Jephers coming to other Clubs attention | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jephers coming to other Clubs attention

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
The best way to up his price is to give him a big contract. A transfer fee of ten times his annual salary with 3-4 years remaining on his contract is pretty normal. If he were to be on £9,500 per week, negotiations can be around £5 million without any questions asked.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
GreenThing":2f9jpf46 said:
Devongreenowl":2f9jpf46 said:
IJN":2f9jpf46 said:
Not me, I said we should ask for £10m. Subtlety isn't a Yorkshireman's strength is it? :lol:

Well, tha can ask what tha like. Tha not getting!

He’s OUR player. If anyone wants him enough, they can pay OUR asking price.

This is exactly how I see it too. What wages he is on is irrelevant in my eyes.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Devongreenowl":3usvtsn4 said:
So Paul Mariner who was a proven striker in the second tier of English football, was sold for the equivalent of about 1.5m today (in actual fact, two players, one of whom was crocked). Did somebody earlier say Jeph could fetch 10m? :funny: :funny: :funny:
'twas i tha knows.worth every penny of ten million pounds.i agree about ladapo,vastly over thought of by many in my opinion,i was shocked and delighted to get 1/2 a million quid for him.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Emu":288hwoaj said:
GreenThing":288hwoaj said:
Devongreenowl":288hwoaj said:
IJN":288hwoaj said:
Not me, I said we should ask for £10m. Subtlety isn't a Yorkshireman's strength is it? :lol:

What salary he is on is very relevant. The transfer fee is primarily the compensation to the club for the loss of the contract. That's why it drastically reduces as the end of the contract gets closer.

Apr 1, 2009
GreenThing":3iguq8yr said:
Devongreenowl":3iguq8yr said:
IJN":3iguq8yr said:

Yes, and that's always happened throughout Argyle's history, hasn't it? The club has decided on a high asking price, stuck to it, and the purchasing club has happily paid that price, regardless of any other factors involved? It's great that it's that easy.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Lundan Cabbie":2skk99x8 said:
Emu":2skk99x8 said:
GreenThing":2skk99x8 said:
Devongreenowl":2skk99x8 said:
IJN":2skk99x8 said:

What salary he is on is very relevant. The transfer fee is primarily the compensation to the club for the loss of the contract. That's why it drastically reduces as the end of the contract gets closer.

I understand the length of contract, but why should salary come into play? Surely if a club is desperate for a striker who knocks in a large amount of goals they will pay for it. This is a two way thing.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Because for instance, if Argyle were unwise enough to have only given him a years contract extension, then he can go for free in the summer. In which case, all the cards lie with the potential buyer, or indeed with the player who can negotiate a big signing on fee when he leaves for nowt if the club don’t accept a deal.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Emu":33k1pxm2 said:
Lundan Cabbie":33k1pxm2 said:
Emu":33k1pxm2 said:
GreenThing":33k1pxm2 said:
Devongreenowl":33k1pxm2 said:
IJN":33k1pxm2 said:

I understand the length of contract, but why should salary come into play? Surely if a club is desperate for a striker who knocks in a large amount of goals they will pay for it. This is a two way thing.

The salary offered to a player is seen (especially by agents) to be the basis of the valuation of the player. As has been said previously, if a player is carrying a price tag then his wages should reflect that. Of course there will be exceptions if a buying club has set it's sights on the player and are prepared to pay whatever but how often does that happen at this level?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I wonder what Minamino, Mané, Firmino, Henderson, and Salah are worth collectively? :whistle:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":iz4pqn3w said:
I wonder what Minamino, Mané, Firmino, Henderson, and Salah are worth collectively? :whistle:

Hahaha.... not the best of weekends

Palace and Argyle can only dream of that sort of quality throughout their teams. . Both of us have sailed too close to the abyss in the last ten years. It's a long way back and recovery will be slow for both clubs.

C

Cult Of Personality

No where ready for a championship club.

Whilst he has that fox in the box quality. There are alot of things he still needs to work on.

He lacks higher league pace and lacks a trick or to beat a man .

I rate him but he still very raw in my eyes the one thing he does have for him is a good footballing brain and the ability to make a yard of space in the box but for his career he should stay with argyle and develop a couple more seasons before he is even ready for a higher league

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Lundan Cabbie":12gg9fpg said:
IJN":12gg9fpg said:

Hahaha.... not the best of weekends

Palace and Argyle can only dream of that sort of quality throughout their teams. . Both of us have sailed too close to the abyss in the last ten years. It's a long way back and recovery will be slow for both clubs.

Very modest of you Lundan. Truth is, Argyle can only dream of having the sort of quality that Palace have got. As can Wednesday at present, before anybody else points it out.

Apr 30, 2011
Devongreenowl":mk33s9uy said:
Because for instance, if Argyle were unwise enough to have only given him a years contract extension, then he can go for free in the summer. In which case, all the cards lie with the potential buyer, or indeed with the player who can negotiate a big signing on fee when he leaves for nowt if the club don’t accept a deal.

It would be a tribunal as he is under 24, unless he was to move abroad. We did okayish when Curtis Nelson went to Oxford so if he did leave at the end of the season, I think we would get a moderate fee with big sell on clauses.

Aug 5, 2016
Emu":1wtb3ir6 said:
GreenThing":1wtb3ir6 said:
Devongreenowl":1wtb3ir6 said:
IJN":1wtb3ir6 said:

It is very relevant to the player!!

Say he is on £1,500 a week currently. Cardiff want to buy him and have told his agent they will give him £12,000 a week with a signing on fee.

Can you honestly say you would come in and carry on doing your job with a spring in your step, knowing the club had turned down an offer that would change your life and career?

Ian Holloway alluded to the issue with David Norris. Norris was very underpaid at Argyle, and other clubs were aware of it. They put in offers and Argyle turned them down. We had a top end Championship level midfielder on the wage of a crap one, which was obviously a great situation for Argyle. It was going to take a decent fee to change that.

Holloway said it was unfair to the player to keep turning down transfer bids that would have trebled his earnings if we weren't prepared to increase his wage ourselves. So he went to the board and said exactly that, his top players needed to be on more money if we wanted to keep them and not have this issue affect our performances.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Cult Of Personality":a8nwg793 said:
No where ready for a championship club.

Whilst he has that fox in the box quality. There are alot of things he still needs to work on.

He lacks higher league pace and lacks a trick or to beat a man .

Agree with what you're saying, but it's not like players in the Championship or even Premier League are the finished article.

A young fox in the box that can score 10-15+ goals in the Championship equals a £5-10m player nowadays... or at least pre-Covid which could be the kicker. Not saying we will get that, but that is/was the valuation of such a player.

He's got a great pass on him too and and can drop a tad deeper if required, so I think he's in the Harry Kane mould rather than a tricky speed merchant.