#incoming! (Luke McCormick signs) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

#incoming! (Luke McCormick signs)

Nov 18, 2011
Looks like that some posters feel we should have signed Allison as our back up keeper ;)

Welcome back Luke, this signing makes plenty of sense to me.
Luke's distribution always seemed decent, it was certainly his biggest plus point over Romain Larrieu when comparing the two.

Jul 12, 2016
katkin":2iwg0cnz said:
Herts_Green":2iwg0cnz said:
oldage":2iwg0cnz said:
Herts_Green":2iwg0cnz said:
Martyn":2iwg0cnz said:
Personally, don’t like this signing.

Gives out a wrong message, I know he will be probably backup, (hopefully), but it seems totally underwhelming.

Would prefer another loan goalkeeper from a prem side, and give Cooper another year progressing.
Cooper won’t progress unless he gets some games, it’s time to give him a chance. There’s literally no point using resources on a reserve keeper when money is tight. McCormick will no doubt end up replacing Wilmot as goalkeeper coach too. This move makes perfect sense to me.
Personally I agree it gives out the wrong message.I was in two minds about a season ticket. I won't be bothering now.
You’re obviously entitled to your opinion but not buying a season ticket because of the reserve keeper we have signed seems very odd indeed to me.

guess it leaves more space for the rest of us!
You're welcome to it!

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Voice_of_Reason":b3s50n5n said:
Jeez, what a welcome for one of the best keepers the club has ever had.

He wont be first choice, he wont cost alot (which in todays climate is a harsh reality of running a football club) - he is here to grow a young lad who the club has high hopes for, who knows but just maybe Cooper might be worth several million pounds to us in a few years time - the sort of diamond a club like ours has to cherish and do what it can to look after - this signing is exactly that.

Welcome back Luke, on the field someone who has done all he can for Argyle.

100% agree with you. This is actually quite a bold and smart move by Lowe. Firstly it is clear he is saying to Cooper you are our #1. That will give the young lad confidence. Secondly it is going to help us develop our own home grown keeper that could be ours for years to come or if he is really good we make a tidy profit if he plays well.

So the strategy by Lowe is who do we get in to be #2 and sit on the bench a lot, travel 12,000 miles in the season, be a good bloke, not moan about not playing and still be happy? IMHO Luke is the perfect candidate for this as he can also add value through his experience, he cares about the club, plus he brings leadership to the changing room. And to top it all off he is probably relatively inexpensive which is important right now. We can then spend money on other positions (eg Hardie)

I think our job is support both keepers when they play as Cooper is young and will undoubtedly make mistakes. Luke is probably past his best but will be ok for a stop gap when needed. And as one poster mentioned if they both have bad seasons or injuries then there is always the emergency loan market.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
The only disappointment here is that it confirms Alex Palmer will not be coming back, but that was always unlikely considering how much his stock has risen, and he could well be challenging Sam Johnstone for his position at West Brom in the Premier League next season.
Very pleased to welcome Luke back for a 3rd time. Cooper now has 2 vastly experienced goalkeepers (Wilmot being the other) to learn from.

Oct 10, 2012
Martyn":3gw7lm5n said:
WoodsyGreen":3gw7lm5n said:
Very disappointed in the club for bringing this guy back again. We don't need to rake over old coals and I won't here, but I didn't want him back the first time and I'm amazed there aren't better options out there.

This is Lowe's first duff signing for me and a blot in his copybook. Disappointed.

Totally agree with the above, their must be better options out there, in the current climate.

Jesus Christ. Of course there are better keepers out there but probably not many who are happy to come all the way to Devon and probably not make a single appearance all season on what I’d imagine will be low wages too.

Jul 12, 2016
Herts_Green":1gicrzbd said:
oldage":1gicrzbd said:
Herts_Green":1gicrzbd said:
Martyn":1gicrzbd said:
Personally, don’t like this signing.

Gives out a wrong message, I know he will be probably backup, (hopefully), but it seems totally underwhelming.

Would prefer another loan goalkeeper from a prem side, and give Cooper another year progressing.
Cooper won’t progress unless he gets some games, it’s time to give him a chance. There’s literally no point using resources on a reserve keeper when money is tight. McCormick will no doubt end up replacing Wilmot as goalkeeper coach too. This move makes perfect sense to me.
Personally I agree it gives out the wrong message.I was in two minds about a season ticket. I won't be bothering now.
You’re obviously entitled to your opinion but not buying a season ticket because of the reserve keeper we have signed seems very odd indeed to me.
I said I was in two minds but the resigning of McCormick is the final straw.There are more important things in life than football and what with the covid situation and now this signing I think I'll give it a miss.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I was only reading about the Chelsea 21 year old Luke McCormick yesterday and when I saw this thread title I thought Argyle has picked up him.

Old LMc does seem to be a sensible move although I normally stick with “never go back”

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
oldage":1llnv2n8 said:
I said I was in two minds but the resigning of McCormick is the final straw. There are more important things in life than football and what with the covid situation and now this signing I think I'll give it a miss.

Whatever

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Covid I understand but throwing your toys out over a reserve goalkeeper, omg get a grip

C

Cult Of Personality

Good back up for Cooper can teach him a thing or two.

stewthenoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 24, 2005
YELVERTON
Koala Green":37ioniys said:
Voice_of_Reason":37ioniys said:
Jeez, what a welcome for one of the best keepers the club has ever had.

He wont be first choice, he wont cost alot (which in todays climate is a harsh reality of running a football club) - he is here to grow a young lad who the club has high hopes for, who knows but just maybe Cooper might be worth several million pounds to us in a few years time - the sort of diamond a club like ours has to cherish and do what it can to look after - this signing is exactly that.

Welcome back Luke, on the field someone who has done all he can for Argyle.

100% agree with you. This is actually quite a bold and smart move by Lowe. Firstly it is clear he is saying to Cooper you are our #1. That will give the young lad confidence. Secondly it is going to help us develop our own home grown keeper that could be ours for years to come or if he is really good we make a tidy profit if he plays well.

So the strategy by Lowe is who do we get in to be #2 and sit on the bench a lot, travel 12,000 miles in the season, be a good bloke, not moan about not playing and still be happy? IMHO Luke is the perfect candidate for this as he can also add value through his experience, he cares about the club, plus he brings leadership to the changing room. And to top it all off he is probably relatively inexpensive which is important right now. We can then spend money on other positions (eg Hardie)

I think our job is support both keepers when they play as Cooper is young and will undoubtedly make mistakes. Luke is probably past his best but will be ok for a stop gap when needed. And as one poster mentioned if they both have bad seasons or injuries then there is always the emergency loan market.

:iagree: This for me, 100%. Nail. Head

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
No brainer.

Probably a very cheap backup providing Luke with some coaching experience and young cooper with a mentor and support.

Win win.

May 8, 2011
One positive thing from the current situation is that at least the first few games will be behind closed doors so Cooper won’t have to endure any away fans trying to unnerve him.
Personally I think last year was a wasted year for Cooper as he should have been first choice, but events happen and plans go out the window.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
As someone who is normally 'half-empty' on most team matters, I think this is a good signing and something which I advocated several weeks ago when it became apparent that Cooper was going to be the starting keeper this season.

The time has come when Cooper has to start so the obvious thing to do for back-up was to sign an older, experienced Keeper who is happy to sit on the bench for most games but who will also act as a mentor to a good young Keeper.

I am astonished at the negative reaction on here.

Money is tight and we have to be pragmatic, we certainly cannot afford the Adams philosophy of 2 players for each position.