It's not just about results. | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

It's not just about results.

Oct 31, 2015
Knibbsworth":fai0e6ek said:
Balham_Green":fai0e6ek said:
r4h4al":fai0e6ek said:
Of course it's a success especially as it only happens every 20 years.

Such low aspirations if you think missing out on automatics followed being outplayed at Wembley by a small team counts as success.

They were hardly a small team, Tom Elliott is 6' 4" and Akinfenwa is no dwarf.

:) :) :)

Mar 23, 2013
Quintrell_Green":1doey61e said:
finegreen":1doey61e said:
Adams is out of his depth....heā€™s deluded...he has no idea what team to play...heā€™s arrogant...heā€™s stubborn...he brings in more sh#te players than good ......he has a 5 year deal....his head is firmly up the chairmanā€™s arse and staying there.....so itā€™s safe to say heā€™s definitely taking us down.......but thatā€™s ok because he has got us promotion from league 2 before so he can do it again.......itā€™s safe to say I want him out and never wanted him in....heā€™s a clown.

I am out of breath reading that sentence.

I was out of breath writing it :crazy: :crazy: ......but I damn well meant every word of it.

dunlop

šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Nov 17, 2009
GreenThing":e73u4hs3 said:
Balham_Green":e73u4hs3 said:
r4h4al":e73u4hs3 said:

Such low aspirations if you think missing out on automatics followed being outplayed at Wembley by a small team counts as success.

When I started going to Argyle in the 80ā€™s, I started going with no expectations. Everyone knew Argyle are crap, but theyā€™re our team. I had no expectations at all, but we went along hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I still go along hoping to be successful but not expecting anything. With this in mind, the success under Sturrock came as a complete surprise to me.

Someone said on another thread that football and supporting football has changed and I agree. With the amount of televised football and the depth of analysis has made the level of scrutiny rocket and with that the amount of criticism has also gone skywards. People have high expectations and get angry when those expectations are not met.

Personally I prefer the old way of supporting your team. No expectations and anything better is a bonus, but it seems Iā€™m one of a dying breed.

So going back to the success of Wembley, no it wasnā€™t a success but it was a day out which doesnā€™t come along very often and I wasnā€™t too disappointed as I didnā€™t expect anything else.

I bet you were really competitive at tiddly winks.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
dunlop":vqmk6o5f said:
GreenThing":vqmk6o5f said:
Balham_Green":vqmk6o5f said:
r4h4al":vqmk6o5f said:

When I started going to Argyle in the 80ā€™s, I started going with no expectations. Everyone knew Argyle are crap, but theyā€™re our team. I had no expectations at all, but we went along hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I still go along hoping to be successful but not expecting anything. With this in mind, the success under Sturrock came as a complete surprise to me.

Someone said on another thread that football and supporting football has changed and I agree. With the amount of televised football and the depth of analysis has made the level of scrutiny rocket and with that the amount of criticism has also gone skywards. People have high expectations and get angry when those expectations are not met.

Personally I prefer the old way of supporting your team. No expectations and anything better is a bonus, but it seems Iā€™m one of a dying breed.

So going back to the success of Wembley, no it wasnā€™t a success but it was a day out which doesnā€™t come along very often and I wasnā€™t too disappointed as I didnā€™t expect anything else.

I bet you were really competitive at tiddly winks.

Thatā€™s not the first time Iā€™ve been called a winker!

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Balham_Green":1n9dame8 said:
r4h4al":1n9dame8 said:

Not really because we're a small team ourselves probably a smaller team in reality, because Wimbledon have won the FA Cup and have a better history, and because of how good the day out was to me means it was a success.

up the line

šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Ah so a good day out classes as football success. I get it now. In that case the pre season friendly at Tavistock qualifies as unmitigated success: great day out.

Seriously though, anyone who thinks that utter catastrophe at Wembley qualifies as success is beyond help. Getting to and remaining in the championship for the best part of a decade is success. But then because Adams says he's so successful so often enough schmucks believe it

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
up_the_line":1gi42gwf said:
Ah so a good day out classes as football success. I get it now. In that case the pre season friendly at Tavistock qualifies as unmitigated success: great day out.

Seriously though, anyone who thinks that utter catastrophe at Wembley qualifies as success is beyond help. Getting to and remaining in the championship for the best part of a decade is success. But then because Adams says he's so successful so often enough schmucks believe it

How can watching your team play like that be a 'good day out'?? :think:
We were, from nowhere, into the promotion places. Staying there and going up would be 'success' :scarf: , dropping back down again and surrendering promotion at Wembley was a complete and utter failure!! :facepalm:

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
up_the_line":1xigjxy8 said:
Ah so a good day out classes as football success. I get it now.

No, you obviously donā€™t get it. To some, supporting Argyle is about more than success alone.

No need for the ā€˜schmuckā€™ jibe, either.

Oct 16, 2016
Always point out that the football often spoils a good day out, enjoy the company and routine post and pre match

nikkk

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Feb 8, 2011
Just to reiterate ..... for me anyway...

Umm yes Simon, it's absolutely, 100% about the first team winning and nothing else to us mate.

Not sure what Simon H was thinking when he said it wasn't.

Frank Butcher

šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æ
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I didn't get the context of the interview but I suspect he was talking in reference to Adams. Sounds like he may have been referring to his influence in other aspects of the business.

And to be clear 'It's not just about results' in no way suggests that it isn't the most important thing - just that there is more to running a football club.

Context is everything - I didn't hear it, but that would be my guess.

nikkk

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Feb 8, 2011
Frank_Butcher said:
I didn't get the context of the interview but I suspect he was talking in reference to Adams. Sounds like he may have been referring to his influence in other aspects of the business.

And to be clear 'It's not just about results' in no way suggests that it isn't the most important thing - just that there is more to running a football club.

Context is everything - I didn't hear it, but that would be my guess.[/quo

No. There are of course many aspects to running a football club .... but all of which come behind the first team winning.

Frank Butcher

šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æ
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
nikkk":7l1eurbv said:
Frank_Butcher":7l1eurbv said:

Context is everything - I didn't hear it, but that would be my guess.

No. There are of course many aspects to running a football club .... but all of which come behind the first team winning.

Yep - and in that quote he didn't say anything to the contrary, did he?

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 30, 2004
nikkk":1o1xigsv said:
Just to reiterate ..... for me anyway...

Umm yes Simon, it's absolutely, 100% about the first team winning and nothing else to us mate.

Not sure what Simon H was thinking when he said it wasn't.

its all about results results and results.The club are looking to accommodate 500 diners in the refurbished business lounge.You need a winning team to do that.....

jespafc

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
up_the_line":3t7zm0yj said:

I hope we start winning again mainly so we move up the table, but also so that you disappear from Pasoti again and we don't have to read your condescending drivel.