Home Park Redevelopment | Page 56 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park Redevelopment

• Thread starter Frazer Lloyd-Davies
  • Start date
B

Baby Face Johnson

IJN":14jrjvjd said:
The height of the new stand cannot exceed that of the Life Centre.

Would the Barr stand, do that?

Graham Clark has the key, if the access could be sorted out and a top approach could be adopted, the horse shoe extension could be a goer.

The traffic around the new HPP development could be a nightmare unless the access is improved.

The new layout as it stands will result in an accident sooner rather than later and it will get a lot worse. It's not helped by the stupid 'pavement' road they have created.

Does that mean that the mooted rebuilding of the Devonport End is a red herring as this would surely have to be mahooosive to increase capacity by any significant degree.

Oct 24, 2010
greenroberts":10qlbjqf said:
The drawing is simply the current Akkeron design, with a few tweaks to raise the roof to accommodate a full second tier, and some extra steelwork to support the roof without columns obstructing the second tier which would not be acceptable on a modern stadium. My intention was to attempt to show what could be done to achieve an acceptable solution (to me), without massive additional costs, and without effecting the rest of the planned development.
Whilst I don't know the exact height of the existing stand I believe it is in excess of 20m so this would not represent a huge change from what is there already. I believe the issue of planning is probably a red herring, perhaps used to try and justify the "mean" proportions of the current scheme on the table. Considering the existing stand and adjacent life centre building are already tall buildings, and the proposed scale of developments already in the vicinity, given the importance of the development to so many people in Plymouth, and the fact there is already a stand at the same location, it would be very difficult for the planners to reject.
Also it is fair to say the stand would be impressive as opposed to imposing and as you say if the existing stand is 20m high it wouldn't be a huge increase. The next question is whether the scheme is viable enough to provide the funds to cover the additional costs, extending the development into Cottage Field would, presumably,resolve that

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
This is what I don't understand

The majority who are against this build are saying that 17,500 is too small for their ambitions for the club. Well if that is true, why are there no calls for 30,000?

If your ambition is the nPC then 17,500 will probably suffice. If your ambition is Premier League then it has to be 30,000.

22,000 - 25,000 is right in the middle of the deep blue sea. It seems to be more of an ego figure than an ambitions figure.

B

Baby Face Johnson

Lundan Cabbie":ch3qxeyf said:

The majority who are against this build are saying that 17,500 is too small for their ambitions for the club. Well if that is true, why are there no calls for 30,000?

If your ambition is the nPC then 17,500 will probably suffice. If your ambition is Premier League then it has to be 30,000.

22,000 - 25,000 is right in the middle of the deep blue sea. It seems to be more of an ego figure than an ambitions figure.

To be fair, i think those against the 17500 are calling for something around the 20-22000 mark, initially but the big issue for me is to have a realistic possibility of extending the capacity in the future. We know the money isn't there for a 30000 capacity now, nor should we expect it to be.

Oct 24, 2010
IJN":jgeijecl said:
The height of the new stand cannot exceed that of the Life Centre.

Would the Barr stand, do that?

Graham Clark has the key, if the access could be sorted out and a top approach could be adopted, the horse shoe extension could be a goer.

The traffic around the new HPP development could be a nightmare unless the access is improved.

The new layout as it stands will result in an accident sooner rather than later and it will get a lot worse. It's not helped by the stupid 'pavement' road they have created.
I expect it would exceed the height of the Life Centre, we would have to change the Planners minds for them. It's just an arbitrary restriction.

Although the access is an issue which needs to be addressed any extension to the horseshoe would be years into the future, probably not until we are well established in the Premier League, I suggest we worry about that when the time comes. Roads can always be re-routed and I'm sure greenroberts, our resident structural engineer, can come up with a solution, maybe with the second tier of the Lyndhurst bridging over the road.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Baby Hair Johnson":320fziby said:
Lundan Cabbie":320fziby said:

To be fair, i think those against the 17500 are calling for something around the 20-22000 mark, initially but the big issue for me is to have a realistic possibility of extending the capacity in the future. We know the money isn't there for a 30000 capacity now, nor should we expect it to be.

If the club were to get and stay in the Premier League then a complete re-build would probably be needed or a new stadium elsewhere.

Lots of people are quoting Reading, Brighton, Hull and Swansea for making stadium plans whilst in the lower leagues. Not one of these redeveloped their old stadiums.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Baby Hair Johnson":20762th4 said:
Lundan Cabbie":20762th4 said:

:iagree: It's not so much the fact we're not getting a 20,000 seater straight off the bat, a 17,500 will do us for years to come I expect, especially at this level and league one, but the fact that will be our limit for ever and a day, with no possibility to expand because of the ice rink or whatever, really isn't good enough. We've lost before we've even started if we do build without room for expansion.

B

Baby Face Johnson

Lundan Cabbie":3lx33ppx said:
Baby Hair Johnson":3lx33ppx said:
Lundan Cabbie":3lx33ppx said:

If the club were to get and stay in the Premier League then a complete re-build would probably be needed or a new stadium elsewhere.

Lots of people are quoting Reading, Brighton, Hull and Swansea for making stadium plans whilst in the lower leagues. Not one of these redeveloped their old stadiums.

Fair point.

derbygreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby

Lots of people are quoting Reading, Brighton, Hull and Swansea for making stadium plans whilst in the lower leagues. Not one of these redeveloped their old stadiums.[/quote]

Fair point.[/quote]

The thing is there can't be many clubs that could so easy expand due to being surrounded by houses or in a built up area. Home Park can at present be expanded easily.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Liam Vercoe":1vq29rvl said:
Baby Hair Johnson":1vq29rvl said:
Lundan Cabbie":1vq29rvl said:

That's how I see it as well. Just an extra 2-2,500 would appease the vast majority of those disappointed with the proposal keeping at or very close to 20,000. The minimum should be 17,5000 with it being built to facilitate(make it easy) to expand in the future. As Mr Brent indicated only last April, he hoped it would be c20,000 and easy to extend in the future. The current feeling is we will get what is on the table and that's it for ever and a day in reality.
:iagree: It's not so much the fact we're not getting a 20,000 seater straight off the bat, a 17,500 will do us for years to come I expect, especially at this level and league one, but the fact that will be our limit for ever and a day, with no possibility to expand because of the ice rink or whatever, really isn't good enough. We've lost before we've even started if we do build without room for expansion.

B

bandwagon

I'm sure I have'nt seen anyone other than the Cabbie even mentioning 30k - I thought the bulk of the fans were being sensible at 20k 'ish, for me this has been a PR blunder by the club and has got peoples backs up instead of being right behind the plans!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I'll be long gone, but for you young'uns out there - unless this build is done now and properly, it'll never happen!!

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
I believe LC is pointing out that if we ever were to reach the Prem then 20-25000 will not be sufficient and the only likely solution to that problem is a re-build elsewhere.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Lundan Cabbie":220nvwsa said:

That's because I think a very small minority are outlining the Premier League as a mid-term ambition. As the statistics have suggested, we've had numerous 17,500+ gates over the last 10 years however it's hard to determine whether we'd have got 30000+ for the games versus Leeds, West Ham, Everton, Watford and QPR when we sold out.

Jul 25, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":3jxj56xp said:

Virtually no ones mentioned a 22,000-25,000 capacity, where are you getting this from?
By far the general consensus is for a 20,000 capacity.

Jul 25, 2011
Fergy":2zbrbtqi said:
Lundan Cabbie":2zbrbtqi said:

That's because I think a very small minority are outlining the Premier League as a mid-term ambition. As the statistics have suggested, we've had numerous 17,500+ gates over the last 10 years however it's hard to determine whether we'd have got 30000+ for the games versus Leeds, West Ham, Everton, Watford and QPR when we sold out.
A great example is the official 40,000 ticket enquires for the qpr game in league one.