Home Park, A Pictorial History (In Plymouth? See page 5) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park, A Pictorial History (In Plymouth? See page 5)

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON

Steve Dean

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
An update on the book ... sadly there's been a delay at the printers and Russell has been told to expect them by the end of next week now. I'll post again as soon as he let's me know how to order/get one.

Steve Dean

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Good news: the new book is now on sale, so if you can't wait for the Pasoti draw, you can buy it online at www.imaginedirect.co.uk or by phone on 01752 667766. It's called Home Park, Plymouth - A Pictorial History, and it's the result of many years of research by author and lifelong Argyle fan, Russell Moore. Over 300 pages of photos, most of which you'll never have seen before, and all on high quality paper.

The cost is £25 + £5 p&p in the UK. If ordering from abroad, please call this number for p&p advice.

Copies are expected to be in the club shop on Friday.

These will be the only two outlets. I'm eagerly awaiting the final product having seen a draft, and I can highly recommended it. With a limited print run, and a great deal of interest expressed already, Russell says to make sure you get your copy early!

Steve Dean

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Yes, a very well-deserved review, but with one 'ouch' moment:

"The situation at Home Park was looking bleak until, in 1900 the Argyle Football Club (an offshoot of Argyle Athletic Club founded in 1886) decided to take the lease of the ground."

This is wholly wrong and a surprising statement from an esteemed Plymouth historian. Argyle Athletic club was formed in June 1899 as an umbrella organisation for Argyle Football Club to encourage the practice of all branches of athletics and promoting social contact amongst the members. In addition to the cricket and football teams, classes were formed for swimming and boating, and cycle and other parties were also arranged.

It is simply wrong to say that Argyle Athletic Club was formed in 1886.

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
My Review on this New book .....

It's unique as I have never seen another Argyle book like it with so many Great photos of home park and memories flood back from the old home stadium in 80s and 90s

Love the photos of the redevelopment of home park

Thank you to Russell & all concerned with this book

A real collectors item :thumbs:

Jul 6, 2005
It is a fantastic book which will be of great interest, especially to the older generation of Argyle fans who can remember the ground as it was over the last 50 years or so.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Just received this book, ( a very large thankyou, boss), i cant believe the details in this book, even though i have not been a regular at HP for 50 years, seeing those pictures from the 50's and 60's bring back so many memories. my last visit was Aug 21 2004 and i sat in the Lyndhurst.
I hope to return to HP and see the finished product.

Jan 3, 2013
pastiesforlife":3rjksgf8 said:
Anybody know the game featured on the cover? By the size of the crowd, looks like an early JPT match.

Also the kit looks a lot to be desired (or not).

Nothing much changes at Home Park.

Better than pukey lilac though

Eve

Sep 25, 2011
New Book

Ordered mine a week ago (7 days) from Images, has not arrived yet, wanted in for a Christmas present. I live in the Plymouth area.

Steve Dean

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Eve":2lupcxs9 said:
New Book

Ordered mine a week ago (7 days) from Images, has not arrived yet, wanted in for a Christmas present. I live in the Plymouth area.

Eve, send me a PM with your email and postal addresses and I'll chase it up for you.

Steve

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Picked mine up from the club shop a couple of weeks ago. It's a really good book and interesting to remember all the changes to ground from my first visits during the 1964/65 season. Facilities have improved in many ways with more seating and better toilet facilities but other than not much else and there was a lot to be said for freedom of movement around the ground during the game depending which way we were kicking, rocking up with a few mates on the day of a match and paying at the turnstile and no problem being able to watch the game together, the much larger capacity for the big games and so on. I do think if you were comparing our ground with the national average or if there was a league table for grounds then we have slipped quite a way down the table in my 50 years watching.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
jerryatricjanner":1ngmslvp said:
Picked mine up from the club shop a couple of weeks ago. It's a really good book and interesting to remember all the changes to ground from my first visits during the 1964/65 season. Facilities have improved in many ways with more seating and better toilet facilities but other than not much else and there was a lot to be said for freedom of movement around the ground during the game depending which way we were kicking, rocking up with a few mates on the day of a match and paying at the turnstile and no problem being able to watch the game together, the much larger capacity for the big games and so on. I do think if you were comparing our ground with the national average or if there was a league table for grounds then we have slipped quite a way down the table in my 50 years watching.
And when you first started going the Mayflower Terrace, then known as "the enclosure", was divided in two as the players entered the pitch down some uncovered steps. I think the tunnel was constructed in the summer of 1967. My copy of the book is in a wardrobe upstairs and I will not see it until 25/12. You talk of us slipping behind in your 50 years of watching. Of the teams in the Second Division of 1964/65 11 have new grounds - Northampton, Bolton, Southampton, Huddersfield, Derby, Coventry, Man C, Cardiff, Rotherham, Middlesbrough and Swansea. Charlton Athletic have moved around quite a lot but are now settled back where they were then. Of those 12 I have listed 11 (all except Rotherham) have had at least one season in the top tier since then! Indeed, of the 22 clubs in that season's Second Division only Rotherham and Argyle have never played in the top tier before or since. The Millers' highest ever position was third in the second tier in 1954-55 when they finished level on points with champions Birmingham and runners-up Luton Town, so lost out on goal average!

Eve

Sep 25, 2011
Panic Over!!! :thumbup:

A very kind gentleman has delivered it by hand, my husband is going to love this book.

Looking forward to Boxing Day!

Come on you greens.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: