Grandstand cost to rise | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grandstand cost to rise

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
I want it NOW

DopeyVictoriousGavial-max-1mb.gif

Jan 31, 2010
Worcester
Kentishgreen":1h7g6kuj said:
I find it quite amazing that courtesy of one person putting his hand in his pocket we are having the first major refurbishment of our grandstand in living memory yet some people remain unsatisfied. Of course the board could have sold out to a Thai businessman and let the club be used for money laundering purposes or they could have borrowed a few hundred million at favourable rates and then we’d have a completely new grandstand. I think I know which one I prefer!

Not sure I quite follow the logic here, unless of course you mean the one person being Simon Hallett?! As far as I am aware there has been no comment that JB has put his hand in his pocket.

I find it incredulous that there is no challenge to the statement that no contract has been signed. All that has appeared in that Herald article is hyperbole and for want of a better phrase, grandstanding! I hope JB proves the doubters wrong, but there is no way that I am convinced it will happen based on this nonsense of an article. Don't get me started on the WW2 bomb analogy....

I hope I am wrong, but I think Grumpy (and others) are talking a lot of sense.

C

CalvinPlummer

Do we publish a business plan? The investment in the new stand and facilities needs a payback ypu would think filling it every week with Championship football would be a key assumption. But yet Brent has stated he would need someone else to buy the club should we get there. Tis a bit odd.

Mar 21, 2013
Taxman Dave":3jtuefgo said:
Kentishgreen":3jtuefgo said:
I find it quite amazing that courtesy of one person putting his hand in his pocket we are having the first major refurbishment of our grandstand in living memory yet some people remain unsatisfied. Of course the board could have sold out to a Thai businessman and let the club be used for money laundering purposes or they could have borrowed a few hundred million at favourable rates and then we’d have a completely new grandstand. I think I know which one I prefer!

Not sure I quite follow the logic here, unless of course you mean the one person being Simon Hallett?! As far as I am aware there has been no comment that JB has put his hand in his pocket.

I find it incredulous that there is no challenge to the statement that no contract has been signed. All that has appeared in that Herald article is hyperbole and for want of a better phrase, grandstanding! I hope JB proves the doubters wrong, but there is no way that I am convinced it will happen based on this nonsense of an article. Don't get me started on the WW2 bomb analogy....

I hope I am wrong, but I think Grumpy (and others) are talking a lot of sense.

I don’t, I think him & his ilk are clutching at straws hoping that something goes wrong just to prove them right. They feed off anything negative & spin in that they’re the ‘voice of reason & genuine concern’. If these posters had any balance to their arguments then maybe you could engage sensibly with them & discuss any concerns but people who constantly have nothing but miserable, negative, factually incorrect or embellished half-truth comments to make, then you just can’t take what they say seriously, there’s always an agenda behind it. A normal person would, I imagine, show concern at anything that may be problematic for the club they apparently support but the almost joy that some of these people get from having something gloomy to post about is frankly bizarre?!

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Some of the posts on this thread beggar belief. The type of contract that has been brought up for this project is normal. A lot of groundwork has already been done. Financial penalties are also the norm for such projects. Having been involved with these types of contracts and time pressure builds/projects I find this all quite normal.
Frankly I find it utterly pathetic how people without knowledge of the mechanics of projects like this have the urge to type out critical and scathing posts. Everybody had their chances to ask questions at the planning meeting and at the open forums with the directors. I don't think many challenged did they. No.
Why oh why can't people just accept that maybe just maybe we have our club in VERY safe hands.

Rant over.

Mar 21, 2013
Pettgreen":2m872zlo said:
Some of the posts on this thread beggar belief. The type of contract that has been brought up for this project is normal. A lot of groundwork has already been done. Financial penalties are also the norm for such projects. Having been involved with these types of contracts and time pressure builds/projects I find this all quite normal.
Frankly I find it utterly pathetic how people without knowledge of the mechanics of projects like this have the urge to type out critical and scathing posts. Everybody had their chances to ask questions at the planning meeting and at the open forums with the directors. I don't think many challenged did they. No.
Why oh why can't people just accept that maybe just maybe we have our club in VERY safe hands.

Rant over.

Because then these people wouldn’t have anything to talk about, their whole purpose is to come on here (or wherever else online they go) to moan & complain or to get a reaction & attempt to wind up, this is nothing against those who may show concern or challenge things in a constructive manner but those who as soon as you see their name next to a comment you can just predict how it’s going to go. Some people will agree with them & say “top post” but usually it’s because they also approach these sites in the same way, get a bit of internet fame, however small that may be, & get the attention that they are so lacking in the real world.

Oct 31, 2015
The Grumpy Loyal":1bdaswqu said:
With the amount of time since planning was granted, to not even have a main contractor signed up at this stage is a massive error. Simple as that.

Give it a rest mate. Its painful sometimes.

Brent et all know what they are doing and the call for the new roof is spot on.

Contractor sign up is probably a gimme once the lawyers have finished. A final price contract on something like this is balsy to say the least.

Give a bit credit or dont say anything but stop the constant moaning ffs

May 8, 2011
CalvinPlummer":3287h5wg said:
Do we publish a business plan? The investment in the new stand and facilities needs a payback ypu would think filling it every week with Championship football would be a key assumption. But yet Brent has stated he would need someone else to buy the club should we get there. Tis a bit odd.

Factually incorrect, you are bit out of date with your statement.

May 8, 2011
Walking past Home Park today there did quite a lot of work going on with more areas of HHP fenced off.

Feb 8, 2005
If the grandstand is going to cost a £1m more, then where will the extra cost come from OR where will the cut backs be?

Jul 25, 2011
Sorry if it’s already been covered but as already stated the new roof will not be cantelivered but propped, How many pillars will it require and will they still be flush with the balcony frontage or placed further forward? Also will the roof still be pitched or flat? Thanks

Mar 23, 2008
Pettgreen":p446ik4v said:

Rant over.
Threads like these do give people with little knowledge and an agenda the opportunity to knock JB, very tiresome. Luckily most genuine level headed Argyle fans know what we have and appreciate it.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

rsp4":3els4nb0 said:
The Grumpy Loyal":3els4nb0 said:
With the amount of time since planning was granted, to not even have a main contractor signed up at this stage is a massive error. Simple as that.

Give it a rest mate. Its painful sometimes.

Brent et all know what they are doing and the call for the new roof is spot on.

Contractor sign up is probably a gimme once the lawyers have finished. A final price contract on something like this is balsy to say the least.

Give a bit credit or dont say anything but stop the constant moaning ffs

“Brent et all know what they are doing”

“A contractor sign up is probably a gimme”

If you want to debate specifics that I’ve said, I’m happy to. But when you make ambiguous comments like that it doesn’t really strengthen your argument. For the record I do think the build will happen....eventually. But our Chairmans record in ‘development’ to date is shocking. The longer it drags on without final contracts signed means price variables aren’t nailed down, and corner cutting and spec reducing highly likely.