Home Park Redevelopment | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park Redevelopment

• Thread starter Frazer Lloyd-Davies
  • Start date

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
love_walrus":39zgffc4 said:
Cant be bothered to read all of this, but just want to say, think this can only be good for us. People who say about not having a cinema etc have got to see that this is what brings about the funding for the club to get a new grandstand, facilities and other plus points. Will be gutted if we go down, but if it happens,it happens!! Take a look at our surroundings now and this can only be an improvement, we are long overdue a bloody good tidy up around the ground. Tin hat on........but if it takes better facilities to get better players then its a price that I think we should be willing to play! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Agreed.

I'd suggest there are 3 or 4 things on players' minds when thinking about a move, and they aren't so different to anyone else looking to change job:

Earnings/Rewards package
Relative chances of success
Facilities
Probably in that order.

This is very good news.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Graham Evans":3to83jma said:
20,000 sounds about right and the plans look pretty good.As yet i have not had time to read the article , is there any metion of where the extra punters are going to park?

Work could start in September, and the whole £50million project would be finished about 20 months later, he said.
The first phase will see a 400-space car park built on the existing car park and Argyle offices, and under the present Mayflower stand.
The new stand and a 1,500-seat ice arena will be built above the car park. Mr Brent said he hoped they would be completed by the end of 2014.

L

love_walrus

djg145":3nnz2i2b said:
I would much sooner have HP as it is and have a football team to be proud of and in the Football League.

People seem to think we have a god given right, if we go down, to get promoted lol

We thought that when we got relegated from the Championship, oh and the 1st Division, that worked well didn't it.

We MUST fight and give every ounce of effort to keep this Club in the Football League.

There are plenty of 'ex football league' teams in the BSP and some further down, I bet they thought, oh this will be easy to be promoted back to the Football League.

This Club is in meltdown and all our owner is thinking about is building a hotel, cinema, ice rink, shops, bars and whatever.

As a supporter of PLYMOUTH ARGYLE FOOTBALL CLUB, I want to see the building of a TEAM.
Not saying that we have a right to play in the FL but the hotel,cinema,ice rink etc are the things that can help us acheive future sustainability! Not saying which is right or wrong but as an owner/developer surely no one can blame him to do what he wants with his money!!! At the end of the day, we had our time in the Championship,where did that get us. We are now dealing with a different set of cards, the Chairman is doing his job, and unfortunately its the past manager and certain players who have let up on their end of the bargain!!

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

Frank_Butcher":18dfwpat said:
love_walrus":18dfwpat said:
Cant be bothered to read all of this, but just want to say, think this can only be good for us. People who say about not having a cinema etc have got to see that this is what brings about the funding for the club to get a new grandstand, facilities and other plus points. Will be gutted if we go down, but if it happens,it happens!! Take a look at our surroundings now and this can only be an improvement, we are long overdue a bloody good tidy up around the ground. Tin hat on........but if it takes better facilities to get better players then its a price that I think we should be willing to play! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Agreed.

I'd suggest there are 3 or 4 things on players' minds when thinking about a move, and they aren't so different to anyone else looking to change job:

Earnings/Rewards package
Facilities
Probably in that order.

This is very good news.

Apart from the obvious, division of the football club.

It won't matter an ounce to players whether a club has a cinema or an ice rink.

"Yeah sure we play Non League football Mr. Potential New Signing but once the game is over you can ice skate until your heart's content!"

And anyway, in comparison to our current opposition is Home Park really that bad? We can't fill Home Park and we haven't in years. Even in the Championship we failed and we are years off that. Why are we all assuming we will definitely return too?

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
The only aspect I'm concerned about is the no mention of capacity and the very bland looking sketches of the new grandstand. I was hoping the Grandstand would look something like Stoke City's West Stand which can accommodate 7,359 which would bump the overall capacity up to circa 22000-23000.

59958-1.jpg

Feb 21, 2008
I wonder if Swansea fans in 2003 in div 4 when they finished above exeter just avoiding relegation to the conference leagues were bitching about the new ground they were about to build, or did they embrace it as a new start and then fight through the leagues to the prem within 10 yrs!

There are so many similarities its maddening the difference being some of our fans inability to see beyond this season, the liberty was started in 2003 and they had struggled on and off the pitch for a fair time so they were by no means safe when the plans went in or the ground was started, even the figure for the site built on was £50 million(proposed higher home park development £50 million)

I think if we stay up or go down we will then have the infrastructure and potential earning as well as ground that won't scare of potential signings before they put pen to paper and then hopefully success will follow.

Jul 29, 2010
djg145":1y82zooh said:
A stadium to be proud of lol, I would much sooner have a TEAM to be proud of!!!!

What little imagination you (and many of your luddite small picture gazing friends) have. I want both, why wouldn't you?

If top facilities can bring top football then why respond in such sniffy and dismissive ways as you miserable old gits have done throughout this thread.

I doubt many of you have actually bothered to read the full article. JB addresses the football v development question head on. It's to be a classic virtuous circle - increased stadium revenue goes to increased football investment then better football attracts more people and thus increases stadium revenue again. Why are you all being so f**king obtuse about that simple concept?

Argyle has always been a boom and bust football club because when times are good it's because a rich individual puts money in, we then become all fur coat and no knickers meaning when the individual gets bored or hits hard times we have NOTHING to fall back on.

This development allows growth, slow, meaningful and sustainable growth. That's proper growth, not the "blow umpty thrumpty millions on a Julio Goalio" growth you weak willed impatient numpties crave.

Deal with it, this way is the right way, the prudent way, the sensible way. It's not as if your 'throw money at it' way has historically worked so terrifically to date is it :facepalm:

B

Baby Face Johnson

richy2704":2qq7676v said:
I wonder if Swansea fans in 2003 in div 4 when they finished above exeter just avoiding relegation to the conference leagues were bitching about the new ground they were about to build, or did they embrace it as a new start and then fight through the leagues to the prem within 10 yrs!

There are so many similarities its maddening the difference being some of our fans inability to see beyond this season, the liberty was started in 2003 and they had struggled on and off the pitch for a fair time so they were by no means safe when the plans went in or the ground was started, even the figure for the site built on was £50 million(proposed higher home park development £50 million)

I think if we stay up or go down we will then have the infrastructure and potential earning as well as ground that won't scare of potential signings before they put pen to paper and then hopefully success will follow.

They are regretting not building it bigger now though, when they had the chance, although granted, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I'm completely happy with the idea of this kind of development happening in Plymouth. It is exactly what the city needs.

However, I think what people have to realise/remember is that the bulk of this development really has nothing to do with Plymouth Argyle Football Club apart from being an investment that, in the end, will provide the revenue to pay James Brent back all the money has has had to put into the club so far. In many ways you can see ownership of Argyle as being the price James Brent had to pay for the opportunity to acquire the land for the wider development.

Obviously, in the end the club will get a modest new Grandstand that will bring some opportunity to generate additional revenue which is, of course, a good thing. But the bulk of the revenue generated by the development, from the cinemas, hotel, retail and food outlets isn't anything to do with Argyle.

Jul 29, 2010
Mike Greening":2nk851pm said:
Pafcintheplace":2nk851pm said:
ming the merciless":2nk851pm said:
damon.green":2nk851pm said:
A lot of concern about the capacity, but I don't see it as a problem. How often are we going to get attendances of say 17k+?
If we have room for expansion, then for me, there's no issue.

I'm really hoping this happens - and this time, I think it will happen.

Never Damon. They won't fit in. Even if we get to the championship our average crowd will be limited as we won't be able to get the handful of bigger crowds to drag the average upwards. If that sketch is anywhere near right it looks like total seating of around 16,000. I hope not. They might as well buy some of that temporary seating we had before and make do with that until someone who will do it properly comes along.

:iagree:

If you want to keep Argyle back in the dark ages about time you arrived on horseback. Grow up and look to hopefully a better future. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

:iagree:

Dec 3, 2005
X Isle":1k0ooxvx said:
djg145":1k0ooxvx said:
A stadium to be proud of lol, I would much sooner have a TEAM to be proud of!!!!

What little imagination you (and many of your luddite small picture gazing friends) have. I want both, why wouldn't you?

If top facilities can bring top football then why respond in such sniffy and dismissive ways as you miserable old gits have done throughout this thread.

I doubt many of you have actually bothered to read the full article. JB addresses the football v development question head on. It's to be a classic virtuous circle - increased stadium revenue goes to increased football investment then better football attracts more people and thus increases stadium revenue again. Why are you all being so f**king obtuse about that simple concept?

Argyle has always been a boom and bust football club because when times are good it's because a rich individual puts money in, we then become all fur coat and no knickers meaning when the individual gets bored or hits hard times we have NOTHING to fall back on.

This development allows growth, slow, meaningful and sustainable growth. That's proper growth, not the "blow umpty thrumpty millions on a Julio Goalio" growth you weak willed impatient numpties crave.

Deal with it, this way is the right way, the prudent way, the sensible way. It's not as if your 'throw money at it' way has historically worked so terrifically to date is it :facepalm:

Oooh don't get personal will you!!!!

In the ideal world, yes both, but at this moment in time I would want the TEAM. If thats ok with u sir lol

Who the hell do you think YOU are, I don't agree with everything you say , some I do, but I do NOT get personal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

Feb 21, 2008
Baby Hair Johnson":p6gc8w72 said:
richy2704":p6gc8w72 said:

They are regretting not building it bigger now though, when they had the chance, although granted, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

They have expansion plans in place to increase capacity to 32500, our stadium I believe reading somewhere that it is designed so that you can add on to the lyndhurst, devonport and bar park ends so get the Mayflower developed and then if we get to a level that requires additional seating then it is possible.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Lloyd-Davies14":3gx4r6qh said:
Frank_Butcher":3gx4r6qh said:
Agreed.

Earnings/Rewards package
Facilities
Probably in that order.

This is very good news.

Apart from the obvious, division of the football club.

It won't matter an ounce to players whether a club has a cinema or an ice rink.

"Yeah sure we play Non League football Mr. Potential New Signing but once the game is over you can ice skate until your heart's content!"

And anyway, in comparison to our current opposition is Home Park really that bad? We can't fill Home Park and we haven't in years. Even in the Championship we failed and we are years off that. Why are we all assuming we will definitely return too?

Your first point falls into my 'relative chances of success' category.

Your second point ignores the poor impression that our changing room areas, Grandstand/wasteland etc purvey at this present time. The development itself maybe separated the from the football club but it gives a positive impression to any prospective employee. It's all part of the package and feel of any work opportunity.

Having been in a position of hiring professionals (not football related), it's obvious to me that facilities matter - not perhaps the most important thing, but they matter a lot.

Jan 29, 2006
Canterbury
Fergy":63fcfgl4 said:
The only aspect I'm concerned about is the no mention of capacity and the very bland looking sketches of the new grandstand. I was hoping the Grandstand would look something like Stoke City's West Stand which can accommodate 7,359 which would bump the overall capacity up to circa 22000-23000.

59958-1.jpg

If Argyle could have a green version of that stand I'd be very happy!

Sadly I think we're gona be looking at a 5k minimalist construction.

But to reiterate X Isle's point - the one or other arguement doesn't hold up. The stand isn't going to cost Argyle a penny so won't effect playing budget, and it won't distract the players from fighting relegation because they won't be thinking about new stand after they've crossed the white line.