It's not just about results. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

It's not just about results.

Feb 2, 2007
David_Fisher":280bj7n1 said:
HC Green":280bj7n1 said:
I thought people didn’t like Adams as manager because Argyle played defensively and didn’t play attacking football so the football was boring.

Another day, another reason to have a moan.

I can just about put up with the Adams "style" if it's combined with good results.

But the Adams "style" combined with cr@p results gives me no pleasure whatsoever.

Well summarised David. Adams generally sets up negatively and to "stop" the opposition so when this doesn't work it ends up being a poor spectacle. Yesterday's supposed entertainment came from incompetence on the part of both teams rather than any wonderous attacking philosophy that Adams had instigated. If anything the starting line up was more negative than usual.

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":1wa8wx27 said:
PL2 3DQ":1wa8wx27 said:
The refurb of the grandstand is needed and the money generated from the corporate and function areas is welcome and will drive the club forward but the core business of any football club is ..... err football!

We are about to enter a critical stage of the season with several games in a short space of time and the opening of the transfer window.
I hope the directors recognise we are a football club first and foremost and financially back Derek Adams in the transfer window.

The average attendance from the first 11 home games this season is higher than at the same stage last season and our highest since the Championship days, at the 11 game stage, so the fans have backed the club despite a struggling season so far.

The refurbished grandstand is for the future, in the here and now our football team needs help.

We just need to stay up this season while we adjust to the changing off-field environment.

In five years time we will have settled to the new training facilities and a fully redeveloped Mayflower making increased off-pitch revenue. The manager's budget by then might be a lot more competitive than it currently is. Maybe then Adams, Brent and Hallett might receive some credit for the juggling act they have taken on, building and developing the club over their tenure and not just the first eleven.

No problem boys and girls then. 8 years of struggle after administration but Knibsworth reckons in 5 years time everything will be fine and dandy!

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Balham_Green":2r1xaayl said:
Knibbsworth":2r1xaayl said:
PL2 3DQ":2r1xaayl said:
The refurb of the grandstand is needed and the money generated from the corporate and function areas is welcome and will drive the club forward but the core business of any football club is ..... err football!

We are about to enter a critical stage of the season with several games in a short space of time and the opening of the transfer window.
I hope the directors recognise we are a football club first and foremost and financially back Derek Adams in the transfer window.

The average attendance from the first 11 home games this season is higher than at the same stage last season and our highest since the Championship days, at the 11 game stage, so the fans have backed the club despite a struggling season so far.

The refurbished grandstand is for the future, in the here and now our football team needs help.

We just need to stay up this season while we adjust to the changing off-field environment.

In five years time we will have settled to the new training facilities and a fully redeveloped Mayflower making increased off-pitch revenue. The manager's budget by then might be a lot more competitive than it currently is. Maybe then Adams, Brent and Hallett might receive some credit for the juggling act they have taken on, building and developing the club over their tenure and not just the first eleven.

No problem boys and girls then. 8 years of struggle after administration but Knibsworth reckons in 5 years time everything will be fine and dandy!

So it’s a better option to do nothing and struggle indefinitely?

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":3kr7qmqt said:
PL2 3DQ":3kr7qmqt said:

As usual with Argyle, jam tomorrow.

Another 5 years of this cr@p, count me out of that.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Not all about results?

Not all about the taste says the chef

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
HC Green":3o8x5bbu said:
I thought people didn’t like Adams as manager because Argyle played defensively and didn’t play attacking football so the football was boring.

Another day, another reason to have a moan.
I made this point to a friend yesterday. Adams received a lot of criticism re. boring style of football in previous seasons, but that certainly can't be directed towards him now. We're probably too attacking as a team right now. For the neutral, some of our games this season must have been fantastic to watch. I'm sure I speak for most Argyle fans though when I say I'd rather see a 1-0 win than a 3-3 draw.

Mar 23, 2013
nikkk":ds170y1y said:
Our new majority shareholder .... Proud Plymothian and lifelong Argyle fan ..... on Radio Devon today ...

"It's not just about results"

Umm yes Simon, it's absolutely, 100% about the first team winning and nothing else to us mate.

I’m afraid this guy is as clueless as Adams....they are both out of there depth and will cling to each other and take us down doing so.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
We had several people coming on here and saying the best form of defence is attack, and we should just try and play to our strengths and outscore the opposotion.

Hopefully they can now see the team needs to be built on a strong defence, and that needs to be sorted first.

Aug 5, 2016
Balham_Green":3391b6n2 said:
Knibbsworth":3391b6n2 said:
PL2 3DQ":3391b6n2 said:

It says a lot about yourself if you consider a Wembley final, home and away sellouts against Liverpool and a promotion season as continuous 'years of struggle', while the club was balancing the books, making profits and reducing debt to boot while investing in facilities and infrastructure.

A bit dramatic to lump Adams tenure in with Reid and Fletcher, and disrespectful to those managers and the challenges they faced at the same time. That was real struggle, playing out of their depth youth teamers and hands tied by transfer embargo. Last season showed we are only two loan signings away from swapping a relegation scrap for promotion form. January will be important, we could quite conceivably finish midtable yet, but no doubt you will still insist these are the worst years the club has ever faced.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":22x9qazv said:
PL2 3DQ":22x9qazv said:

I see, so the lack of success and defensive ability is down to the demolition/replacement of the off field environment and the highly motivated players and coaching staff need 5 years to "settle" to the new training facilities. I had a new kitchen fitted some 8 years ago and my chips have never fried the same since. Obvious now! :twisted:

May 1, 2011
Knibbsworth":zrjzipi3 said:
Balham_Green":zrjzipi3 said:
Knibbsworth":zrjzipi3 said:
PL2 3DQ":zrjzipi3 said:

It says a lot about yourself if you consider a Wembley final, home and away sellouts against Liverpool and a promotion season as continuous 'years of struggle', while the club was balancing the books, making profits and reducing debt to boot while investing in facilities and infrastructure.

A bit dramatic to lump Adams tenure in with Reid and Fletcher, and disrespectful to those managers and the challenges they faced at the same time. That was real struggle, playing out of their depth youth teamers and hands tied by transfer embargo. Last season showed we are only two loan signings away from swapping a relegation scrap for promotion form. January will be important, we could quite conceivably finish midtable yet, but no doubt you will still insist these are the worst years the club has ever faced.

The Wembley final was not an achievement, we were 10 points clear at one point and then we completely blew it which is why we ended up in the playoffs. We then blew that as with a shambolic display, Wembley was a terrible day and I'd rather it was forgotten about instead of lauded as an achievement.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Football is about tribalism, passion winning football matches, not hard luck old chap, jolly hockey sticks better luck next time.

We are a football club.

Jul 12, 2016
To me our Wembley embarrassment set the tone for Adams tenure. Gives the fans hope than when it really matters we fall short of glory.Football is a results business and I agree to lose at Wembley was an experience to be forgotten.

May 8, 2011
oldage":3kzp4193 said:
To me our Wembley embarrassment set the tone for Adams tenure. Gives the fans hope than when it really matters we fall short of glory.Football is a results business and I agree to lose at Wembley was an experience to be forgotten.

I could counter that by saying the experience on the final whistle at Anfield and at Crawley wont be forgotten.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Football is a RESULTS business.

Its ALL about results !!

Ask a Spurs or Arsenal fan about their trophy cabinets and they are not about to get RELEGATED into div 4