Home Park, A Pictorial History (In Plymouth? See page 5) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park, A Pictorial History (In Plymouth? See page 5)

Feb 28, 2010
Mannamead
I have one of the TEN STEPS START HERE signs.
My dad bought it for me from the club during the demolition of the Old Barn Park end. Paul Sturrock helped him carry it out! And apparently was greatly appreciative of fans wanting to preserve old things being discarded from the old ground.

Obviously like so many others it has a great sentimental value for me as a great memory of old Home Park. Also it has a great reference made to it/them in the great 'Football Grounds' book By
Simon Inglis.

As for the remaining 3 signs? ..... Who knows.

Ps - BRING BACK TRUE ARGYLE GREEN! And only play the proper SEMPER FIDELIS !!

keepthefaith70":2vm5d3xe said:
I have one of the TEN STEPS START HERE signs.
My dad bought it for me from the club during the demolition of the Old Barn Park end. Paul Sturrock helped him carry it out! And apparently was greatly appreciative of fans wanting to preserve old things being discarded from the old ground.

Obviously like so many others it has a great sentimental value for me as a great memory of old Home Park. Also it has a great reference made to it/them in the great 'Football Grounds' book By
Simon Inglis.

As for the remaining 3 signs? ..... Who knows.

Ps - BRING BACK TRUE ARGYLE GREEN! And only play the proper SEMPER FIDELIS !!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :greensmile:

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
GreenArmy1984":2uqw4rzd said:
Do we have a release date yet ?

Russell is expecting 750 copies back from the printers is a couple of weeks and is then handling the sales himself. I believe he's hoping to do it through supporters' groups initially, and depending on how many remain, they should be more widely available. I've given him Pasoti's details (as a supporters' group), although I appreciate that it could be a lot for an online group to take on (I know that I couldn't handle it on GoS). I'll post more as soon as I know.

C

C. Slade

Who would imagine 4 words could evoke such memories. TEN STEPS START HERE.

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Quintrell_Green":1qoedkzo said:
Green as Grass":1qoedkzo said:
memory man":1qoedkzo said:
GreensOnScreen":1qoedkzo said:
pastiesforlife":1qoedkzo said:
Anybody know the game featured on the cover? By the size of the crowd, looks like an early JPT match.

Also the kit looks a lot to be desired (or not).

Nothing much changes at Home Park.

The actual match is a bit of a mystery but that's Jack Leslie playing the ball and there's an earth-banked Devonport End, so that puts it in the 1920s. The stand in the corner is the Spooner Stand. Nothing much changes at Home Park? More like everything has changed!
Any ideas what the large building is in the background. Wrong direction for Pounds House?
I have been supporting Argyle since the early 50's and and have many books but that is the first time that I have seen this photograph. I reckon the building concerned is close to where the Esso Garage in Outland Road is now situated. I remember when that site was a nursery.
On a map of Plymouth dated 1912 there is a large building known as Outland Mill near to the above location but in a 19933 map this building has gone and Segrave Road and various houses (which I presume are the ones still there now) have appeared. So I would put my money on this being Outland Mill.

I am looking forward to getting this book and hopefuuly seeing other photos which I have not previously seen. :thumbup:

I am not sure whether you are referring to 1933 or 1993 because of a mis-type, but what I do know is that I had 2 cousins who both bought new houses in Segrave Rd, when they wee first built. I cannot recall the exact year but it would have been circa 1960, I think. I hope that helps your identification process.
Sorry I did mean 1933. These are the links to the two maps in question which some of you might find interesting. http://maps.nls.uk/view/101445511 (1912 map)

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101445508 (1933 map)

derbygreen

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby
Really interesting to look at those maps and how the city has developed and grown. The ground changed significantly between those two maps. The city centre looked totally different and I guess looked so much better back in the day.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
I've heard from Russell this morning - if the printers meet their deliver expectations, the book should be available for online purchase by the end of next week or early in the following week, and then on general sale soon after that.

I'll post full details as soon as I get them.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
John Eldridge":mppi8xc4 said:
Will the book be available to pre order on the likes of Amazon??
As I said, as soon as I know, I'll post.