Home Park, A Pictorial History (In Plymouth? See page 5) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park, A Pictorial History (In Plymouth? See page 5)

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
memory man":2gs58g5q said:
jerryatricjanner":2gs58g5q said:
Picked mine up from the club shop a couple of weeks ago. It's a really good book and interesting to remember all the changes to ground from my first visits during the 1964/65 season. Facilities have improved in many ways with more seating and better toilet facilities but other than not much else and there was a lot to be said for freedom of movement around the ground during the game depending which way we were kicking, rocking up with a few mates on the day of a match and paying at the turnstile and no problem being able to watch the game together, the much larger capacity for the big games and so on. I do think if you were comparing our ground with the national average or if there was a league table for grounds then we have slipped quite a way down the table in my 50 years watching.
And when you first started going the Mayflower Terrace, then known as "the enclosure", was divided in two as the players entered the pitch down some uncovered steps. I think the tunnel was constructed in the summer of 1967. My copy of the book is in a wardrobe upstairs and I will not see it until 25/12. You talk of us slipping behind in your 50 years of watching. Of the teams in the Second Division of 1964/65 11 have new grounds - Northampton, Bolton, Southampton, Huddersfield, Derby, Coventry, Man C, Cardiff, Rotherham, Middlesbrough and Swansea. Charlton Athletic have moved around quite a lot but are now settled back where they were then. Of those 12 I have listed 11 (all except Rotherham) have had at least one season in the top tier since then! Indeed, of the 22 clubs in that season's Second Division only Rotherham and Argyle have never played in the top tier before or since. The Millers' highest ever position was third in the second tier in 1954-55 when they finished level on points with champions Birmingham and runners-up Luton Town, so lost out on goal average!
Mines in the wardrobe too MM, I had a naughty flick through it before it was wrapped. As well as the club's you name many other clubs who used to have inferior grounds to us have now left us behind a bit as well. The first relegation I experienced a couple of years after I started attending our ground was one of the very best in the old 3rd division. Now we might just about get in the top ten for that division.

B

bommer28

2 chances to win this book as it is 3 rd and 4 th prize for the 50 50 prize for the boxing game against yeovil !! You have to be in it to win it !!

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
Lucky enough to be given a copy of this book, a must if you're interested in the history of our club. How Russell Moore got all this info together is a wonder, as others have said, this really is a quality book.

Dec 24, 2015
Bought my copy from the club shop this morning.First thoughts it is superb.Brilliant quality publication no other Argyle book like it.

Dec 2, 2010
Got a copy for Christmas. For all it's faults, is there a more beautifully located major football ground in the country? The inside cover photo is awesome!@

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Not forgetting the excellent Steve Rhodes amongst that list.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Does anybody know if this book is still available from the club shop? Want to get it for my dad, but it doesn't appear to be in the on-line shop. If not, where can I get hold of a copy?

Thanks in advance

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Monster Green":2q70hxr2 said:
Does anybody know if this book is still available from the club shop? Want to get it for my dad, but it doesn't appear to be in the on-line shop. If not, where can I get hold of a copy?

Thanks in advance
Here is a post from earlier in the year from Steve Dean (GOS)

Post subject: Re: Home Park, A Pictorial History - AN UPDATE (no. 2)PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:10 pm
Player Sponsor 16/17

Good news: the new book is now on sale, so if you can't wait for the Pasoti draw, you can buy it online at www.imaginedirect.co.uk or by phone on 01752 667766. It's called Home Park, Plymouth - A Pictorial History, and it's the result of many years of research by author and lifelong Argyle fan, Russell Moore. Over 300 pages of photos, most of which you'll never have seen before, and all on high quality paper.

The cost is £25 + £5 p&p in the UK. If ordering from abroad, please call this number for p&p advice.

Copies are expected to be in the club shop on Friday.

These will be the only two outlets. I'm eagerly awaiting the final product having seen a draft, and I can highly recommended it. With a limited print run, and a great deal of interest expressed already, Russell says to make sure you get your copy early!

Steve Dean

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
And yes, if you're in Plymouth I'm pretty sure the club shop still has a copy or two.

B

bigdavegr84

does anybody know where i can get a copy of this book from for a friends birthday present?

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Would love a copy myself, I did have an Argyle book back in the 80's or 90's I should imagine, I have no idea what happened to it though, but this book looks like it is going to be fantastic

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I'm surprised it had not been reprinted as there appears to be quite a bit of demand for it. I wished I had purchased a copy of it at the time of its release too.