at the back.
I could have told you that 15 games ago.

Jul 12, 2016
To be fair this is a patched up defence and we weren't that good when it was at full strength.

Jul 7, 2008
Plymouth/Bristol
Paranoid Android":2s3x8f2f said:
Don't particularly like Ainsworth but he nearly pulled off a great escape yesterday.

I don’t understand how this became a thing. They needed a 15 goal difference swing with Derby on the final day of the season - great escape was never on.

Irritating sensationalist journalism. Lazy.

Aug 5, 2016
slingsby_pobble":35u1bp0k said:
ely grap":35u1bp0k said:
slingsby_pobble":35u1bp0k said:
Paranoid Android":35u1bp0k said:
Would we rather be 10th playing under Steve Evans?

I suppose it depends whether your only interested in points now, or whether you want to get there playing football in the longer term.

Yes. Or Ainsworth. I don't mind what we play as long as it gets results.

Our football under Lowe was supposed to be 'pretty' but losing 6-0 at home is never pretty.
I personally wouldn’t want either of those two managing my club no matter how successful! Each to their own I suppose?

Maybe Ainsworth's been found out in Championship and his 'tactics' aren't suitable against more skilled players and and more savvy referees...? But he achieved promotion from L1 last season with limited resources.

It's an interesting argument, purist v realist maybe? Perhaps it comes down to the way the game is policed/refereed.

"Found out"?

Ainsworth was playing against managers paid 10 x what he is, with budgets 10 x what his was.

And he still finished above Sheffield Wednesday and Rotherham, and one point off Wayne Rooney's Derby.

If Ainsworth was 'found out', what's the excuse of these other clubs?

I doubt many other managers in English football would have done any better with Wycombe's resources.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
oldage":2efj924p said:
slingsby_pobble":2efj924p said:
ely grap":2efj924p said:
slingsby_pobble":2efj924p said:
Paranoid Android":2efj924p said:
Would we rather be 10th playing under Steve Evans?

I suppose it depends whether your only interested in points now, or whether you want to get there playing football in the longer term.

Yes. Or Ainsworth. I don't mind what we play as long as it gets results.

Our football under Lowe was supposed to be 'pretty' but losing 6-0 at home is never pretty.
I personally wouldn’t want either of those two managing my club no matter how successful! Each to their own I suppose?

Maybe Ainsworth's been found out in Championship and his 'tactics' aren't suitable against more skilled players and and more savvy referees...? But he achieved promotion from L1 last season with limited resources.

It's an interesting argument, purist v realist maybe? Perhaps it comes down to the way the game is policed/refereed.
Don't particularly like Ainsworth but he nearly pulled off a great escape yesterday.
The escape was never going to happen but they finished the season really well even when there was little hope of survival. Ainsworth did a fantastic job to get Wycombe to that level and with their limited resources did an equally great job to get 43 points against all expectations. I would have him at Home Park in a heart beat but I would prefer Ryan Lowe to address this season's short comings and turn things around.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
We look threatening when we actually put fast balls into the box, more of that and not the tippy tappy stuff at the corner flags.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Lolos and Jephcott on, Ennis and Moore off.