It's not just about results. | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

It's not just about results.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
HC Green":1fbsyppa said:
oldage":1fbsyppa said:
To me our Wembley embarrassment set the tone for Adams tenure. Gives the fans hope than when it really matters we fall short of glory.Football is a results business and I agree to lose at Wembley was an experience to be forgotten.

I could counter that by saying the experience on the final whistle at Anfield and at Crawley wont be forgotten.

And at Portsmouth. The Playoff final was a success, the occasion just got the better of us and we should have won that game.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
r4h4al":1wresm6y said:
HC Green":1wresm6y said:
oldage":1wresm6y said:
To me our Wembley embarrassment set the tone for Adams tenure. Gives the fans hope than when it really matters we fall short of glory.Football is a results business and I agree to lose at Wembley was an experience to be forgotten.

I could counter that by saying the experience on the final whistle at Anfield and at Crawley wont be forgotten.

And at Portsmouth. The Playoff final was a success, the occasion just got the better of us and we should have won that game.
Why should we have won? We were absolutely dreadful.

Losing isn't success.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Steve.PAFC2012":9uu8nyne said:
r4h4al":9uu8nyne said:
HC Green":9uu8nyne said:
oldage":9uu8nyne said:

Losing isn't success.

We still manages to get to the final, something the previous manager failed to do. The following year we gained automatic promotion, something the previous manager also failed to do.

Sep 6, 2006
GreenThing":2tkwv4kc said:
Steve.PAFC2012":2tkwv4kc said:
r4h4al":2tkwv4kc said:
HC Green":2tkwv4kc said:
oldage":2tkwv4kc said:

Losing isn't success.

We still manages to get to the final, something the previous manager failed to do. The following year we gained automatic promotion, something the previous manager also failed to do.

He also didn't take us from the relegation zone to the play offs something the previous manager did.

Sep 6, 2006
r4h4al":qo9prs6c said:
HC Green":qo9prs6c said:
oldage":qo9prs6c said:

The playoff final was a success! Haha heard it all now. Must have been fake news then.

Sep 6, 2006
HC Green":25xjz7ob said:
oldage":25xjz7ob said:

We I have forgotten the final whistle at Crawley already!

Oct 31, 2015
r4h4al":1b1xd09w said:
Of course it's a success especially as it only happens every 20 years.

Getting there was kind of a success although we curled up and had our tummy tickled on the run in Only winning 5 in 13 after being in such a good position then the day at Wembley was awful.

The semis against Pompey were nice mind :)

Mar 23, 2013
Adams is out of his depth....he’s deluded...he has no idea what team to play...he’s arrogant...he’s stubborn...he brings in more sh#te players than good ......he has a 5 year deal....his head is firmly up the chairman’s arse and staying there.....so it’s safe to say he’s definitely taking us down.......but that’s ok because he has got us promotion from league 2 before so he can do it again.......it’s safe to say I want him out and never wanted him in....he’s a clown.

Sep 6, 2006
r4h4al":9cbwrt6n said:

Such low aspirations if you think missing out on automatics followed being outplayed at Wembley by a small team counts as success.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
finegreen":3iwtmheb said:
Adams is out of his depth....he’s deluded...he has no idea what team to play...he’s arrogant...he’s stubborn...he brings in more sh#te players than good ......he has a 5 year deal....his head is firmly up the chairman’s arse and staying there.....so it’s safe to say he’s definitely taking us down.......but that’s ok because he has got us promotion from league 2 before so he can do it again.......it’s safe to say I want him out and never wanted him in....he’s a clown.

I am out of breath reading that sentence.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Never wanted him in either! That’s one hell of a bit of foresight.

If we’re doing ridiculous insults, then you finegreen are a complete tool :)

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Balham_Green":1xecafoi said:
r4h4al":1xecafoi said:

Such low aspirations if you think missing out on automatics followed being outplayed at Wembley by a small team counts as success.

When I started going to Argyle in the 80’s, I started going with no expectations. Everyone knew Argyle are crap, but they’re our team. I had no expectations at all, but we went along hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I still go along hoping to be successful but not expecting anything. With this in mind, the success under Sturrock came as a complete surprise to me.

Someone said on another thread that football and supporting football has changed and I agree. With the amount of televised football and the depth of analysis has made the level of scrutiny rocket and with that the amount of criticism has also gone skywards. People have high expectations and get angry when those expectations are not met.

Personally I prefer the old way of supporting your team. No expectations and anything better is a bonus, but it seems I’m one of a dying breed.

So going back to the success of Wembley, no it wasn’t a success but it was a day out which doesn’t come along very often and I wasn’t too disappointed as I didn’t expect anything else.

Aug 5, 2016
Balham_Green":1r2pw3tk said:
r4h4al":1r2pw3tk said:

They were hardly a small team, Tom Elliott is 6' 4" and Akinfenwa is no dwarf.

A

andyr1963

Balham_Green":2uyqhocr said:
r4h4al":2uyqhocr said:

Low aspirations? Success only every 20 years. Not far wrong. In over forty years watching Argyle I have seen TWO Championship winning teams, One FA Cup semi final and One League Cup semi final, Low aspirations / expectations NAH a healthy dose of reality.
Football success is a very rare and beautiful thing when your club is based in a comparatively poor city, in an out of the way geographical location. :sigh: