Grandstand cost to rise | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grandstand cost to rise

Aug 5, 2015
I find it quite amazing that courtesy of one person putting his hand in his pocket we are having the first major refurbishment of our grandstand in living memory yet some people remain unsatisfied. Of course the board could have sold out to a Thai businessman and let the club be used for money laundering purposes or they could have borrowed a few hundred million at favourable rates and then we’d have a completely new grandstand. I think I know which one I prefer!

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
PlymouthCasual":2y2afm7r said:
the_corkscrew":2y2afm7r said:
PlymouthCasual":2y2afm7r said:
the_corkscrew":2y2afm7r said:
The Grumpy Loyal":2y2afm7r said:
With the amount of time since planning was granted, to not even have a main contractor signed up at this stage is a massive error. Simple as that.
Remind me what your experience is in the construction industry? Unless it's extensive , you're not qualified to comment on whether that's usual or not.

And what is your experience in the professional Football industry? I suspect that it is exactly the same as mine.....none!

Does this mean that we are unable to comment on anything football related also?

You saying commenting on footballers kicking a ball around is the same as speculating about a complex construction project ? No, didn't think you were.

Complex construction project? are we talking about the same site? Its an extension, a new roof and a few new seats. hardly a pioneering example of construction which will rival the Burj Al Arab.

Please co not feel like I am playing down the project though. I am more than happy with what is going on at Home Park at the moment. I just fail to buy into the complexity of the project which others have posted :thumbs:

You fail to see the complexity of organising a whole refit of a stand, a complete re-work of the surrounding area, movement of offices, the club shop and GTs suite all the while trying to minimise impact on day-to-day running of the business and contending with fortnightly football matches where 10,000 fans will be on-site. You're right sounds like a right laugh.

As for award of the main contract; this is a perfectly normal position to be in at this stage. Once you go out to tender, receive responses back, evaluate these etc. you're talking a few months work if done properly. The timescales of the work will be built into each of the offers we got back, that's how each bidder will have priced up their offer. Once a contractor has been selected, terms agreed and signed off they can begin pretty much immediately so I don't understand the fuss.

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Kentishgreen":hyk43cjo said:
I didn’t think it would be too long before the negatives came in.
Didn’t think it would too long before the positive protection squad came in.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

IJN":1zhyj6dm said:
Best let them get on with the moaning mate, it's what they do.

Meanwhile there are those of us who trust people. Nothing wrong with that.

Plenty trusted Stapleton and some even trusted Todd.

That all ended well didn’t it.

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Kentishgreen":1wjcgf4s said:
It’s almost a shame it’s happening at all and planned to be ready for the season after next. I wonder what people will have to moan about then?
The parking, corners to the grandstand, lack of turnstile operators, longer contracts for our better players, the pillars, cost of refreshments, tickets, segregation area, blocked off seats, transparency, playing our scheduled fixtures, stewards, prefab buildings, PPS, ice rink, hotels, offices, delay in the refurb, quality of the refurb, rip off prices in the shop,the playing budget, size of the squad, quality of the pasties, the statue of JB the PPS insist on having at the entrance to Home Park, did I mention the parking.........never forget our glass is permanently half empty & Argyle never, never let us down. :greensmile:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The Grumpy Loyal":1eqybnwz said:

I trusted Stapleton implicitly, I still say his heart was in the right place, he was certainly an Argyle fan.

However, a bad example doesn't necessarily mean you have to be cynical, most sane people take each person or group of people as they come.

After all, Hitler, Shipman and Savile were all 'human', does that mean we have to hate everyone?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Mork":378ous6z said:
Kentishgreen":378ous6z said:
It’s almost a shame it’s happening at all and planned to be ready for the season after next. I wonder what people will have to moan about then?
The parking, corners to the grandstand, lack of turnstile operators, longer contracts for our better players, the pillars, cost of refreshments, tickets, segregation area, blocked off seats, transparency, playing our scheduled fixtures, stewards, prefab buildings, PPS, ice rink, hotels, offices, delay in the refurb, quality of the refurb, rip off prices in the shop,the playing budget, size of the squad, quality of the pasties, the statue of JB the PPS insist on having at the entrance to Home Park, did I mention the parking.........never forget our glass is permanently half empty & Argyle never, never let us down. :greensmile:

Don't mention parking FFS. The NAGS will rise up again. :facepalm:

T

The Grumpy Loyal

IJN":2flx0g27 said:
The Grumpy Loyal":2flx0g27 said:

I trusted Stapleton implicitly, I still say his heart was in the right place, he was certainly an Argyle fan.

However, a bad example doesn't necessarily mean you have to be cynical, most sane people take each person or group of people as they come.

After all, Hitler, Shipman and Savile were all 'human', does that mean we have to hate everyone?

Oh I know you trusted Stapleton. And Todd.

And I’ve no doubt you trust JB.

What I will say is that yes, absolutely Stapes was a true fan. He just got greedy. Todd was just a complete speculator.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The first time I saw Todd I did, within weeks I could see what he was, but no doubt you'll say different.

I trust AND like JB, just in case you were in any doubt.

As I say because you're a cynic, doesn't make you right, just sometimes you hit lucky. I prefer as I say, to take each person as they come.

May 16, 2016
Mork":q6ohkli1 said:
Kentishgreen":q6ohkli1 said:

Yipes. Now you've put it like that, I'm going to try and get a refund on my ST and watch the Raiders instead.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
The Grumpy Loyal":vwzzst6u said:
Of course now, a contractor is allegedly going to be put under pressure with deadline-based financial penalty clauses.

That shouldn't be an issue if the project management / architects have a comprehensive plan ready, including time/cost contingencies. And any contractor would ensure there would be force majeure caveats in any contract they'd sign.