Home Park, A Pictorial History (In Plymouth? See page 5) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park, A Pictorial History (In Plymouth? See page 5)

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
pastiesforlife":1j0u8jz0 said:
There's an OS map from 1920 on maps.nls.uk ( can be reached from a link in an article in the Herald from last year about maps on line). Seems to suggest Elm cottage, (which still exists and doesn't look right) or if on the other side of Tavistock Rd would be Wellesley House, or maybe more likely, Outland Mill.

Elm Cottage............... wasn't that purchased by the club back in the Waiters era as a "home" for PAFC apprentices? I seem to remember it was run at the time by old Argyle stalwart George Robertson.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
kernow19":3spcpijd said:
pastiesforlife":3spcpijd said:
There's an OS map from 1920 on maps.nls.uk ( can be reached from a link in an article in the Herald from last year about maps on line). Seems to suggest Elm cottage, (which still exists and doesn't look right) or if on the other side of Tavistock Rd would be Wellesley House, or maybe more likely, Outland Mill.

Elm Cottage............... wasn't that purchased by the club back in the Waiters era as a "home" for PAFC apprentices? I seem to remember it was run at the time by old Argyle stalwart George Robertson.
Yes it was - yet another job dear old George (and his wife June) did for the club. It is all his fault I ever got involved watching Argyle. His father in law Fred Quirke was our milkman when I was about 4 or 5 and he used to tell me that his son-in-law played for Argyle. It was that which got me interested, an injection of green which has delivered hope and despair in reasonably equal measures!

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
bigdavegr84":tt04dfwk said:
when will this book be on sale?
Hopefully by the end of the month or very soon after. I'll post again when I know more.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
IJN":1qpoxqar said:
Swillyboy":1qpoxqar said:
10 Steps Start Here

There is iconic and there is really iconic. Those "10 Steps Start Here" signs rank in the latter bracket. Remarkably the Plymouth Argyle Supporters Club paid entirely for the terracing and covering of the Popular Side (Lyndhurst) in the summer of 1962 or 1963. I think the terracing was 1962 (probably used for the first time for an under 23 international in November 1962 v Belgium) and then it was covered a year or two later. Although contractors W Cooper and Son concreted the terraces those famous and steep steps at the Barn Park End were built entirely by volunteer labour from the Supporters' Club.

Where is that sign now? I recall writing to the club (might have been Andy Budge) when the old Barn Park End was being demolished and got the reply that I could have it. Heard nothing more until I was told it had been broken up and dumped. Always wondered if I'd been gazumped. Does anyone know if it still exists?

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Bermudian Green":2kscn4jc said:
Where is that sign now? I recall writing to the club (might have been Andy Budge) when the old Barn Park End was being demolished and got the reply that I could have it. Heard nothing more until I was told it had been broken up and dumped. Always wondered if I'd been gazumped. Does anyone know if it still exists?

A ropey image but it shows there were in fact three signs (and I think four, the first being the closest, just out of shot):

10steps.jpg

Vital signs too, in the days when crowds leaving were so tightly packed together that it was impossible to see your feet, let alone the path beneath them, so where the steps started each time could only be judged from above.

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
memory man":2fnr6vtk said:
GreensOnScreen":2fnr6vtk said:
pastiesforlife":2fnr6vtk said:
Anybody know the game featured on the cover? By the size of the crowd, looks like an early JPT match.

Also the kit looks a lot to be desired (or not).

Nothing much changes at Home Park.

The actual match is a bit of a mystery but that's Jack Leslie playing the ball and there's an earth-banked Devonport End, so that puts it in the 1920s. The stand in the corner is the Spooner Stand. Nothing much changes at Home Park? More like everything has changed!
Any ideas what the large building is in the background. Wrong direction for Pounds House?
I have been supporting Argyle since the early 50's and and have many books but that is the first time that I have seen this photograph. I reckon the building concerned is close to where the Esso Garage in Outland Road is now situated. I remember when that site was a nursery.
On a map of Plymouth dated 1912 there is a large building known as Outland Mill near to the above location but in a 19933 map this building has gone and Segrave Road and various houses (which I presume are the ones still there now) have appeared. So I would put my money on this being Outland Mill.

I am looking forward to getting this book and hopefuuly seeing other photos which I have not previously seen. :thumbup:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Green as Grass":3qqpktba said:
memory man":3qqpktba said:
GreensOnScreen":3qqpktba said:
pastiesforlife":3qqpktba said:
Anybody know the game featured on the cover? By the size of the crowd, looks like an early JPT match.

Also the kit looks a lot to be desired (or not).

Nothing much changes at Home Park.

The actual match is a bit of a mystery but that's Jack Leslie playing the ball and there's an earth-banked Devonport End, so that puts it in the 1920s. The stand in the corner is the Spooner Stand. Nothing much changes at Home Park? More like everything has changed!
Any ideas what the large building is in the background. Wrong direction for Pounds House?
I have been supporting Argyle since the early 50's and and have many books but that is the first time that I have seen this photograph. I reckon the building concerned is close to where the Esso Garage in Outland Road is now situated. I remember when that site was a nursery.
On a map of Plymouth dated 1912 there is a large building known as Outland Mill near to the above location but in a 19933 map this building has gone and Segrave Road and various houses (which I presume are the ones still there now) have appeared. So I would put my money on this being Outland Mill.

I am looking forward to getting this book and hopefuuly seeing other photos which I have not previously seen. :thumbup:

I am not sure whether you are referring to 1933 or 1993 because of a mis-type, but what I do know is that I had 2 cousins who both bought new houses in Segrave Rd, when they wee first built. I cannot recall the exact year but it would have been circa 1960, I think. I hope that helps your identification process.